• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shuriken Sentai Nin'ninger Cast, Staff, 1st Promo Revealed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
This would be so much watchable sans the awful CGI mecha, and really, the awful mecha in general. I do love the suits though.
midori kou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
An improvement from ToQger... However, ninjas again? =/
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
While Nin'ninger is going to air when the anniversary is it's not the 40th anniversary team. (which won't be till 2016).

It looks like they're trying to cash in on the boom of yokai watch with the theme tho..
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:

Unfortunately, ratings for Super Sentai are at historic lows right now, so Toei is going with themes that have been popular in the past. The previous ninja-themed show was one of the highest-rated ever, so I guess they're trying to recapture that.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
By the time this starts, it will have been 13 years since the previous Ninja-themed series (Hurricaneger of 2002, which was adapted into Ninja Storm). Prior to that, it was 8 years since the previous to that Ninja-themed series (Kakuranger of 1994, whose mechs were used in MMPR season 3, and suits were used for the Alien Rangers). This is only the third Ninja-themed series.

Kyoryuger, the series from 2013, which will be adapted into Dino Charge next year, was also the third of its theme, in this case, dinosaurs. Prior to that was Abaranger (2003, adapted into Dino Thunder) and Zyuuranger (1992, adapted into MMPR).

Cars, another repeated theme, has been used in Go-Onger (2008, adapted into RPM), Carranger (1996, adapted into Turbo), and Turboranger (1989, not adapted into PR). You can also add in ToQger (trains, 2014) and GoGo-V (emergency vehicles, 1999) as "vehicle"-themed series.

Animals (in some form or another) are probably the most oft-used motif, having been used in Sun Vulcan (1981), Changeman (legendary creatures, 1985), Liveman (1988), Jetman (birds, 1991), Dairanger (mythological Chinese creatures, 1993, mechs and Kiba Ranger suit used in MMPR season 2), Gaoranger (2001, adapted into Wild Force), and Gekiranger (2007, adapted into Jungle Fury).

Considering that this is the 39th series, and that there's only so many motifs that appeal to children, it's not surprising that themes are repeated. The fact that they waited 13 years since the previous ninja-themed series (which got not only a 2-parter in Gokaiger, but a reunion special as well), shows that they're paying attention to the fleeting demographic. The children who watched the last series, for the most part, are not watching the series anymore, and those who will be watching this one were not alive then.

Personally, I'm looking forward to this. Ninja Storm, IMO, is the best Power Rangers, and I've been wanting to check out Hurricaneger. Furthermore, I adore the suit designs.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't disagree more on the mech, I think it looks great, and a vast improvement over th ToQger mech.

Also, interesting to see a female white & pink on the same team. Normally, if the white ranger is female, she's used in place of pink.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Im really pumped about Shuriken Sentai Nin'ninger. It looks way better then the last few I'm hoping it delivers.
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:

It's Japan. They're are always ninjas there no matter what Era they're from.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
If the ratings are so low and Toei is using ninjas again, they must be really desperate. They could just put the franchise on an indefinite hiatus until more demand picks up.

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:
Also, interesting to see a female white & pink on the same team. Normally, if the white ranger is female, she's used in place of pink.

Not really.

+ indicates member joined later
* indicates female Rangers

Teams with White Rangers:
JAKQ - Red, Blue, Green, *Pink + White
Changeman - Red, Blue, Black, *Pink, *White
Jetman - Red, *Blue, Black, Yellow, *White
Dairanger - Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, *Pink + White
Kakuranger - Red, Blue, Black, Yellow, *White
Gaoranger - Red, Blue, Black, Yellow, *White
Abaranger - Red, Blue, *Yellow + Black + White
Dekaranger - Red, Blue, Green, *Yellow, *Pink + White + Black + *White/Orange + Gold + Silver
Gekiranger - Red, Blue, *Yellow, Purple, White

So, we've got 2 teams with Pink and White, 5 teams with Yellow and White, and 2 with Pink, Yellow, and White (one of which has 2 white). There are more with Yellow and White, but it's not overwhelmingly so.

Additionally, while White has been female 5 times, White has also been male 5 times. On teams with male White, the female members have been Pink 2 times, Yellow 2 times, and the team had both Pink and Yellow once. On teams with Female White, there has been another female as Pink once, another female as Blue once, both Pink and Yellow once, and no female twice.

This means that among teams with female White, it's actually more common to have a second female as Pink than any other color.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
And only one of those teams had both a female pink AND a female white, which is what I said was unusual. Because normally they either have a male white, or a female white & no pink. The only one you listed that had both female was Changeman, and that was almost 30 years ago.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Sentai and Kamen Rider's ratings have been declining for awhile now. It's just general TV viewership declining, it has nothing to do with the franchises. The toy sales are what matters in the end.

NateSelwyn25 wrote:
This would be so much watchable sans the awful CGI mecha, and really, the awful mecha in general. I do love the suits though.

None of the mecha are CG, they're all props, costumes, and practical effects.

I'm looking forward to Ninninger. I really liked ToQger, especially when it hit its stride around episode 20. Last week's episode was amazing and I really loved the villains in this series. The Shadow Line and Deboss Legion have been some of the best sentai villains the franchise has had.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1