• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Mr. Osomatsu 'Episode 3.5,' Gakuen Heaven, GTO's English Dub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fencer_x

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
For all its weird comedy, Gakuen Heaven is probably one of the best BL series out there, if only because it lacks anything in the way of sexual assault (well...there is a weird elbow-licking scene that was supposed to be "wound cleaning"...) and unhealthy relationships, with its biggest flaw essentially being that, well, EVERYONE is gay, it seems.

So for anyone looking for a break from creepy/skeevy BL series that keep getting animated, Gakuen Heaven is very sweet and very cute, and at only 12 eps (I think), it won't take long to get through. It's also not explicit at all (despite being based on a very explicit dating sim lol), so if you're also just looking for something lighter/sweeter, this is a good series.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
More Osomatsu! I've missed this show! It's still funny! Why haven't they announced another cour or five? It's getting such good sales! *sigh*

As for the episode itself, the first segment is basically undiluted fanservice (I didn't count all the times a Matsu appears at least half nude in ikeman form, but it's a lot), could've been funnier. The second segment is pretty damn near perfect, and definitely the funniest anime segment I've seen since the last episode of Osomatsu-san. It also has a good moral: jealousy turns you into a monster, blaming others for your lack of social skills is counterproductive (sorry, Tomoko Kuroki! Saying "No Matter How I Look At It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular" isn't going to do much besides make your resentment worse), and its good to find safe ways to vent frustration. But best of all, it's funny and that's all that matters.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:46 pm Reply with quote
More Osomatsu! I've missed this show! It's still funny! Why haven't they announced another cour or five? It's getting such good sales! *sigh*

As for the episode itself, the first segment is basically undiluted fanservice (I didn't count all the times a Matsu appears at least half nude in ikeman form, but it's a lot), could've been funnier. The second segment is pretty damn near perfect, and definitely the funniest anime segment I've seen since the last episode of Osomatsu-san. It also has a good moral: jealousy turns you into a monster, blaming others for your lack of social skills is counterproductive (sorry, Tomoko Kuroki! Saying "No Matter How I Look At It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular" isn't going to do much besides make your resentment worse), and its good to find safe ways to vent frustration. But best of all, it's funny and that's all that matters.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote

Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote

MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:29 am Reply with quote
I'm happy that they've got the dub for GTO. I know it is a bit rough around the edges, mainly the script, and the original is probably better acted. But there was a lot of great talent working on it, and most of them fitted into their roles perfectly.
Loveless100

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
For all its weird comedy, Gakuen Heaven is probably one of the best BL series out there, if only because it lacks anything in the way of sexual assault (well...there is a weird elbow-licking scene that was supposed to be "wound cleaning"...) and unhealthy relationships, with its biggest flaw essentially being that, well, EVERYONE is gay, it seems.

So for anyone looking for a break from creepy/skeevy BL series that keep getting animated, Gakuen Heaven is very sweet and very cute, and at only 12 eps (I think), it won't take long to get through. It's also not explicit at all (despite being based on a very explicit dating sim lol), so if you're also just looking for something lighter/sweeter, this is a good series.

I believe it also fits under the "There are no girls in the whole show" category along with Sukisho.

Compared to the game, I really like how it's a cute school romance. And unlike otome game anime adaptations, it ends with one of the suitors getting with him.

On the Gakuen Heaven note, I wonder if the sequel game will get an anime. I'd love to see that.

Edit: This Osomatsu episode is probably one of the better ones...though to be fair it probably couldn't be broadcasted...the Matsujiru was hilarious~
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:56 am Reply with quote
For Steve Blum fans, he played Onizuka. As much of a sub-watcher as I am, CR still needs a lot more dubs. It would be nice if they stream that upcoming "Digimon Tri" dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1