• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Bros., Weinstein to Release AstroBoy, Gatchaman

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote
Tbey should make a film of Pluto instead of Tetsuwan Atom. *ISSHOT AND SEVERELY MANGLED*

Lookiing forward to them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:24 am Reply with quote
I think it should be changed to "screwing and burying Princess Mononoke, because it fulfilled Harvey's quota against all things Asian". Anyway, unlike the new TMNT, Astroboy bombed here, so I really don't see the point in a full-length feature. Gatchaman might have a chance, but it's more of a cult show than Speed Racer.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I think it should be changed to "screwing and burying Princess Mononoke, because it fulfilled Harvey's quota against all things Asian". Anyway, unlike the new TMNT, Astroboy bombed here, so I really don't see the point in a full-length feature.

Uh, because there is a bigger world than "here." They're handling worldwide distribution, or distribution that includes the 6 billion people who aren't Americans.

You don't see the point of an AstroBoy feature? Talk about burying something Asian. Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:54 am Reply with quote
testor: Fred Schodt said Astroboy disappointed in Japan, too, even though A.I. ironically ended up being a hit, so maybe they should adapt other Tezuka titles which hadn't gotten a chance, like they did with Metropolis. Plus, the gaijin director might not "get" Tezuka, and might end up turning Astro Boy into some dumb action-comedy like Inspector Gadget.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:14 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor: Fred Schodt said Astroboy disappointed in Japan, too, even though A.I. ironically ended up being a hit, so maybe they should adapt other Tezuka titles which hadn't gotten a chance, like they did with Metropolis. Plus, the gaijin director might not "get" Tezuka, and might end up turning Astro Boy into some dumb action-comedy like Inspector Gadget.

Disappointing in Japan does not equal bomb in Japan. The new Mighty Atom ran for one year, just like the 1980 remake did. That's some back-seat moguling, but you're essentially saying that a movie with Astroboy, the Tezuka story with the most worldwide recognition, doesn't have a point, so let's base the first truly multinational feature film production for Tezuka on something more obscure. Sure you can do that--if it's your money you're gambling with.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
the Gatchaman poster looks absolutely stunning. I'm glad IMAGI is handling both of these properties, seeing as how TMNT turned out awesome. I'm sure both Astro Boy and Gatchaman will end up as a couple of pretty cool (if not great) films. My only complaint is the wait is too long to see these....2009?! Gah...anticipation is too much. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
quartears

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:02 pm Reply with quote
whether or not these will be good, I'd love to actually see these movies on the big screen. Let's just pray they won't get screwed up.
CloakBass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
````````````````

Last edited by CloakBass on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:27 pm Reply with quote
testor: But the 2003 version was closer to the original series than the '80 version. And Metropolis did pretty well here for an anime adaptation of an unknown(at least in the U.S.) manga. A helluva lot better than Tekkon Kinkreet; and they had the Animatrix connection as their marketing gimmick for it.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor: But the 2003 version was closer to the original series than the '80 version.

That's nice. Your point?

Quote:
And Metropolis did pretty well here for an anime adaptation of an unknown(at least in the U.S.) manga. A helluva lot better than Tekkon Kinkreet; and they had the Animatrix connection as their marketing gimmick for it.

That's nice. Your point?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quote
My first point is that the third series tried to recreate what was appealing about the first series-with a few updates-and fans didn't really go for it. That friggin' Mahoromatic/Chobits crap ended up making more money. Tezuka's left a lasting impression in Japan, but his work is clearly having almost as much trouble keeping up with today's kids there as it is here. My second point is that people will try different forms of entertainment, if given the chance. Sometimes, they're even more likely to try them over films with name-brand value. Look at Underdog, for example. Rolling Eyes
testorschoice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:58 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
My first point is that the third series tried to recreate what was appealing about the first series-with a few updates-and fans didn't really go for it.

Uh, enough did that it lasted as long as the 1980 remake.

Quote:
That friggin' Mahoromatic/Chobits crap ended up making more money.

Proof, please.

Quote:
Tezuka's left a lasting impression in Japan, but his work is clearly having almost as much trouble keeping up with today's kids there as it is here.

"Almost?" Remember, the series still ran for one year, just like the 1980 remake. Again, don't equate disappointing with bomb. Spider-Man 3 was a disappointing movie. But a $890.5-million-plus one.

Quote:
My second point is that people will try different forms of entertainment, if given the chance. Sometimes, they're even more likely to try them over films with name-brand value. Look at Underdog, for example. Rolling Eyes

For every Underdog, there is a Pirates of Caribbean, Harry Potter, Spider-man, and Transformers movie with name-brand value that do well. Sure, hardcore Tezuka/Urasawa fans, including those of us on this forum, would like a new Tezuka story tackled. But only when it's your own money on the line--and not someone else's money you're back-seat moguling--only then can you call that shot. Until then, most people see AstroBoy as the safer shot for the first movie, because it's the one Tezuka story most people know.

Judging by the response on this forum, most people "see the point" in that. And are happy with it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:06 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:

And that was considered a disappointment, too. Even if it did ok, by its standards, they expected more than just ok from the new version.

Quote:
Proof, please.

The fact that there were OVAS and more people cosplaying from said shows should be enough proof.

Quote:

"Almost?" Remember, the series still ran for one year, just like the 1980 remake.

Yes, but the 1980 remake was when Tezuka was long past his peak. Now, he'd be as relevant to today's kids as The Beatles.

Quote:
Again, don't equate disappointing with bomb. Spider-Man 3 was a disappointing movie. But a $890.5-million-plus one.

The new Astro Boy did as well as Rush Hour 3, not Spider-Man 3.

Quote:
For every Underdog, there is a Pirates of Caribbean, Harry Potter, Spider-man, and Transformers movie with name-brand value that do well.

And for all of those hits, there are more films like The Country Bears, Stardust, LXG, and Bratz which don't do so hot.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:23 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:

And that was considered a disappointment, too.

Proof, please.

Quote:
Even if it did ok, by its standards, they expected more than just ok from the new version.

So you admit that the standard for AstroBoy are higher than, Metropolis for example.

Quote:
The fact that there were OVAS and more people cosplaying from said shows should be enough proof.

That shows hardcore fandom, not mainstream financial success. Again, proof please.

Quote:
Quote:

"Almost?" Remember, the series still ran for one year, just like the 1980 remake.

Yes, but the 1980 remake was when Tezuka was long past his peak. Now, he'd be as relevant to today's kids as The Beatles.

Funny. You first tried to cast the new remake in a bad light by comparing it to the 1980 remake. When it's pointed out that they fared relatively the same, now you think the 1980 remake ain't so hot. Make up your mind. Wink

Quote:
Quote:
Again, don't equate disappointing with bomb. Spider-Man 3 was a disappointing movie. But a $890.5-million-plus one.

The new Astro Boy did as well as Rush Hour 3, not Spider-Man 3.

$136.3 million domestic, and an international take that's still growing? I think they'll be happy with that. Smile

Quote:
Quote:
For every Underdog, there is a Pirates of Caribbean, Harry Potter, Spider-man, and Transformers movie with name-brand value that do well.

And for all of those hits, there are more films like The Country Bears, Stardust, LXG, and Bratz which don't do so hot.

Uh, are you saying that the worldwide, cross-demographic recognition of AstroBoy is at the level of Stardust, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, or Bratz? Wink

For all of those films, there are dozens of no-name-brand films that do even worse, or fail to even secure theatrical distribution. You're still doing this unfounded back-seat moguling.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:49 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
Proof, please.

It was shorter than the original series.

Quote:

So you admit that the standard for AstroBoy are higher than, Metropolis for example.

Yes, but I don't doubt that the cost for Metropolis meant at least a similar standard of return.

Quote:
That shows hardcore fandom, not mainstream financial success.

So by that logic, One Piece is doing better than Naruto. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Funny. You first tried to cast the new remake in a bad light by comparing it to the 1980 remake. When it's pointed out that they fared relatively the same, now you think the 1980 remake ain't so hot.

The expectations for the 1980 remake weren't as high as they were for the 2003 remake, because the 1980 remake was meant to explore different ideas Tezuka had for the series, not to be a success.

Quote:
$136.3 million domestic, and an international take that's still growing? I think they'll be happy with that.

Too bad it cost $140 million.

Quote:
Uh, are you saying that the worldwide, cross-demographic recognition of AstroBoy is at the level of Stardust, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, or Bratz?

World-wide, yes. Maybe Japan and the U.S. would be slightly higher, but the Europeans would be more likely to see a cg version of Asterix than Astroboy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2