• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sailor Moon SuperS (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote

Sailor Moon SuperS (TV)

Genres: action, magic, romance, slice of life
Themes: bishoujo, henshin, magical girl, sentai

Plot Summary: The senshi fight against the Dead Moon Circus (Zirconia, Nehelenia, the Amazon Trio, the Amazoness Quartet), who wants to ultimately take over the world. This season is heavily centered around Chibi-usa and her relationship with Helios (Pegasus).
----------------------------------

I know this review is very old, but I just want to state my thoughts.

[EDIT: This post is a reply to Volume 1's review from back in '02. -TK]

I agree that the dub is abhorrent, yes, but there's a lot I have to disagree with in this review.

First off, there is a reason why the Amazon Trio are after the Pegasus; they're trying to find a mysterious Golden Mirror he's rumored to be hiding in; that's why the Amazon Trio attack innocent people and try to get their dream mirrors. The reasons how they track them down is clear as day; they're looking at photographs of their targets, deciding which one to go after, then they happen to find them...not everything needs to be explained.

Secondly, the art and animation look fine to me; there actually is shading with the characters on their hair and faces, and even on their Sailor uniforms (during Sailor Moon and Chibi Moon's speeches). I've even noticed shading on the buildings and objects; this scene in particular has some shading and nice shadow effects: http://oi59.tinypic.com/anlnja.jpg

Also, it is a two dimensional cartoon, there's not 3D like in Sailor Moon Crystal.

The art doesn't look sketchy to me; I thought it looked pretty darn sharp, and that shot of the five Inner Senshi didn't look like it was poor quality or lacking in definition; I think the reasons why their faces might not have much detail or the reasons why people in the crowd may have blank faces (I've only seen some with blank faces) is because if people are drawn with a farther away perspective, it's harder to draw a lot of details on the faces.

About the three-dimensional thing or the watercolor, I'm not really an animation expert, but I didn't think they lasted momentarily.

I also thought the camera movements and animation were smooth and fluid too; it's a big improvement over the other seasons (not saying the animation in the previous series is bad), as art improves over time. I actually think it's some of the best animation I've ever seen in an anime series. There are some other anime with better looking animation like Gundam Wing, I'll admit, but I think the animation and art is high quality. It doesn't even look low budget to me, but if it is, it's probably some of the highest budgeted low budget animation I've seen in an anime (if that makes sense).

I don't recall hearing any Sailor Moon viewers trying to fast-forwarding the repeated sequences at all. Then again, I actually like them, I'm a sucker for stock footage. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Sadly, the animation and art in a Sailor Moon series that is definitely low quality would be in Sailor Moon Crystal; that is jerky, choppy, I will even say sketchy at times too; it's like Toei is not even trying at all with that series.

Third, I did watch that scene with the inconsistency in the Japanese script, and I didn't notice any. spoiler[ Tiger's Eye didn't mention anything about not knowing Japanese, he just spoke in English and Japanese, asked the character Saori what time it was, and just said he was supposed to meet with his tour guide at 5:00. I'm guessing he was supposed to be a guy who knew English and Japanese...]

I've never heard any people complain about the music either most of the time.

I'd say a casual fan of anime should start watching the first series of Sailor Moon before watching this. SuperS IMO isn't the best, but I agree, it is really repetitive.

Not trying to complain, I just disagree with this review.

[EDIT 2: I'm gonna' make this the official discussion thread for the series and will add it to the Discussion Index. -TK]

Last edited by Sailor Sedna on Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: This post is a reply to Volume 2's review from '02.-TK]

I agree; the backgrounds here, and in all of Sailor Moon, are very beautiful. And I'm not too keen with having the Japanese names on the cover being in parentheses.

I really have to disagree with the characterization though. The characters aren't really that single-minded; and their traits are not grating at all; I found them easy to like; Usagi is a clumsy, funny crybaby who is kind and caring and can be mature when the time calls for it; but yeah, she is jealous at times. Ami is a kind, intelligent person who grows more confident as the series grows on. Rei is hot-tempered, but she does really like Usagi though the two fight a lot. Makoto is a tough and sweet character who does grow more stronger as the series goes on, and learns what love is like. Minako is klutzy and funny like Usagi too, but she does grow both with her friendship and learns what love and being an idol is like. Chibi-Usa also grows in maturity too, and what's wrong with wanting to be friends with everyone? I pretty much know what happens in every season of Sailor Moon, and I still feel like I know the characters as friends you could actually meet, hang out and have fun with.
I don't think the characters are annoying to the point where only rabid fans can enjoy them; I think fans who are new to them can also enjoy the characters. And I did think Makoto/Jupiter, Rei/Mars, and Ami/Mercury got used well here.

I think I know why you might have thought that way though; Chibi-Usa got most of the character development and focus in this series, and the other characters, most likely the Inners, were pushed to the sidelines, thought they still did have development too. SuperS is really not the best way to represent the Sailor Moon series and its characters as a whole though.

SuperS is repetitive, but all of the episodes have different conflicts and resolutions; they're not all exactly the same. Also, while Sailor Moon's attack is used again and again, not all of the Sailors attack every time, sometimes there are different ones per episode.

I've already explained my opinion about the art and animation on my reply to the other review. Crystal's animation is worse and unfortunately meets the description in this review, except the backgrounds there IMO are monochrome and bland, unlike the original, which had bright beautiful colors.

While I do disagree, I'm just expressing my thoughts.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: This post is a reply to Volume 4's review from back in '03. -TK]

I do agree, the animation is very good, Chibi-Usa isn't as annoying as people say she is and the dub is really bad (and yeah, dunno why they included it on there, maybe for people who loved the dub on TV).

But I really disagree with the characterization; the characterization some of the best I've ever seen in an anime. In the episode about Rei, Rei isn't just aggressive in that one, she actually helps a little girl realize girls have their own power to help their dreams come true, plus she is nicer to Usagi as the series goes on. Makoto and Minako also had a good episode on this DVD where they did fight but eventually make up their friendship. Usagi isn't just clumsy also, she is kind and caring and can be mature when the time calls for it. Tuxedo Mask did develop in the first 2 seasons too. I think the characters are more than just archetypes; they are pretty unique characters when watched from the start to the end. Plus the villains in SuperS are some of my favorite too; they are funny and I think their designs are good (believe it or not, the Amazoness Quartet later became Sailors in the manga).

One thing I find kinda confusing though; if you don't think Sailor Moon has had excellent characterization, why did you say the first two seasons had charm (I thought the third one had the same charm too)? But I might suggest, maybe this perhaps is not the best Sailor Moon series to start off on.

While Sailor Moon is, yes, repetitive, I will say, not all of the storylines (except maybe this one) are recycled or exactly the same. I also don't think it's cliched, boring, and outdated.

One other problem with SuperS I will also say is that it does focus a bit too much on Chibi-Usa, but she isn't underdeveloped at all; this series contained a good amount of development for her.

I'm a die-hard Sailor Moon fan, but believe it or not, I don't think SuperS is that terrible. It does have some rare duds for Sailor Moon (the dentist episode comes to mind) but it's aged really well compared to the modern Sailor Moon Crystal series.

Just my thoughts I wanted to post. But to each his/her own. Not everything will appeal to everyone.

Last edited by Sailor Sedna on Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, those reviews were published way back when the site just started, so I guess they didn't encode them with links to Talkback. I took the liberty of merging all your reviews into one thread, though.

Not sure how keen anybody would be to talk about a 12-13 year-old review, but at least you got your opinions out there, and if anybody else is interested, I guess we've got a thread about the show and its English releases.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Dude, I hate Chibi-Usa more than any anime kid ever and I loved watching SuperS.

The dub was indeed crap....but let's not go there. We're getting a new dub from Viz anyway.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I have never understood the hatred for Sailor Moon SuperS. I didn’t have a problem with this series and I liked how the interaction between Chibiusa and Pegasus were done. It is one of the best done romances I have seen. One can see their attachment in their actions, gestures, looks, etc. and showing it is something that many romances fail at, as many of them just use big moments, for example, when character kiss each other or have sex to convince viewers that these characters are big lovers, never mind that, for example, the guy generally behaves like a jerk. It makes me doubt whether some authors can distinguish between love and sexual attraction.

Chibiusa and Pegasus’s relationship was actually pretty mature, if you think about it. I don’t mean that they had sex, but that it was healthy and their behaviour didn’t make me want to punch one/both of them in the face in hope that some sense can be put into their heads this way.

I also agree that characterization was not that bad. Sure, the characters are not very complex, but the series was targeted towards children, so it is excusable. Secondly, I don’t think Ikuhara had a free hand. I suppose there must be a reason why he left to make Utena.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
@Tony K.

Thanks for merging them into one thread. I just wanted to state what I thought.

@Aylinn

Ikuhara left SuperS due to lack of creative control. I do agree, yeah, Chibi-Usa and Helios' romance looking back on it was well done.

I dunno what Sailor Moon really was targeted to though...I heard it was targeted for 8-16 year olds in Japan, but for teens here, then again teens technically are kids...oh well. It's still fun to watch though.

@Chiibi

Who do you think might be cast as Helios for the new dub for SuperS? I'm just wondering...
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
@Chiibi

Who do you think might be cast as Helios for the new dub for SuperS? I'm just wondering...

Your guess is as good as mine, really. Anime hyper I haven't even gotten to check out the dub of the FIRST season yet. I was going to buy the Blu-ray at the spring anime con in my hometown but I completely forgot. D: (Because I have so many shows to catch up on as it is)
SaiyanYasha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
Even though the first 3 seasons of Sailor moon usually focus on just the girls against one evil organization happening and nobody else getting into trouble, this season is the opposite. for example there's scene's of people having their dreams getting stolen just like in Sailor Moon S and acts pretty much the same but in a different style. instead of the monster sucking the heart out of the character as well as the girls themselves, they look inside a mirror to search for Pegasus. Confused that is Unreasonable and Embarrassing. for starters the amazon trio whether it be tiger's eye hawk's eye or fish's eye, Looking for Pegasus is so difficult during a majority of the season. I'm not saying this is a bad storyline, I just think this season doesn't hold up to the last 3 of the series.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
True, it doesn't hold a candle to the other 3, but I still think it's pretty OK looking back on it.

Stars did a similar thing also with the Star Seeds (though it had the victim turn into the MOTD like in season 1's Rainbow Crystal arc) but it was better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1