• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
OVA 1&2

As soon as this OVA series started I was basically just waiting for the moment Levi's friends were going to get killed. It's that kind of show
folks. Still I quite enjoyed this though there were a few strings left untied in my opinion like if Levi still helps out those people underground that he cared for so much.

More than anything this OVA seems to make a direct parallel to the episode where the female titan kills Levi's squad. Eren trusted in them instead of his own strength which was the cause of their deaths. Levi did the same and experienced a similar result. You even even see the vast difference in Levi's reaction. He understandably freaks out in a fit of rage over seeing his dead friends but later when it happens again he remains nearly unaffected (though you can clearly tell he was still under distress). However by keeping himself under control he was able to bring down the female titan and is the main reason Mika didn't end up getting killed. I've always kind of liked stories that tie things together like that in a believable fashion.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Took me a rewatch (still at episode 1) to notice that this anime is basically about giant zombies and that's most likely why it's popular despite the poor imagination involved in it (although bonus popularity to a couple of female characters). I enjoy it but it's essentially weak in all criteria much like every zombie show.

I see they made OVAs. Need to watch.
ayanami000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm planning to watch Attack on Titan movie but after I saw all reviews from different people, I'm not so sure right now if I still want to watch the movie. They rated it only 5/10 in some reviews. I know anime are always better than the movie but I really love to see this one. But maybe it will just disappoint me. Sigh
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:17 am Reply with quote
^ If you expect it to be anything like the series, you'll be disappointed. If you just watch it as its own story, it's pretty good.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
It excels among zombie shows so why not give it a try if you like zombie stuff. Like the person above said, if you haven't seen the anime you should enjoy it. Not that I've seen the movie, so I'm speaking from experience.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, Zombies: for me Attack on Titan is kinda like Japanese equivalent to the The Walking Dead, also pretty bland and extremely popular.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
The appeal of the show to me is just 'finding out what's going to happen next'. The manga (and anime) are written from a point of view where you feel like you're in the characters shows; you have really no clue what's going on behind the scenes or how the world got the way it is. And it feels like pretty much any character could be killed at some point (with a few exceptions).

That said it has really little rewatch value. I'm sure many people who watched the anime just have read ahead in the manga at this point, so I wonder just how exciting a second season will feel. Then again, the plot is a lot more comprehensible in the anime; the manga is pretty jumbled at times what with the bad art and all. I think people have just clung to it because it's one of the few more violent action shows to come out since FMA Brotherhood or Death Note.
MrSharingan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Such a shame the movie was so crap compare to the anime...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:20 am Reply with quote
Idk about the manga, but the anime is way too dragged out. I still want to know what's in the basement.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Thought that I would link a recent video released by MatPat of the Film Theorists where he looked at if logicially the characters in the show needed to leave the walls.
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_VfizNaJQ]
Thought that it might be interesting to look at for who are interested in the Attack on Titan anime.[/url]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

That was great. It begins right off from where the first season left of and we got to see the new OP song too.

We got some nice action on the outdoors too against the Titans from this episode already.
Music remains top notch as expected and it was exciting to see Mike in this. Most of the main characters returns and we got see some of Mike's skills.

I think the most noticeable part from the episode is seeing the Beast Titan near the end.
What an intelligent monster!

Pretty satisfied with season 2's start so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
So happy to see this show back! It does a great job of ramping up the mysteries and it is genuinely tense and unsettling. JUST LIKE ME!!! Wink
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
The new season airs today.

Apparently, it will only be 12 episodes (1 cour)

This makes sense, if it was paced to be a 2 cour season it would easily be running into potentially "alternate anime ending" territory, considering the promo material I have a strong hunch where they play to end this with one cour worth of adapted material.

As for the first episode, it is well crafted in "catching up an audience" that hasn't rewatched the material since the first airing or potential newcomers to the series, it hits the key notes without feeling like droning exposition and punctuates characters that will take principal roles in the material as the main Shinganshina Trio will initially be late to the party as they had still been recuperating from the end of season 1 events.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:31 am Reply with quote
Great episode for the return of AOT. Can't wait to see what happens next.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:56 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

Yeah, that Beast Titan was shown in the new OP, but everything about it really shocked me. I oddly think that I recall that one of the OVA featured a strange recount of a talking Titan, that the mystery widens. I thought Hanji in the episode was awesome.

On a note since the first season, I watched the Junior High spinoff and I do feel spoiled on a couple things, which is the spoiler[identity of two titans], which I am pissed about, but I did kind of notice something in the episode which I feel is pointing towards something.

Everything looks good, it is great to be back with this show. Got so used to the weirdness of previous Titans, that seeing some new ones returned the surprise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 88 of 107