• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Parasyte -the maxim-

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Great adaptation so far by Madhouse. Given it's a 2 cour, I expect a lot of other stuff to be covered but this show impresses me quite a bit from this season :3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jajanken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Madhouse proving again that they are the best. Some stuff isn't in chronological order in the show but it doesn't mean it didn't cover it. Very faithful adaption and great music plus visual. Can't wait for more eps.
navycherub

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
What this show also should bring out of fans is how it understands that it is adapting. So many anime and manga fans believe that adaptation's highest form comes in fidelity, but that really isn't true - it is so much more interesting to play with the source material and create something unique and new, even if the actual events that take place are the same.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I very much agree with Nick's review of the first three eppies. I wonder why it took so long to be adapted?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I almost missed on watching this anime because I had no idea that it was adapting an old manga, and the key art I saw looked kind of meh. I decided to check the anime out because I heard good things about it, and I am so glad I did.

In my opinion this year had not had any truly remarkable series. I had not found a new series that I could find worthy of calling it "best anime of the year", but, thankfully, Parasyte came along to change that.

I am enjoying this series that is smartly written, makes you think and has appealing characters. I have no idea how faithful of an anime adaptation Parasyte is, but all that matters to me is that the end result is great.

Yes, Parasyte - the maxim- is a Very good anime. I hope it remains strong to be considered the best anime series of 2014.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
So far, the only thing I don't like about this show is the music--ugh! That dubstep!--but everything else, the animation, pace, voice acting, sound effects and visuals is gold. I already love the plot and characters from the manga, and this is shaping up to be a great adaptation.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
I'm definably enjoying this anime

It is well paced, well animated, the interaction between Migi and Izumi is fascinating to watch.

I also have to thank Mr. Creamer for I completely missed the thematic metaphors he mentioned. I knew there was some tension between Migi and Izumi in terms of ideals but I didn't think about the show putting human ideals under a more animalistic perspective.

Looks like this year has three home runs: Psycho Pass 2, Fate/ Stay Night and Parasyte
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:52 am Reply with quote
Excellent series so far, great review. I hadn't quite digested the implications of a parasite being a host yet, so thanks for highlighting that and some of the other metaphors as well. Right now I'm just caught up in absorbing the story itself before analyzing what it might be trying to say. On either level, I think it's going to be an interesting ride.
Levonr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:19 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I very much agree with Nick's review of the first three eppies. I wonder why it took so long to be adapted?

I think Hollywood had the rights for ten years or more so that didn't help.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And though the show's music can sometimes clash...

Aww... don't tell me you don't like the wubwubwub. Best moments by far.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
Quote:
And though the show's music can sometimes clash...

Aww... don't tell me you don't like the wubwubwub. Best moments by far.

Hell, I like dubstep, and right from episode one, the score in Parasyte stuck out to me as the biggest flaw in the slaw. The wubwub doesn't work very well, but even the lackadaisical "normal high school days" music is overactive, generic, and distracting. Confused

Everything else is great though! Very Happy
krelyan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Go figure, but I can't stand dubstep yet have never found it distracting in this show.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:52 am Reply with quote
So seems the 'Parasyte' anime is doing pretty good. I haven't read the comic as it took forever for us to acquire all the vols. I am curious how close anime adaptation is to the original source material.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Another strong anime episode of Parasyte. There is not much I can say that Nick has already covered. I continue to enjoy the philosophical themes and it is nice to see (human) characters in anime that actually think and act like real life people.
navycherub

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I particularly like the soundtrack, especially the dubstep - it really marks the parasite sequences, makes them stand out as something truly otherworldly. Reminds me a lot of how the second part of JoJo used dubstep for the pillar men action sequences actually. Also, love Fear, and Loathing in Los Vegas whenever they get to do anison.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 19