• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
If I recall correctly, this is streaming on both Crunchyroll and Funimation. However, it's physical release is being done by PonyCan US which means 4 Episode Chunks, a Really Big Art Box & A Lot Of Goodies for approx $70.

It's a good show, but not for me under those conditions.

Mark Gosdin
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:44 am Reply with quote
Definitely agree with the review.

The middle got kinda boring, but the weird ensured my continued tuning in each week.

But that ending? That was everything I ever wanted from this stupid show. It was glorious. 10/10 would Love Making again.

Not sure if I'd buy it though....though, I am picky when it comes to owning anime.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
It's the humoristic antithesis to Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magika. Smile
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was really, really hoping that since Funi picked it up for streaming it meant they would be releasing the Blu-ray. It would have been perfect for their dub style and a reasonable price.

I really enjoyed this show and would love to show it off to my friends, but it's not a masterpiece worth spending $70 a volume on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I ended up dropping it half way trough, its just wasn't that fun once you go past the funny setting and reference. It ultimately stick too close to the formula for me. And they had a ton of joke that were (I'm guessing) about wordplay, which obviously didn't work for me.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't bring myself to watch any further than the first episode. The only reason I watched it at all was because a friend showed it to me. Honestly, the creepy, wouldn't-take-no-for-an-answer wombat was what really put me off from ever watching any more of it. He controlled them like puppets and no one had any problem with it. He didn't even give them any sort of choice and they just went along with it. It struck me as kind of rapey, actually. And I thought Kyubey was bad.
This is also not at all my kind of show so that may be part of it. Normally I abide by the 3 episode rule, but I just couldn't.
meruru

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
This show has the magical girl parody aspect, plus plenty of far too wrong (but hilarious anyways) humor targeted straight at Japanese fujoshi. Nothing about this show is to be taken seriously. If nothing else, watch it for the the ridiculously cute and evil Lord Zundar, who sits in teacups and wiggles his nose as he plots world domination in an ominously deep voice. That just about killed me. Anime hyper

spoiler[ And also, the ending, with More Better Battle Lovers, More Better Love Making. Never seen a Japanese show so savvy to English language jokes.]
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The show aims particularly at Sailor Moon and other team-based magical girl shows most familiar to Western viewers.

*sigh* See, this is what happens when one of my best friends is a Pretty Cure fanboy and spends hours on Skype dissecting every episode as a Pretty Cure shout-out. Everything from the physical based attacks (which almost never happened in SM minus Sailor Jupiter or the Outer Senshi) to the whole group spoiler[gaining magical angels wings] which happens in one of the Pretty Cure All Star films.

Other than that, this was a fun show that dragged in the middle because of the Monster of the Week format gotten old. Cerulean and Epinard (which means spinach apparently) were my favorite BL (Battle Lovers) and having an all-star cast as the monsters was great. I only wish Funimation gotten the rights so they could dub it. PonyCan are unrealistic by charging $70 per volume.
chito895

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
If PonyCan is going to do the same thing as with Yuki Yuna, then I'll forget about buying this one. It was one of my favorites of the winter season, but I can only pay 40 dollars for all the show, including shipment.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:

*sigh* See, this is what happens when one of my best friends is a Pretty Cure fanboy and spends hours on Skype dissecting every episode as a Pretty Cure shout-out. Everything from the physical based attacks (which almost never happened in SM minus Sailor Jupiter or the Outer Senshi) to the whole group spoiler[gaining magical angels wings] which happens in one of the Pretty Cure All Star films.

Thanks for this. The reviews kept all saying "Sailor Moon parody" but I never saw an ounce of Sailor Moon in this show, other than the color-coded characters. I haven't seen Pretty Cure but it's very obviously inspired by it - even the outfits are similar to the PreCure 5 styles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I love this show so much X3 Yumomoto is my spirit animal lol. Too bad I'm not gonna be able to buy it :/ oh wellz.
championferret

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
This show was a huge disappointment for me overall because I wanted so badly to like it. I wanted it to be fun.
It was sometimes but the writing just relied way too much on the '...but they're GUYS, isnt that WACKY?!' and it got old pretty fast. I just expected something so much funnier considering the writers behind it. A lot of it felt phoned in.

The other problem it had, I felt, is that it couldnt seem to decide who it was aimed at. It advertised itself initially as being a fujoshi kinda show, and then it started off as more of a magical girl parody gag comedy, but then in some episodes it was jarringly serious (although impossible to take seriously). In trying to appeal to too many potential audiences at once it didn't fully commit to any of these facets and so each of them felt half-assed. (Also, there were these weird moments of homophobia that clashed quite a bit with the 'fujoshi will love this' nature it had overall.)

Maybe I'm just getting old. If I was 14 I probably would have eaten this up, I guess.
I did like the last episode, though.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:18 am Reply with quote
This was definitely one of the More Better anime from winter season. It did drag a little in the middle, but the beginning and ending were absolutely brilliant and it never got bad enough to be boring.

Someone from the production team said they would consider a second season if it sold well, and although it wasn't stellar, I think it's averaging above 7K so I hope we do get more of it Very Happy
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:35 am Reply with quote
I'd love to see more of this show, but I kind of wonder how that would work. That was a pretty firm ending. Batsh*t, but firm.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:54 am Reply with quote
The person who wrote the review uses the term 'fujoshi' incorrectly. I'm appalled at the absence of professionalism here Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3