• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kantai Collection Commercial Previews Opening Theme

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh the same singer that did Amagi Brilliant Park's OP. I could get used to this then. Mixed feelings on the CM though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Still need some confirmation on Musashi. You can't not have the two bigguns of the fleet.
pandoraking

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
and akino does it again. what an amazing opening
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
OP sounds nice and the visuals look promising (that sunset)
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Like the OP for sure, I just wish there was a list of who's going to be in the anime, I do know the Vita port will have most of the popular and cult favorites in it (including the subs, which none of the anime PVs have shown yet).
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The only ones who can counter this threat are Kan-musume (literally, warship girls), girls who possess the spirit of naval vessels from days gone by.

I question how inanimate objects had spirits to begin with, but at least this explains why the girls appear to be fuse to naval base weaponry. Who knows maybe in the anime it might explain how these vessels had souls to being with. Anyway, the opening sounds nice so far. I'm still looking forward to this. I'll be sure to keep this anime in mind for next year/month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
I question how inanimate objects had spirits to begin with, but at least this explains why the girls appear to be fuse to naval base weaponry. Who knows maybe in the anime it might explain how these vessels had souls to being with.

Inanimate objects gaining spirits is in Japanese folklore-- an object that has been in existence long enough (100+ years) gains a spirit of its own. Of course, the idea isn't unique to Japan, but there's some context for you. Very Happy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsukumogami
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Happiness for Subaru wrote:
Aquasakura wrote:
I question how inanimate objects had spirits to begin with, but at least this explains why the girls appear to be fuse to naval base weaponry. Who knows maybe in the anime it might explain how these vessels had souls to being with.

Inanimate objects gaining spirits is in Japanese folklore-- an object that has been in existence long enough (100+ years) gains a spirit of its own. Of course, the idea isn't unique to Japan, but there's some context for you. Very Happy

They can also be possessed by a spirit (usually of it's former owner) at anytime, if you ever bought an antique and you hear creaking or in rare cases the item being moved a few inches when you aren't looking, it might be haunted.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Ships and sea folklore is also open to the idea of ships taking on unique personalities. At least we won't have to suffer any stupid complaints of why they have to be girls, it should be obvious.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote

Hoppy800 wrote:

They can also be possessed by a spirit (usually of it's former owner) at anytime, if you ever bought an antique and you hear creaking or in rare cases the item being moved a few inches when you aren't looking, it might be haunted.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Ships and sea folklore is also open to the idea of ships taking on unique personalities. At least we won't have to suffer any stupid complaints of why they have to be girls, it should be obvious.

Thanks for sharing the possible ideas for this everyone. Smile I actually forgot that Japan had something in folklore that dealt with inanimate objects coming to life (though I have never heard of these tsukumogami) so I can see this idea could be a reference to that.

As for ship and sea folklore I am not all that familiar with it, and because of this I don't think I know what you mean by why it should be obvious the main characters are girls (or I just can;t think of any sea related folklore I know that involve women with the exception of mermaids). I never put much thought into the cast being all female, and thought it was for a means to target the male demography (considering what this anime is adapted from). Care to explain for me walw6pK4Alo? With that said I can also see the creators perhaps also making a reference to such folklore (since the story does take place close to the ocean.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Eztli_

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
As for ship and sea folklore I am not all that familiar with it, and because of this I don't think I know what you mean by why it should be obvious the main characters are girls (or I just can;t think of any sea related folklore I know that involve women with the exception of mermaids). I never put much thought into the cast being all female, and thought it was for a means to target the male demography (considering what this anime is adapted from). Care to explain for me walw6pK4Alo? With that said I can also see the creators perhaps also making a reference to such folklore (since the story does take place close to the ocean.

It's pretty common to reffer ships/vessels as girls. I've met many people in the ships/vessels markets that reffered their ships as girls.

I think this is a nice summary, albeit in a homorus way.
http://drbj.hubpages.com/hub/Why-is-Ship-Called-She
---
Kinda sad that Zuikaku and Shokaku haven't been announced (yet). Sad

Personally, I hope that Funimation will get the streaming and Home Video rights.
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
People tend to refer to cars and ships as "she". Here are a few anecdotal explanations.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070227170219AAuDZl3
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:10 am Reply with quote
Can't wait, song sounds good. I was not expecting her as the op. singer, but its nice to see Akino doing more anime themes. Aside from Amagi she was pretty quiet animewise after the Aquarions.
bhl88

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote

Reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF5Qbi1IWRY
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Eztli_ wrote:

It's pretty common to reffer ships/vessels as girls. I've met many people in the ships/vessels markets that reffered their ships as girls.

I think this is a nice summary, albeit in a homorus way.
http://drbj.hubpages.com/hub/Why-is-Ship-Called-She

Those are some interesting reasons, especially reasons # 2, 4, 9, and 10. It gives me more of an idea of why the cast is female (as well as other ideas for future stories maybe). Thank you!

Going off topic concerning this statement made on the blog you shared:

Quote:
Countries are also called “she”

I have been thinking about this since this conversation started (actually it's been longer than that as it has come on off in my head). I have been thinking it would be funny that in the Hetalia universe a person would refer to their country as "she" only to find out that the country they were addressing was actually a male. For instance a person who lives in the United States would constantly refer to his homeland as "she", but when the person becomes president and meets America learns that he was a dude the whole time.

People tend to refer to cars and ships as "she". Here are a few anecdotal explanations.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070227170219AAuDZl3

bhl88 wrote:

After going through all of the links I have a general idea why ships are refer to as "she" (that video you link to bhl88 had a very simple, short answer that was straight to the point). Thanks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1