• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi Game Showcased with Interactive 3D Web Haruhi

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CommunistHamster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
That's a pretty accurate 3d replica of Haruhi. Something about the eyes doesn't seem quite right though. Maybe it's just because I'm not used to anime characters moving their heads so much.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
...Whoah.

That's kinda creepy, imo.
weirdofu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Can you imagine if they could build procedural lip-syncing and full body animation onto this, then it could mean a whole new way of producing anime. No more issues with character models changing slightly through out production because you'll be using 1 model through out. It could mean real-time interactive shows with anime characters (something cartoon network tried for a while).
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:05 pm Reply with quote
The technological advancement that Haruhi demonstrated is amazing; and this is the perfect tilte to give it the test run.
eazydoseit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:06 pm Reply with quote
omg that was amazing!!! this is a revolutionary art style!!!! i think some people are already beginning to create series where all you need is one model now.....no more drawing the same character over and over....its all programs now......man technology is crazy......
merr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it doesn't have that weird cel-shaded look or anything. Pretty cool
Leofish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote
very awesome...
I wanna put it on my desktop :X
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
It's definitely cool, but something's not right. It scares me a little (like it's a little creepy). I think it has to do with the fact that anime characters never move so realistically. Usually, they're just standing perfectly still, or at least close to it, when they're not really moving. Because this Haruhi model is moving much more like a real human, it looks a little "off" or creepy because anime characters do not look like real humans.

That's my explanation, anyway.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Uncanny valley is what some call that experience. As I can't see this at work (ugh) I'll have to wait and see if I agree. I've never really believed the uncanny valley principle was something that affected me, but it's a common and well known principle.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I can't get the web toy to work. Crying or Very sad Is anyone else having trouble
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote
That's has got to be the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. I've seen a lot of those head/eyes that move with the mouse but I've never seen one that moves so realistically (or close to it).
galenow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow- Can you imagine where this technology will be in 3 years.... Shocked
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote
This is really something! weirdofu, I hope there are some real time interactive shows/games like that in the future. I'm already excited. Smile
AnimEdge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I would have to see the model rotated before i believe that is full 3d, it looks like some one really knows there way around layers and AS3, the way her head slides and does not turn when you move the mouse side to side, the way her neck stretches during this, maybe its all the pre done shaders but it just looks flat to me, riding on the fact that the eye may perceive it as 3d just like many other good flash artists are capable of doing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
la_contessa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I can't get the web toy to work. Crying or Very sad Is anyone else having trouble

I'm having trouble too. I've tried it on two computers, and reinstalled Flash on each one, to no avail. I can't figure out why it won't load Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3