• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation App Launches on PlayStation 3

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
Sounds like another bill to pay for anime, not sure if I'm happy or sad about this.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:01 am Reply with quote
BigHeadClan wrote:
Sounds like another bill to pay for anime, not sure if I'm happy or sad about this.

Probably only for the premium service's, like Crunchyroll's.

And while we've also waited years for a PS3 Funi app, we already realized, based on Funi's other software, that this one would likely bugged-up crap. (Where CR's isn't).
I'll have to test it out and see whether six years of guessing turned out to be right. Confused

Last edited by EricJ2 on Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:02 am Reply with quote
Good for them, but I can't afford another yearly subscription. Besides, there latest tities are lackluster anyway. Even Neon Alley... If The Anime Network at Sentai Filmworks can get an app on ps3 & ps4, then we'll be in business!
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
The Xbox's version is still better. The PS3's needs a few updates before it's up to snuff. Like a Queue for instance. I couldn't believe it didn't have a queue when I started it up.

The only real upside to it is that it runs much smoother than the 360's.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote
It's about time. I'm almost certain to start a subscription now.

Thanks, Funimation.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
Neat. I might get a month to try it out.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:11 am Reply with quote
About freaking time. My subscription has been wasting away since I'm too stubborn to watch TV on my computer..
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:52 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Funimation will launch this app on other console like Wii U, Xbox One? If they launch it on PS3, where's one for the PS4?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Advanced features such as Search and Queue will be added early in 2015

A library as large as Funimation's, and no search feature? Wow, don't knock yourselves out, guys.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I'll check this out. However, CR always had a better tech background for streaming and their app required a lot of patience and a dedication to "I will stream this on a console no matter how terrible the experience is" for a good year+ before it got to an acceptable level where I could recommend it to a friend without fearing it'd crash and hard lock their system and completely turn them off to every using anything associated with CR again. Not sure if I could sit through that again, even if there were free, ad-based viewing options.
deidara517

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
i checked this out already and while theres no type in search feature yet there is a way to browse the entire catalog by the first letter of each anime series so you dont have to search all the shows if your looking for Baccano just go to the letter B and youll only be limited to about 6 series all in alphabetical order.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I'll check this out. However, CR always had a better tech background for streaming and their app required a lot of patience and a dedication to "I will stream this on a console no matter how terrible the experience is" for a good year+ before it got to an acceptable level where I could recommend it to a friend without fearing it'd crash and hard lock their system and completely turn them off to every using anything associated with CR again. Not sure if I could sit through that again, even if there were free, ad-based viewing options.

CR's free-with-ads tablet streaming isn't too bad, even if it's the ads that sometimes get "stuck", and you have to zoom out and back in just to get them going again. Otherwise, the shows themselves stream nicely.

The only problem is that Funi has been getting some of the more big-scale series, and the reviews have scared me off of even trying to look at Funi's tablet app. Shocked
DillMan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
The day after I get a PS4 and unplug my PS3 .... makes sense.

Seriously though, that is good to see it is getting more support on consoles now. It would be nice to watch on my couch rather than at my computer.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
Finally. I will get their yearly elite subscription as long as it is under $60.

bs3311 wrote:
If The Anime Network at Sentai Filmworks can get an app on ps3 & ps4, then we'll be in business!

Not me. I think that paying to stream Sentai dubs is a waste of money. And most of their stuff is already on CR.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
PS3 seems to be up, and I can finally get a look at the thing--
And unfortunately, unlike Crunchyroll, most of what Funi had on their catalog, they already barged ahead and licensed to Netflix. (Except for the first season of Spice & Wolf.)

Of the non-Netflix titles, I suppose I'm a little curious to get back into Is This a Zombie? that I had to drop after my Hulu subscription, but not enough that I'd pay a monthly subscription, and Gonna Be the Twin-Tail, even less so.
(And no classic Sailor Moon??)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2