• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Sunny Side Up

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I usually love stories like Doubt and Judge, but neither series has done anything for me. The main problem is, there's not enough strategy, and what there is always comes from people other than the protagonist. The fun of these series is always the insane game theory part, but Tonogai largely skips that in favor people wandering in dark industrial buildings. Plus, a story like this needs more characters so there's more chance of interpersonal conflicts without having to make everyone such extreme personality types.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't get the hate for Erina. Sure, she isn't my favorite female in the series, but she doesn't strike me as nearly as annoying as the review states. She's pretty much your basic tsundere/hime type character, and there are a lot of people who love her for that.

Anyway, I adore Shokugeki no Soma, and I have had this volume preordered for months. It's nice to know the recipes are still being included.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
The fun of these series is always the insane game theory part, but Tonogai largely skips that in favor people wandering in dark industrial buildings.

That's it! I haven't quite been able to put my finger on the problem with Tonogai's works, but you're right - that's his basic issue. It's a shame, because his series really do have potential.

Cyclone1993 wrote:
She's pretty much your basic tsundere/hime type character, and there are a lot of people who love her for that.

I guess so (about the character type; I don't doubt that lots of people love her), she just seems somehow more...I don't know, power-hungry than others of the type. Or unscrupulous, or something. Honestly, what annoys me about her is the way she abuses her power, although I'm sure there could be a good explanation behind it; insecurity maybe. Well, we'll just agree to disagree about her, I guess. Smile
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
How does Lizzie Newton: Victorian Mysteries compare to Young Miss Holmes which (coincidentally?) was also published by Seven Seas?

Is it a essentially a collection of short stories?
Is the end of volume 2 also the end of a story?
Regardless of the answers I am going to see if I can get this from the library.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
As a foodie, I will help you decide what to do with SnS: Buy it!!! Very Happy
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
How does Lizzie Newton: Victorian Mysteries compare to Young Miss Holmes which (coincidentally?) was also published by Seven Seas?

Yes! I was so confused when I saw a preview for Lizzie Newton and she didn't mention she was Sherlock's niece, because I totally thought the two were the same somehow. Based on that (really short) preview and this review, vs. a preview I saw for Young Miss Holmes, Lizzie Newton looks a whole lot more interesting. It stars an adult heroine, for one, and it doesn't beat the dead horse of Holmes association, for another. I'm not much into mysteries, but I really do want to check it out now (are you listening, Seven Seas)?

Sunny sounds so good now. I thought it was some confusing, metaphor filled series, but this review made it really stand out as a tale of abandoned kids. Totally on my list now.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Touma wrote:

Yes! I was so confused when I saw a preview for Lizzie Newton and she didn't mention she was Sherlock's niece, because I totally thought the two were the same somehow.

Lizzie Newton is the stronger of the two series, in my opinion. Like Agent355 said, she's an adult (or at least more adult) heroine and while there are Holmsian similarities, it stands on its own without the gimmick. The art is beautiful as well (I want her dresses...) and the story feels very much like the sensation novels Lizzie writes - in fact, in the back of the second one, there's a excerpt from one of her books, which was not only fun, but a great way to help fix the setting in readers' minds. (Especially if they aren't Victoriana junkies like me.) I do wonder if the confusion you two expressed is why this got abandoned, though...

Agent355, I'm so glad I made Sunny clearer to you! It's a beautiful, albeit bittersweet, series.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Thanks! Hey, what *is* the difference between a butler, a valet and a steward? Based on Downton Abbey, I would think a valet is a personal assistant, and a butler is the male equivalent of head maid...?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Correct! A valet is the masculine equivalent of a lady's maid (personal servant), who helps a gentleman dress, shave, all that stuff - you know, what anime usually shows a butler doing. Evil or Very Mad A butler is the male head of staff, in charge of the other male servants and responsible for keeping the household running smoothly. A steward is a little more complex - he could be simply in charge of running the lands of an estate (farm and village management) or he could be running the household as a representative of the master, so not in the way a butler does, but rather giving the butler instructions. In Lizzie Newton, there's some butler/steward confusion.

(And these are all really simple explanations, but you get the idea. Smile )
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I MISS LIZZIE NEWTON: VICTORIAN MYSTERIES SO MUCH!

I Really loved that series. Yes it is not very historically accurate but it is reasonably close and it actually uses that to go into the history of a lot of the technics used in mystery series.

The characters are also really good. Lizze is not at all perfect and I love her for it. the characters aside from the male lead are very well developed I think, and they are all very fun to be around.

This series is definitely much better then young miss holmes I think. Though comparing them does feel a little unfair to miss holmes since they aren't really that comparable at all aside from the main characters being girls in what is supposed to be Victorian England.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
While there has been a lot of love on the internet for Lizzie Newton, sadly, it hasn't shown in the sales of the actual print volumes.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:25 am Reply with quote
That makes me sad to hear. I have them and I love them. Would releasing the remaining volumes in omnibus format be possible?
Conner Crooks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
That makes me sad to hear. I have them and I love them. Would releasing the remaining volumes in omnibus format be possible?

Not likely. It's been sometime, so it's hard to say how much of a difference an omnibus re-release would make at this point.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading the Lizzie Newton series when Seven Seas had I think the entire first volume online, free to read, and then I read a review of the second volume and it sounded like that was the end of the series and that it cut off really suddenly. So I'm happy to at least have that cleared up, was it a Korean manhwa?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:55 am Reply with quote
Yes, it is manhwa. I'm sorry to hear that it doesn't really have a chance of getting finished, but I did sort of expect that. Thanks for bringing the first two volumes, Connor and Adam! This reader loves them. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2