• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Set List - Top 10 Final Fantasy VII Themes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random 21

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
Another great video. Not as familiar with FF, so I can't really get involved in this one. Although, just wanting to note that the full Blood Blockade Battlefront OST is out now soooooooooooo Very Happy
NeoPhoenixTE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:26 am Reply with quote
Needs less flash. Chrome and mobile kinda get hosed here. Sad
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
FF7 was sort of like my third game in my life, like 8 years old, so the music clearly has a lot of nostalgia into me. Even though I don't consider it that... great? Anime hyper It's good and my nostalgia amplifies it, and it definitely has more nuancity in their themes than previous FFs (excluding FF6 which is also great), but I think it's a little limited in terms of scenarios, and this was still in the early days of PS1 and the sound quality wasn't... very great, maybe because FF8 and FF9 had better understanding of compressing music into a disk but FF7 feels very... SNES quality, not quite at that point but constrained in terms of instruments and when notes are fading away. It's hard to say, but it's in a weird uncanny valley of quality between SNES and PS1 that is weird to listen to, like most of early PS1 games. But it's still very enjoyable. In terms of favorite OST from the saga mine is FF9.

My picks would have been the Main Theme (I personally felt chills the first time you listen to and it starts with a beginning that will never appear in the next repetitions; the first version you chose though is also great), Electric de Chocobo (yupi!), Arma attacking (the most epic and dangerous hurry theme), the Opening theme + mission, Jenova's theme (not the battle one, the mindfuck one), Judgment Day and Birth of a God (yes, I prefer this theme over One Winged Angel :p ).

Sefirot's theme is frightening, but the loop has always being weird for me, the song doesn't quite smooths well from the big peak at the end to the beginning and whenever an important scene didn't match the peak it felt always weird to me.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
FFVII definitely had a soundtrack more memorable than most, and I don't think there's a JRPGer alive who could ever forget One-Winged Angel considering it's been in Kingdom Hearts and chosen as music for concerts and arranges/remixes. Cosmo Canyon and You Can Hear the Cry of the Planet are also incredibly well done, ambient tracks. :D
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
No Gold Saucer? I call foul.

(I used to put the Saucer theme on my iPod when I would go on Disney Parks trips, for that feeling of "What am I going to do next?...I'm going to Gold Saucer! Very Happy ")
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I almost feel bad for Birth of a God because it's really good as well, but gets kind of crushed by the immediate following of One-Winged Angel.
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much not a bad song in the entire album, if anyone wants to hear some covers me and a few friends did a cover album for FF7 and have added a few new ones in wake of the Remake announcement.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gametabs/236081166587217?fref=ts
ryboom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Chapman's really smart and comes up with terrific reasons for all her picks, but man, this list has a ton of bland crap. She may have over-thought this here.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
NeoPhoenixTE wrote:
Needs less flash. Chrome and mobile kinda get hosed here. Sad

Sorry about that! The player has now been replaced with an HTML5 version, so you shouldn't have to worry about the Flash problem any more. Smile Future videos will also be in HTML5, and past videos will be retroactively un-Flashed today. Just took us a while to get that fixed for y'all.

ryboom wrote:
Chapman's really smart and comes up with terrific reasons for all her picks, but man, this list has a ton of bland crap. She may have over-thought this here.

It doesn't have a lot of big loud standalone pieces on it, but I wanted the list to have variety, so I didn't want to fill it up purely with those kinds of pieces, or any one kind of piece. For this list, I literally went back to the game from start to finish and took notes about all the music I heard and when, and how impactful it was, so I don't think I could have been more thorough with picking things I thought had the most memorable impact. ^^; Sorry if a lot of it sounds boring standalone. It's a game soundtrack, so...it's sort of meant to support rather than take over your attention in most cases.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Fanfare should've been the bumper music Laughing
I actually prefer Tifa's theme to Aerith's... but that's probably because I like Tifa more. Sorry, Aerith Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Great list, Hope! Smile
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else unable to view the html5 video in Firefox 39? It says "No video with supported format and MIME type found" for me. (Note, my operating system is Windows XP Service Pack 3, which I now suspect may be related to this. Sigh.)

EDIT: further research reveals that indeed, Windows Xp does not have support for the H 264 codec, and I'm guessing that this video uses the H 264 codec.

I know Windows XP users are probably a tiny fraction of your readership at this stage, but if you could make it so that it would fallback to Flash for people who can't view the html5 video, I at least would definitely appreciate it.

If not, well at least I have my phone, which should hopefully work.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
When I saw the headline on my phone I just saw FF and not FF VII and thought to myself, "Wow, how is Hope going to narrow that down?" lol.
Not very surprising to see the set list just be one game, or that VII was the first FF game chosen.
Overall, great selection this week.
The player worked without any issues this week (Chrome) which I was happy to see. The ad didn't play during the point there should have been a break, though that's probably why there weren't any issues...
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Man it's been a while since I've looked at anything FF related.

Personally my favorite theme in FFVII will always be the Turk's theme. I'm a sucker for evil spec. ops guys with a snazzy theme. Good list though I would probably have replaced the battle theme with something else, like Jenova's battle theme it just has more of a chilling tone to it over the normal battle theme although I do Hope's reasoning for choosing it.
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Aw, no "You Can Hear the Cry of the Planet"? I guess it's a bit of a tough pick to narrow down.
kazume

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
"Cant come fast enough"

It's SE's final trump card that they finally said they'd never play, getting played.

Ho hum, tomorrow is another day... "Day " purchase that is

*munch munch* Pass me another hunk of co-pilot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2