• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Sports Anime Spikes Back

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I've tried over the years to try and get int sports Anime and honestly it just hasn't "clicked" for me I mean I liked the first season of Baby steps (dropped the second season after four episodes).

I enjoyed the first four volumes of Prince of Tennis that I read. Even enjoyed Yowamushi Pedal before the first big competition arc in the first season.

Yet this is a genre where honestly I'm probly the most stereotypical nerd/Otaku I never played sports or enjoyed it so the idea of watching a series about something I have no interest in.

Other than maybe some vague historical interest like something like Tomorrow's Joe or to be part of "the conversation" is something I just finally have to opt out of. But I digress
Random 21

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
It's weird, I love sports anime, Kuroko and especially Baby Steps (That show is waaaay too underappreciated) are among some of my favorite anime, but Haikyuu just never clicked with me, for some reason. I watched half of season 1 before putting it on hold, but I tried picking it up again recently and just couldn't. I want to say that it's because I found it too boring, but then I remember I'm a huge fan of Baby Steps and have to take it back. I dunno, it's a shame, because I really want to like it, but I just can't
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
seeding it with beloved archetypes (the handsome ace! the arrogant newcomer! the gallant captain!)

I assume the arrogant newcomer is Kageyama, but I have no idea of who the "handsome ace" archetype is nor "gallant captain" are, because Daichi and Asahi don't seem to be playing to those archetypes at all

Quote:
A middle blocker named Tanaka is a great guy with a mean face

Tanaka is a wing spiker.

Interesting write up, I wasn't aware that Volleyball was a popular sport in Japan and it definitely never occurred to me that Hinata's admiration for the mysterious Small Giant was mirroring Furudate's passion for volleyball back in the 60's. It's particularly interesting since the Prototype Haikyuu one-shot had Kageyama as the main character and Hinata had never played volleyball before entering high school
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Quote:
A middle blocker named Tanaka is a great guy with a mean face

Tanaka is a wing spiker.

He does, however, look like a rejected Hajime no Ippo character. Laughing

I also prefer Attacker You! over Attack No. 1 only because the former not only had a modern reboot but, also I prefer sports anime with lots of humor opposed to drama. Sort of why some old school shoujo are hit or miss for me based on the level of melodrama. Also, I think Hinata looks like a gender bend version of You.

Typically, when I think of sports anime, its mostly the over saturation of the "popular" ones (baseball, football/soccer, American football, and tennis) so any sports anime that has the obscure ones (volleyball, boxing, gymnastics, ...card games, etc.) I'm more prone to enjoy.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Typically, when I think of sports anime, its mostly the over saturation of the "popular" ones (baseball, football/soccer, American football, and tennis) so any sports anime that has the obscure ones (volleyball, boxing, gymnastics, ...card games, etc.) I'm more prone to enjoy.

So you enjoy it when it's an obscure sport to you or for the US? There's quite a lot more volleyball and even more boxing (thanks partially to Adachi, who likes boxing second to baseball) manga and anime out there than American football.
futuresoon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Quote:
seeding it with beloved archetypes (the handsome ace! the arrogant newcomer! the gallant captain!)

I assume the arrogant newcomer is Kageyama, but I have no idea of who the "handsome ace" archetype is nor "gallant captain" are, because Daichi and Asahi don't seem to be playing to those archetypes at all

Daichi could arguably by a "gallant captain", but "handsome ace" is probably referring to Oikawa from Aoba Johsai, who very much fits the bill.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I can get into sports anime when they're unconventional but obviously still structured like any advancing competition, like Girls und Panzer or Yakitate Japan, or even Taisho Yakyuu Musume. When it's just straight baseball or whatever in the modern era, I tend to not even give them a shot.
Quote:
But the tide, it seems, has gradually turned, buoyed on by basketball, cycling, swimming, and of all sports, volleyball.

But isn't that only due to the zero money commitment of streaming anime?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
But Oikawa isn't Seijo's ace, Iwaizumi is. I just don't really see Daichi as a gallant captain, he's more like the "reliable but scary authority figure"
Panoptican

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I've only tried watching a few sports anime (including Haikyuu), but the only one to really hook me has been Baby Steps. There's just something about the progression of the main character in that show that is just amazing to watch. I guess I also prefer a more realistic approach. If you like sports anime I definitely recommend it. And if you're not as into sports anime (like me) I still recommend it!
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
we got more sports anime has nothing to do with US viewers want more of those anime. Sports anime is always very popular in Japan and Asia counties.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Quote:

I think the key is in the part of the sentence you omitted: seeding it with beloved archetypes () before mixing those archetypes up. That's why they don't seem to be playing to them. He goes on to talk about how Asahi and Kageyama veer off from their tropes, so that just leaves the captain, and your subsequent post describes his alternate path. And he's only scary when he needs to be. Usually he's remarkably mellow.

This was a great article, and a delight to read. Oofuri is finally getting its second season brought over next year by Rightstuf/Nozomi (sans dub, alas), and apparently Haikyuu!! did well enough for Sentai that they've already licensed this season, so things are looking up!

Btw, someone mentioned American football - are there any other anime about this besides Eyeshield 21 (which is about it in name only, given the insane bending and outright discarding of the rules that goes on)?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
It's not anime, just manga. [Though it could be made into anime.] But if you're interested in these series, you might wanna check out Viz's Crimson Hero, and tell your friends so maybe they can finish it one day.
sweaf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Hikyuu is the best sport anime out there at the moment. Really it is that good.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I think the key is in the part of the sentence you omitted: seeding it with beloved archetypes () before mixing those archetypes up. That's why they don't seem to be playing to them. He goes on to talk about how Asahi and Kageyama veer off from their tropes, so that just leaves the captain, and your subsequent post describes his alternate path. And he's only scary when he needs to be. Usually he's remarkably mellow.

My point is that I don't think those characters (Daichi and Asahi) were ever played to be the archetypes Mike mentions, and have in fact not displayed any characteristic of said archetypes. In no moment was Asahi ever portrayed or framed as "handsome", you don't see anyone commenting on him being attractive, quite the contrary, everyone thinks he's a drug dealer/delinquent because of his unkempt looks. The only character that gets the "handsome" treatment is Oikawa. Meanwhile, Daichi has never seemed particularly "gallant" to me. Maybe Suga would fall into the gallant category, but Daichi's more into the "strict captain" vibe (in some ways, he reminds me of Hyuuga from KnB)
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I've actually been thinking about trying Yowamushi Pedal and Haikyuu!. I'm not a sports fan, but I really enjoyed Eyeshield 21 to the point where I have all the manga volumes sitting on my shelf.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3