• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Sun & Moon Games Introduce Newly Discovered Pokémon in Video

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
None of them seem particularly powerful. Maybe the bear or the horse. I don't catch Pokemon that are cute but useless. I want Pokemon that utterly destroy the enemy, that grind my opponents beneath the heel of my team. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I love Mimikyu... why? Because it's delightfully meta. I mean we already got this genreations Pikachu clone, now there's a Pokemon trying to be a Pikachu clone. Man that is great!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
With his Ability Stamina and good defensive stats, Mudsdale will be a very hard Pokémon to bring down.
yappers4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
With his Ability Stamina and good defensive stats, Mudsdale will be a very hard Pokémon to bring down.

I imagine that a gym leader will have this Pokemon before you encounter it on your journey.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, Mimikyu is awesome! After last gen's Dedenne and this one's Togedemaru both just being so lame, Mimikyu will clearly be remembered as the Pika-clone of Gen 7, even though it was clearly supposed to be Togedemaru. But we won't care! I've also seen Mimikyu referred to already as "Pikabag", which is also an adorable nickname for it! Finally, a Pika-clone I can actually get behind!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

I imagine that a gym leader will have this Pokemon before you encounter it on your journey.

Then here's hoping I'll be able to find a strong Grass-type Pokémon to challenge it before then...
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
None of them seem particularly powerful. Maybe the bear or the horse. I don't catch Pokemon that are cute but useless. I want Pokemon that utterly destroy the enemy, that grind my opponents beneath the heel of my team. Razz

I hear that! But if one of those cute types stats are high upon evolving, that's another story. Wink
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

The rising popularity of Pikachu-styled merchandise around 20 years ago is the reason that Mimikyu makes itself look like Pikachu. In fact, this Pokémon is dreadfully lonely, and it thought it would be able to make friends with humans if only it looked like Pikachu.

A subtle nod to the 20th anniversary?[/quote]
RitsuLaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Awn, Mimikyu just wants to be loved, and there's so much sad fanart of him already that he must be on my team no matter what. ;-;
And FINALLY another horse pokemon, and it looks so cool too. Smile
ETX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to point out that Mudsdale is HEAVIER than GROUDON.

It weighs 2300lbs and is 8ft tall.

This thing is gonna be a beast.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Though there is a mixture of both, the Generation VII Pokémon unveiled thus far seem to lean more towards the weak but tactical rather than the direct power brute force kind of Pokémon. That being said, the small and cute Pokémon are always the first to be revealed, with the bigger, stronger Pokémon showcased later (or not at all, and people discover them when the games come out).

Personally, I think the ability Wimp Out can be very useful. If Wimpod, or whatever it fully evolves into if it evolves, has a decent Speed (or has a very low Speed with someone who knows Trick Room), Wimp Out can be a way to safely bring out your next Pokémon, especially if you give it a Focus Sash (provided your opponent does not have entry hazards, which, if it's not a single battle, is unlikely). Or you could teach it Endure and it'll be a very good scout.

Triage would also be very useful if the description means healing moves get +5 or even +6 priority, meaning it would outprioritize even moves like Protect, Detect, or Feint. If Comfie can learn Heal Pulse, this will make it useful in double and triple battles when partnered up with someone with Protect or Detect.

Emma Iveli wrote:
I love Mimikyu... why? Because it's delightfully meta. I mean we already got this genreations Pikachu clone, now there's a Pokemon trying to be a Pikachu clone. Man that is great!

Yeah, I hope it has other disguises too. I'm a bit disappointed that we don't have another transforming Ditto Pokémon, but this is still fun. Disguise is an interesting Ability too, able to completely negate the first attack done to it. A great Pokémon to switch into if you're not sure what your opponent will do, but hopefully Mimikyu has other things going for it, as that alone isn't worth a spot on a team, personally (unless Mimikyu is your first Pokémon).

classicalzawa wrote:
Oh man, Mimikyu is awesome! After last gen's Dedenne and this one's Togedemaru both just being so lame, Mimikyu will clearly be remembered as the Pika-clone of Gen 7, even though it was clearly supposed to be Togedemaru. But we won't care! I've also seen Mimikyu referred to already as "Pikabag", which is also an adorable nickname for it! Finally, a Pika-clone I can actually get behind!

I think the problem with these Pika-clones is that none of them evolve. Pachirisu is pretty much the last one people remember because it was the most recent one people found really good competitive use for in battle. Of course, that only means I'll interpret it as a challenge, to MAKE them useful. After all, I made good use of Plusle and Minun in Pokémon Battle Revolution.

ETX wrote:

The Clydesdale, the breed Mudsdale is based on, was bred to be as big as possible. That height is about in line for a Clydesdale, though its weight is exaggerated (but horses are stupid heavy compared to how they look and how fast they run).
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
ETX wrote:

Actually, it's only 2,018 lbs, but you're right that Mudsdale vastly outweighs Groudon (ignoring its Mega Evolution). This makes it highly susceptible to Grass Knot.

Edit: My sincere apologies. Embarassed I misread Groudon and Mudsdale's info. Groudon's weight is 2,094 lbs; Mudsdale's is 2028 lbs. Hence, Groudon is still marginally heavier.

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Mimikyu is the monster's English name? You'd think they'd have gone with "Mimichu" or something. I see that "kyu" and it reads like the transliteration of a Japanese word.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote
The only one I'm not crazy about is Bewear, terrible name by the way.

Also wow, a pokemon based on a horseshoe crab!
SejinPK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
ETX wrote:

Actually, it's only 2018lbs, but you're right that Mudsdale vastly outweighs Groudon (ignoring its Mega Evolution). This makes it highly susceptible to Grass Knot.

Serebii lists Groudon's weight (the non-mega version) as 2,094.4 lbs, and according to this article, Mudsdale weighs 2,028.3 lbs. So unless one or both bits of info is incorrect, Groudon is still slightly heavier.

I'm hoping Mudsdale isn't yet another slow, physically bulky ground type with low special stats. From the description, it already seems like it'll be slow, but I'm still hoping they'll do something different with its other stats, as the whole ground/rock/steel Pokemon with high/decent HP and physical stats, while having low speed and special stats, has been done plenty already.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2