• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ajin (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote

Ajin (TV)

Genres: Action, Mystery, Horror
Themes:: Monster, Hunting, Experimentation

Plot Summary: Ajin are humans that cannot die. Seventeen years ago, they first appeared on a battlefield in Africa. From then on, more of their kind are discovered within the human society. Their rarity in appearance means that, for experimental purposes, the government will generously reward anyone who captures one. In the present day, for what a certain high school student expects to be a typical summer holiday, his life is about to turn unexpected...
----------------------------------

Despite the advertising of the CGI elements shown in the preview, I think the show could have a lot of potential. It’s going to be 13 episodes and also has a trilogy of movies that will be based on this TV anime adaptation. From what I understand, it will go into deeper roots with its storytelling for the TV series. The manga itself is pretty good in terms of portraying horror themes so I think this might be dark horse for 2016. Looking forward to it! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
I think the movie and series will cover pretty much the same thing but the TV show will go deeper with the context of the story. Anyways, thoughts so far:

Well that was quite something.

It started off with some action and Kei soon his normal life turned upside down. The music they used for the transformation scenes was pretty thrilling especially when one of them interrupts the fight. There was minimal to no censorship so glad to see that. I got used to the CGI animation as well. It's not even that bad at all.

The Ajin fight at the end was kinda fun to watch as well.
This met my expectations. Sadly, it's not enough for 2 cour with the amount of content but still glad to see this getting an adaptation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
A studious youth gets involved in a traffic accident. Instead of dying, he's now the country's most wanted person as the eponymous "Ajin" so in effect he's as good as dead on a societal level.

One of the manga series that the librarians and Japan were clamouring for an animated adaptation a few years ago. Having watched the episode, I can see why there's such a hook. After all, who doesn't want to live forever?

Interesting choice of CGI animation for this adaptation. It takes a bit of getting used to but it's not going to be decisive for enticing or repelling audiences.

There's a lot of gaps that need filling over the three months since audiences only get a glimpse of how Kei ended up the way he is (there's a strong hint that Ajin aren't born but created while his rediscovered friend Kai is likely an Ajin as well).

Interesting ED animation too.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
The CGI here makes BBK/BRNK look good *facepalm*
I honestly wasn't very attracted to this, but that may be related to the overal dark tones and wonky animation. The last few minutes, after Kai heard about what happened (although that scene where the policeman just happens to ask him if he knows Kei and he just happens to overhear some ladies saying he was an Ajin was awfully forced). I'll give it a couple more episodes, it wasn't that exciting as a premiere episode, I felt like it didn't give me much in terms of where it's going.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I am actually quite interested in this, so will try to catch up with it this week.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote

This is one series where "slow pacing" certainly isn't going to be a criticism being levelled. With that huge bounty on his head and the authorities after him as a newly discovered guinea pig, Kei needs every advantage he can get to stay free. Kai being the good friend he is will likely stay with Kei thick and thin, although it's likely he's just a regular human sticking his neck out.

The paralysing scream the Ajin have is an interesting ability, but since so little is known about the species it might not just be used as a restraining mechanism. The most interesting thing about this episode is Kei's Ajin being externally grafted onto him in some way and capable of independent action when the need arises.

Oddly enough Kei's Ajin seems to inherit his thought processes and emotions. I wonder if the other Ajin in this series are the same or are of the inherent kind (the old man and the middle-aged one from the first episode are almost certainly Ajin).

Does the girl in this episode get more screen-time? Having escaped from her rapist kidnappers, she's now privy to a national-level secret.

The very well-endowed "secretary" to Taisou might well be a "leashed" Ajin working with the authorities in exchange for freedom, but it's idle speculation until more is revealed.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:25 am Reply with quote
This was so good I went ahead and watched the first movie (which probably covers the first 6 episodes). Some minor differences, but there are some really unexpected twists and turns down this road, despite some of those too-convenient coincidences that have been mentioned. Unless cgi just makes anything unwatchable for you, I'd say don't let that stop you. If you're too squeamish for Tokyo Ghoul though, probably skip this one too.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
This was so good I went ahead and watched the first movie (which probably covers the first 6 episodes).

Worth mentioning for those who care but don't read up on the staff details, but the movie and this adaptation are separate franchises headed by different directors. The source material is the same, but the interpretations should be different depending on the creative direction taken.

For what it's worth, I checked the first two chapters of the source to see what the TV adaptation did differently. spoiler[Since the source itself didn't really flesh out some details, the expansion of exposition in the TV series is a welcome improvement. ]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I dunno. I don't have the best eye for this, but most of the two episodes looked directly lifted from the movie, with only one significant difference (not necessarily significant to the story, though I don't know for sure) that I could spot. I'm sure there were other details, but it seems the series director isn't reinventing the wheel for the most part.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:52 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I dunno. I don't have the best eye for this, but most of the two episodes looked directly lifted from the movie, with only one significant difference (not necessarily significant to the story, though I don't know for sure) that I could spot. I'm sure there were other details, but it seems the series director isn't reinventing the wheel for the most part.

It looks the same probably because aside from two directors and different editors, the two projects share staff for virtually every other aspect.

Probably too early to judge, but if any differences are going to surface it will only be apparent a few weeks down the line.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote

When they report that Japan only has three Ajin officially, they're not telling the whole story. There's at least four of them once viewers finish watching the trailer.

We now know who the Ajin in bandages was, unsurprisingly he has it in for those who used to torture him in the name of "experimentation".

The Ajin in the hat obviously has it in for humans, but there's only so much one can do as an immortal and alone. That's probably why he's intent on showing fellow travellers the "path" (leading to an Ajin revolution by the looks of it)

Although he's self-centred and selfish, those traits might well keep Nagai Kei alive when the whole country intends to hunt him down. Since he's realised that killing himself helps restore his physical condition to normal, he'll use that and his paralysing scream as tools. Unfortunately he has no clue what to do about the Black Ajin form which seeps out of him from time to time.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
We got a special 1 hour this week btw.

A nice way to catch up to the movie and even after seeing it again, it still looks phenomenal from the Ajin duel to Satou wrecking havoc at the facility. Great usage of OST as well. The cruel experimentation also expresses well in terms of cruelty.

I honestly think the CGI in the fights are portrayed fairly well especially with the special effects.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
One day early and viewers get two episodes at once. Looks like next week they'll have a break before the series resumes two weeks from now.

Nakamura's quite the crafty one, but his attempt to convert Kei to the revolutionary cause doesn't seem to have worked. Kei has too much respect for his friend to completely abandon his humanity (even if he is a self-centred egoist).

Fear of being the subject of experimentation is probably the only reason why Shimomura took up the deal with the government; Tosaki isn't exactly the ideal boss to work under given he has some kind of career history with the Ajin.

Quite a few action scenes in the double-bill, but the humans in charge really should train their underlings better. Short of riddling the Ajin full of tranquilizers before their death reset kicks in there's no way humans can prevail in such an unequal fight.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:57 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Quite a few action scenes in the double-bill, but the humans in charge really should train their underlings better. Short of riddling the Ajin full of tranquilizers before their death reset kicks in there's no way humans can prevail in such an unequal fight.

That storming the complex sequence was pretty amazing though. I have to agree that they really need to train their people better. They seem to have almost no idea what they're fighting. Satou was quite vulnerable once he shot himself, if someone had been trained to notice when he got his arm back and hit him with another dart before he could bring his gun around. Not that I want him to get caught though. I don't care if he's good or evil, no sentient living thing should be in their sadistic hands, especially since they don't even seem to have the first clue about scientific method. They couldn't get usable data from a rock, let alone a biological entity.

I have this feeling that Satou is a whole lot older than he looks. He comfortably sits like a samurai, rather than someone who's just learned it for formal or business occasions. Or it could just be the way he's drawn. :)
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote

We learn a little more about the black shadows and how they function in this episode. Nagai's is extremely autonomous in its operation, but at least it came out when he needed it most. Even Satou was surprised at how huge the matter pouring from Nagai turned out to be. I suppose the most interesting part is how a clash of heads between the two shadows leads to an exchange of memories, one of which is curious for viewers who remembered the first episode.

For all his interactions and setbacks at the hands of the Ajin, did it not occur to Tosaki that the weather could have made the difference? Granted I wouldn't have made the connection either since it's quite a trivial difference. Regardless, his plea to activate the special black hat squad looks like it might be too late depending on how next week's episode goes.

Self-interest and self preservation might rule Nagai Kei from start to finish, but I still don't understand why he decided to "save" the surgeon who helped him out. The offer to escape via the surgeon's car was off as soon as he was shot, plus Nagai actually gave him up until he realised the gunshot wound wasn't fatal. Regardless, that surgeon if he survives is scarred for life since his spine and legs would have broken from the fall while the blood loss if left untreated will lead to his death.

Next week's trailer has some interesting scenes, I wonder how this series will turn now that Satou has made his move.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9