• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: British Rapper Jme Will Trade His Album for Holographic Charizard Cards

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
lol I wouldn't do that. Pokemon FOREVER. "musicians" are just trends these days
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
LOL did someone actually try to persuade him with an Empoleon Lv. X promo? Smh
Shirohae

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Pfft. Pokemon > His album Laughing Cool
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
That Charizard card must have been pretty rare or something.
shadowxx91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Base 1 holo first edition charizard for a VINYL HELL NO! that cards worth at least mid to upper 4 figures at least
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Okay, that's really cute.

I hope he also signed the album or something for the people that made the trade.
myskaros

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
shadowxx91 wrote:
Base 1 holo first edition charizard for a VINYL HELL NO! that cards worth at least mid to upper 4 figures at least

Hard to see in the swap pictures, but since one person offered a beat-up vanilla Charizard, I assume he wasn't specifically asking for 1st Editions.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote
Like A Boss!
Torsley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
hmm I throw away all my pokemon cards. including a german holo charizard first edition card. =D
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:12 am Reply with quote
I hope he gave his traders his autograph in exchange for the rare Charizard cards.
shadowxx91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
[/quote]
Hard to see in the swap pictures, but since one person offered a beat-up vanilla Charizard, I assume he wasn't specifically asking for 1st Editions.[/quote]

that may be but it's still worth more than that vinyl
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:36 am Reply with quote
Honestly I would not have traded for a vinyl. Not unless I had at least three of the same card. I still have my pokemon cards but would love to try and expand the collection more. Old school pokemon all the way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:33 am Reply with quote
Question here: Will he take Base Set 2 Holo-Foil Charizard? I have like three of those, all of them in mint condition. I hoarded them back in the day because they could be traded for literally any other card.

I traded such that I was able to get my hands on Base Set Alakazam and Jungle Mr. Mime, who, along with Fossil Tentacool, made for a near-unbeatable combo. But interest faded by the time Base Set 2 came out, and I was stuck with a few Base Set 2 Charizards no one wanted anymore.

(I'm guessing he won't take the re-release from Stormfront, though I have one of those too.)

Lostlorn Forest wrote:

To be fair, back when that card was new, it formed a devastating combo with an Omastar released around that time. When Omanyte evolved into Omastar, you could then pick an opponent's Pokémon to devolve. That Empoleon could then inflict 80 damage to a benched Pokémon (in other words, the devolved Pokémon). As Pokémon that can still evolve rarely had more than 80 HP, evolving Omanyte with a fully-energized Empoleon was pretty much a one-hit KO.

Not to mention that Super Devolution Spray was also around during that time, so you could use it to devolve Omanyte and put Omastar back into your hand, ready to use again.

The Empoleon-Omastar combo still holds weight today in Unlimited play, so it still has some value attached to it.

XerneasYveltal wrote:
That Charizard card must have been pretty rare or something.

They're not. They were just crazy popular because it had 120 HP and a 100-damage attack. (It was never that useful in practice. People just were into collecting Pokémon cards, rarely playing, and liked the big numbers printed on it.) They were exactly as rare as Base Set Magneton, Base Set Hitmonchan, and Base Set Poliwrath, but those cards didn't have Charizard's big numbers so they were worth less despite being much more useful when played.

If you ever look at Pokémon card price guides, notice that any cards named "Wailord" are worth more than most other cards in that set, and that's due to Wailord's abundant HP (which reaches upwards of 200).

shadowxx91 wrote:

Professor-Oak.com has one non-1st-edition available for US$63.42.

Depending on the condition, a 1st edition Base Set Charizard varies a lot in price. It maxes out at roughly US$2,000 if it's appraised and proven to be in perfect condition, though even the slightest hint of wear will bring it down to about US$700.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:52 am Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:

LOL
PetitePuff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
i don't know who this guy is, but he sure as hell ain't gettin' none of my Pokemon cards! Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2