• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Comments on English Subtitle Issues for Attack on Titan Live-Action Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
So it turns out that FUNimation caught the error in time, but not all of the individual theaters implemented their fix like they should have. Confused

Now just watch as people start complaining about them hard-subbing the second movie, even though that's *exactly* what they should've done for the first one.

Because anime fans. Rolling Eyes
bs3311

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Good, still hilarious they're gonna make changes for something people assume is not their fault Laughing
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
That clears it up. Being that most of these are independent theaters, it makes sense that some wouldn't implement the fix.
DOMEENAYTION

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why, I'm guessing this subtitle thing is the reason, but the theaters near me that were supposed to show it all four days decided to drop it after the first day.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote
DOMEENAYTION wrote:
I don't know why, I'm guessing this subtitle thing is the reason, but the theaters near me that were supposed to show it all four days decided to drop it after the first day.

Probably didn't pay attention to the notices, and didn't want to lose money to refund demands.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Now just watch as people start complaining about them hard-subbing the second movie, even though that's *exactly* what they should've done for the first one.

I'm actually wondering what, if any, advantages there are for soft subbing theater releases. Or was it just because they didn't wanna bother or didn't have the time to hardsub it the first time?
bs3311

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

I'm actually wondering what, if any, advantages there are for soft subbing theater releases. Or was it just because they didn't wanna bother or didn't have the time to hardsub it the first time?

I assume its because hardcore sub editors/translators really prefer hardsubbing because you can do alot more effects and font styles since the subtitle text would be burned into the video. But at the cost of turning them on or off. And they would have to make room for a non hardsub version of the content if they wanted to physically release it. So they would be better quality, at the cost of it not being raw and being very big on disc space. It's a double edge sword, just like with softsubbing.
Aster Selene

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

I asked a friend about it and he says it has to do with upscaling; you'd have to ship out a giant file to every theater with different screen sizes else the subtitle upscaling gets too apparent.
PackMontoya

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Both FUNimation and fans of Attack on Titan have been waiting for the day...

Bravo FUNi. Bravo.

That said, I don't know why they didn't hardcode the subtitles in the first place. The only reason I might think of having the subs and the film itself separate is if a cinema has subs in multiple languages like English and Spanish.
RANGIT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

While I can't speak for their decision on keeping it soft-subbed, I think one advantage of soft-subbing is keeping the video quality as is (provided their giving out masters to the theaters.) Doing a hard-subbed release means having to re-encode the video, which would lower the quality a bit (or a lot), depending on how it's done (of course, it's done all the time - Blu-rays are after all re-encoded from masters).
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I give whichever intern who wrote that response a lot of credit, they used "waiting for this day".

I remember a certain Tales from the Industry column about an awful projectionist so I'll cut Funi some slack on the theaters not being able to properly use soft subs.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:10 pm Reply with quote
PackMontoya wrote:
Quote:
Both FUNimation and fans of Attack on Titan have been waiting for the day...

Bravo FUNi. Bravo.

lol You beat me to it.

Now that its been addressed, Part 2 will obviously have no problems.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Aster Selene wrote:
I asked a friend about it and he says it has to do with upscaling; you'd have to ship out a giant file to every theater with different screen sizes else the subtitle upscaling gets too apparent.

Yeah, upscaling is definitely the issue with hardsubbing. I thought theater sizes and resolutions were all standard enough that just one release would be good enough, but if not then that's certainly good reason to softsub.

Last edited by killjoy_the on Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
A software bug... Still beats the old-fashioned "the reel just ripped" problem.
wohdin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:

I assume its because hardcore sub editors/translators really prefer hardsubbing because you can do alot more effects and font styles since the subtitle text would be burned into the video. But at the cost of turning them on or off. And they would have to make room for a non hardsub version of the content if they wanted to physically release it. So they would be better quality, at the cost of it not being raw and being very big on disc space. It's a double edge sword, just like with softsubbing.

lmao what?

there are no effects that you can't do in softsubs with .ass that wouldn't be totally superfluous, and hardsubs create encoding nightmares that would likely just piss off filmgoers even more

also you can't really do things like subtitle goggles with hardsubs
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2