• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Set List - Top 10 OPs of 2014

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
There's one other bar, but there were so many others I wanted to vote for! Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii, Selector Spread Wixoss, Re:Hamatora, as well as others! D:

But Cross Ange takes my votes. All of them.
Random 21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
There were so many I wanted to include in the other bar too (Re: Hamatora, One Week Friends and Kill la Kill and Samurai Flamenco if they count). Decided to go with The Kawai Complex for my other since I have a huge soft spot for Fhana.

As for my favourite OP overall, it's either Tokyo Ghoul, since I love the singing style and how the visuals compliment the audio, Mekakucity Actors, because it's probably my favourite Garnidelia song, or Your Lie in April, because Goose House's harmonization is fantastic in that song.

This was a lot of fun to watch, I can't wait to get more of these videos.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Really excited to see that Garo got the number 1 spot because of my love for Jam Project. Always loved JO's top opening of the year and this one's no different. Really cant wait to see the next video.
Flah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I was kind of hoping for the resurrection of Snarky with JO's return to video. Rather disappointing, there, but not something that will put me off. Pretty solid list, but I would kind of disagree with the Tokyo Ghoul OP being on there. Then again, I have an aversion to that particular style of music for some reason.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Cool, a new column. This seems like it'll be pretty interesting going forward.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Very cool column. I look forward to future installments. I assume that future columns will have the top 10 EDs of 2014.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Voted for Nagi No Asukara. Especially, hands down the best OP/EDs of 2013 and 2014 in my book. Not being on the list by default made me very sad.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
i probably would have chosen log horizon's OP or the new fairy tail OP. however considering that its not on this list, Psycho Pass's OP comes in mind. sure kill la kill is good,the same with the OP for SAO II , but PP is more stuck to me than the others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pipoko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Cool list! Always liked your videos so cool to see more of them coming!

If I were to add one, it's definately Knights of Sidonia's opening. At least song-wise. Fits the series, powerful vocals, incredibly catchy overall, but the chorus especially. The CG looks very clunky even in the opening theme, though, which kind of sets it back.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Awesome column! It's great to see Hope doing video content again. Love the production values and visuals.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Pleasantly surprised to see Hanayamata on the list. That show was mostly cute fluff for its run, but the opening was always ridiculously catchy, and I'm a sucker for any kind of dancing animation. I don't know if Hope watched any of it past the first episode, but the characters actually use that song for their big performance at the end too.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
With the poll list, I'm thinking "I remember that show" but no "I remember that opening" apart from Engaged to the Unidentified which was the only one I thought of prior to looking.

Looking though a more complete list {...all of them...}:

No Rin. Yukari Tamura goodness. Is that a thing?
Nobunagun- Protometal, Japanese style? Very striking visually.
Nanana's Buried Treasure. Love the beat and images. I get excited for it each time.
Rail Wars! Better than the show deserved.

And even now, I realize the opening to Rolling Girls beats the crap out of all of these so that's not helping.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Love this new column, Hope. I cannot wait to see what you cover next.

I do wish that the opening to Rage of Bahamut: Genesis made the list, but that is just me.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Garo's OP wasn't a personal favourite, but it's pretty great. Its second OP is a top contender for OP of the current season for me, too. My personal top 2 were Shigatsu and Hanayamata, both songs I've learned the full versions of (I'm neither Japanese-capable nor music-loving enough overall to do this for more than a minority of songs). Other good ones were Barakamon, Mikakunin, UBW, Sidonia, Mushishi and Parasyte. The other from my list that was in the article as well was Ping Pong.

Mikakunin comes just after Hanayamata for sugary catchiness: the very opening, with all the bouncing, is just fantastic. Mushishi Zoku Shou's is no Sore Feet Song, but it is really great and flows with the visuals wonderfully. Then there's Shigatsu's Hikaru Nara, which goes from nice and low-key to full and powerful. It doesn't have a particular angle or style as a hook, I feel, other than solid, good songwriting.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I know hope hates No Game No Life but I was really expecting that to be the I hate this show but love the opening entry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5