• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Weeks of July 1-28

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Sweetness and Lightning is certainly a heartening watch, though I am surprised to see it faring as well as it currently does. Conversely, as someone who is not watching Berzerk, I understood from the ongoing commentary that it is marred by its production values. Its rock-bottom ranking suggests I underestimated precisely how severe these issues are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I am very glad to see this column. After last week's absence I was beginning to wonder if these rankings were no longer going to be published. This column is the only reason why I bother to rate the episode reviews from the shows I follow.

On the actual rankings, the cumulative makes sense at the top and bottom. The only thing I could see as surprise is that the much anticipated Love Live Sunshine is in the middle of the cumulative; I thought everybody was nuts about it.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am very glad to see this column. After last week's absence I was beginning to wonder if these rankings were no longer going to be published. This column is the only reason why I bother to rate the episode reviews from the shows I follow.

On the actual rankings, the cumulative makes sense at the top and bottom. The only thing I could see as surprise is that the much anticipated Love Live Sunshine is in the middle of the cumulative; I thought everybody was nuts about it.

The Love Live! fandom is not actually all that big, but they are passionate! And fans have pretty divided opinions on how the new season is going on top of that.
Vongola Prim0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
O.o Consider me surprised by Tales of Z's ranking. While I am not someone who has yet tried that franchise, I assumed the anime would extensively popular due to it having an existing audience. The only logical reason I can think of is the lack of it's fan being ANN users which I guess is much more probable than the anime disappointing it's fans since it seems to be going good so far(perhaps a bit slow?). Still not a ranking I would expect from a Ufotable Show.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
This is going to be a tough season for me. And I imagine my votes will be almost meaningless, based on my understanding of this voting system. I've giving straight 5's to 3 series(Amanchu, Sweetness and Lightning, and Mob Psycho) and 4 or 4.5 to almost every other show I'm checking out. Though that's the best kind of problem to have. I'm watching fewer things this season than I have in a couple of years, but everything I've seen so far has been really great! Very Happy

Vongola Prim0 wrote:
O.o Consider me surprised by Tales of Z's ranking. While I am not someone who has yet tried that franchise, I assumed the anime would extensively popular due to it having an existing audience. The only logical reason I can think of is the lack of it's fan being ANN users which I guess is much more probable than the anime disappointing it's fans since it seems to be going good so far(perhaps a bit slow?). Still not a ranking I would expect from a Ufotable Show.

Really? I was surprised to see it that high! It's #4 on the weekly ranking.
Anyway, people don't just unequivocally love everything Ufotable does. They generally vote pretty fairly based on each episodes' merits. Remember God Eater?
Vongola Prim0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Remember God Eater?

Funny thing is, I didn't recall it till you wrote the name. Wasn't interested, didn't watch, so I guess my mind automatically taught back to the last Ufotable show I watched :F/SN: UBW. Also, it was the series ranking that sword that surprised me. #14 hardly seems "right"...then again I am barely watching any anime this season so maybe I should broaden my scope before assuming things.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised by Re:Zero at the top. It has overshadowed every show airing so far ever since episode 15 aired.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I missed this column! Hooray stats yes good my brain is happy now. I'm glad to see it's back!

No major surprises in the rankings yet, though. I'm well aware some of my current personal favorites, (Cheer Boys and Days) are not really the "best" but I definitely understand why the tops are up where they are Very Happy
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see this column return. On Zestiria, I think it will go up going forward given how sharp it has increased the last two weeks. Kinda disappointed in Rewrite's ranking but then again I'm a little disappointed in the show itself. Yeah no surprise on the top. Re:zero's definitely earned it. The bottom might be interesting unless Taboo Tattoo stays at the bottom in the weekly.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I call BS on Berserks ranking, yeah it's not great by any means, and the choice to use so much CG is very disappointing, though somewhat understandable giving the high quality art. But really, near the bottom? Is the hate blinding peoples judgement.
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm only watching a few this season, but my current rankings are:
Thunderbolt Fantasy, Handa-kun, Arslan, Mob Psycho, Fate Illya, New Game, Love Live, Tales of Zestiria, Taboo Tattoo

Thunderbolt and Handa-kun are great fun, while Arslan and Mob Psycho are good. Anything written after Mob Psycho is "meh" to me.
Handa-kun's low ranking is the one that surprised me, I think it's hilarious.
MarshalBanana wrote:
I call BS on Berserks ranking, yeah it's not great by any means...But really, near the bottom? Is the hate blinding peoples judgement.

Something that had hype and then disappointed is going to be graded far more harshly because disappointment is a stronger feeling than displeasure.
Jedi Master Kirito

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:46 pm Reply with quote
No mention of Bananya? This list is invalid.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Already? As mentioned in the forums of many of the previous entries in the column, shows that aren't reviewed are not ranked.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Feels weird to have planetarian in this. What's gonna happen once it ends? Will the last episode keep ranking every week?
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I call BS on Berserks ranking, yeah it's not great by any means, and the choice to use so much CG is very disappointing, though somewhat understandable giving the high quality art. But really, near the bottom? Is the hate blinding peoples judgement.

It's probably something people are a lot more willing to hate watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2