• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
James Cameron Delays Avatar Sequels Until Late 2017

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
Looks like 2017 is going to be a year for some pretty big films huh?

I'm honestly looking forward to Avatar so hope it won't be delayed again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
Is this an ANN news article because it might delay the production of Battle Angel?

Just curious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Is this an ANN news article because it might delay the production of Battle Angel?

Just curious.

That could be possible.
Desslok

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
Hopefully this means that he's clearing the decks for a proper Terminator flick, since the rights are about to revert to him here anytime now.

And Battle Angel? Man, he's only been working on that since - what, 1993 now? I wouldn't mind seeing it, but it's vaporware of the highest order. . . . .
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:54 am Reply with quote
Naturally it is. ANN has been talking about the delays to Battle Angel Alita, due to the Avatar sequels for some time now.

Right now it is looking like we will see Battle Angel Alita sometime after the United States starts launching astronauts back into space. Which should be sometime after 2020.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
[...]he and his team are writing the scripts for all three sequel movies simultaneously.

So Avatar is going to be a tetralogy? I knew that Cameron said before Avatar's release in 2009 that if the movie was successful enough, he would make 2 more sequels.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
Problem is nobody cares about 3D anymore so meh.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

I don't know if this should be considered as blanket statement but 3D blu-ray and Smart TV optimized with 3D are still coming out.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Despite being the highest grossing film of all time, 6 years after its release, Avatar surprisingly left zero impact on pop culture and I hardly hear anyone talk about it since its release but whenever anyone does talk about it, it's usually due to big hype backlash for it.

I mean sure, its 3D visual effects are undeniably outstanding but the problem there is that plenty of films have done that better since Avatar's release and hell, I think How to Train Your Dragon in 3D is much better than Avatar's 3D and the less said about the story and characters, the better.

Oh well, at least I got the Marvel Cinematic Universe keeping me good company for many years to come and hopefully, WB/DC won't botch Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice so that they could have a chance in having their DC Cinematic Universe take off.

Last edited by Lycosyncer on Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

I don't know if this should be considered as blanket statement but 3D blu-ray and Smart TV optimized with 3D are still coming out.
That's beside the point. When was the last 3D movie you watched , or rather what is the latest 3D movie that's been just released? How many since Avitar? Where I work we had an entire movie channel dedicated to 3D movies, we took it down last Summer cause everyone who were interested had seen the repeats so many times no one watched it anymore. No new content, no one cares.
Marcus Carr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
This will put it up against Episode VIII.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Marcus Carr wrote:
This will put it up against Episode VIII.

Oh dear, since Star Wars has one of the biggest fandoms ever in pop culture and with Episode VII being one of the most highly anticipated films in 2015 and how Avatar surprisingly doesn't have much of a mark left on pop culture compared to Star Wars, pitting Episode VIII against Avatar 2 is going to be quite the interesting battle at the box office because the idea of seeing James Cameron have a breakdown where he gets beaten by Star Wars is going to be pretty tempting.
kirisaki_kabuto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
@Mohawk52

Not like I don't see your point and yeah the "3d fever" where people thought it was going to be everywhere and the definite future of movies and all that is kind of over now but your exaggeration is worth pointing out.

Out of the 5 highest box offices of 2014, the five biggest hits worldwide, all five of them were released in 3d. In fact this is the same all the way to the 8th highest box office. Out of the 10 highest, 8 of them came out in 3d. According to wikipedia (fastest source I found on short notice) this is the number of films listed as 3d in the years after Avatar:
2010 - 48
2011 - 76
2012 - 61
2013 - 67
2014 - 65

Would the biggest movies have still been big even without 3d? Probably so. But you can't say that 3d is a thing of the past and is dead when it clearly isn't. Sure, it isn't the freshest most wanted thing around but I would say that it'll still be very present in the near future (hell there are already 30 movies listed for 2015 and we're in the middle of January) either we want it or not.

This post was on the verge of overquoting. Edited to look cleaner. --willag
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

I love Avatar and I never even seen it in 3D. James Cameron just makes very entertaining movies and I believe the sequels will still do extremely well even without the same 3D hype.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

If you want a TV with a good quality screen it will have 3D and smart features and probably 4K but they are not wanted feature there just chaff to fill out a spec sheet like that a Blu Ray player can play VCD's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4