• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ryohgo Narita Works on Final Baccano! Novel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to it. I've been following the series a few months ago and really been enjoying his works. Might give DRRR novels a try in the future too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheMorry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
With this coming to a end I bet Baccano will get the same treatment like Durarara did in the sequel anime adapation, a multiple cours season. Though i wonder if Aniplex USA will pick up the sequel or if they let Funimation get it and dub it. Anyone else wish for more Baccano anime?
Karl2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
With this coming to a end I bet Baccano will get the same treatment like Durarara did in the sequel anime adapation, a multiple cours season. Though i wonder if Aniplex USA will pick up the sequel or if they let Funimation get it and dub it. Anyone else wish for more Baccano anime?

Yes and with Shuka doing 91 days, it would be perfect for them to make an complete adaptation of Baccano.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:

Considering how much of a failure sales-wise the Durarara sequels were,I can't see any producer throwing money into a Baccano sequel (along with the disastrous sales numbers of the show)

Last edited by Themaster20000 on Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lovely

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Erm. I'm a little confused on why Narita (according to the article) says that people were expecting one of the 1930 novels to be the last book?

Unless he meant the last book in the 1930's arc. There's still a ton of stuff in the 2000 era story that hasn't been resolved yet.

As to more anime of the rest of Baccano... eeeeeh. Don't get me wrong, I love the books with the passion of a thousand firey suns, but I don't know if they would do all that well if translated to anime form. The original series didn't do so well in Japan if I recall what I've heard correctly. And many of the books don't contain the same casts.

Book spoiler:
spoiler[Jacuzzi and Firo never "officially" meet/talk to each other, until book 20-something! ]

Not to mention that the series is pretty long, 22 books so far.

Don't get me wrong, it would be nifty to see all that stuff animated, but... well, it would be something of a challenge.
Peophin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm also confused. It looks like he's talking about the upcoming 1935-E being the end of the 1930s arc, not the end of the series proper? We've known for a while that 1935 would be the end of the "main" 1930s storyline, and that there would be another final 2003 novel to properly wrap up the series. Surely he wouldn't leave important plot threads hanging like that?
Lovely

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, and the more that I think about it, even the 1935 books* were dropping plot hints and stuff for the 2000 arc.

So yeah, I think this is just a case of ANN misunderstanding Narita's tweet.

* I've only read the first two books of 1935 so far since I'm going LEGIT now and going to be stickin' to the Yen On release.
................It's uh... it's gonna be a while.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Karl2 wrote:
TheMorry wrote:

Yes and with Shuka doing 91 days, it would be perfect for them to make an complete adaptation of Baccano.

Hell yeah! Very Happy

I've always prefered Baccano over Durarara anyway. The characters in Baccano are WAY more interesting to me. Let's hope for a continuation of Baccano, y'all! Smile
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
May the anime gods bless us with the return of Baccano soon.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
TheMorry wrote:

Considering how much of a failure sales-wise the Durarara sequels were,I can't see any producer throwing money into a Baccano sequel (along with the disastrous sales numbers of the show)

Well, with today tendency for returns of the iconic works and adaptations after the original material ending, it cannot be all about the money. There is a chance.
wallofillusion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm 100% positive he means the last book in the 1930s arc (and therefore the last book for mortal characters like Jacuzzi, Ladd, Tick, Maria... a significant portion of the cast). The structure Narita's been referring to for a while has been 1935 as a climax to the series, wrapping up the 1930s, with a smaller arc set in 2003 to serve as an epilogue to the entire series and tie up some loose ends about the Immortals and from the earlier 2002 arc.

As Lovely and Peophin point out, 1935 has been making references to things happening in 2003, too. 1935-EPILOGUE is not going to be the last book of the series.

(edit: forgot to mention Peophin's contributions as well, my bad!)
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:

Aniplex gave no shit to have the VAs from the Studio Deen's adaptations of the Fate series to reprise their roles in the ufotable ones(save for a couple of exceptions) and also when spoiler[a certain couple made a cameo in DRRR] so don't expect them to be different now.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
TheMorry wrote:

Aniplex gave no shit to have the VAs from the Studio Deen's adaptations of the Fate series to reprise their roles in the ufotable ones(save for a couple of exceptions) and also when spoiler[a certain couple made a cameo in DRRR] so don't expect them to be different now.
Well there is a differences in situations. Fate Stay night was not of Aniplex to begin with. Im happy that Mela Lee voiced Rin in all adapations though. While Durarara and and Baccano are of Aniplex. That certain couple you speak off their appearance was so small that it probably cost to much to hire Funimation for those 2 voices to be recorded. Besides that there was no point really, they played no real part to be begin with. And i do think Aniplex cares about the VA they used or others used. Black Butler for example. You would think S3 + the OVA and most likely the upcoming movie would be licensed by AoA, but they let Funimation get it instead. Its just a matter of time that Black Butler S1 and S2 will return to Aniplex (US).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I love me some Baccano!.

Isn't the 2000s stuff still going with spoiler[Fermet just having revealed to Czes that he's still somehow alive?] He must mean he's finishing the 1930s stuff, since all of that seems to be coming to a final (hopefully bloody) head.

I want more anime, damn it. And I want Funimation to dub it, because that cast was magical.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
johnnysasaki wrote:
TheMorry wrote:

Well there is a differences in situations. Fate Stay night was not of Aniplex to begin with. Im happy that Mela Lee voiced Rin in all adapations though. While Durarara and and Baccano are of Aniplex. That certain couple you speak off their appearance was so small that it probably cost to much to hire Funimation for those 2 voices to be recorded. Besides that there was no point really, they played no real part to be begin with. And i do think Aniplex cares about the VA they used or others used. Black Butler for example. You would think S3 + the OVA and most likely the upcoming movie would be licensed by AoA, but they let Funimation get it instead. Its just a matter of time that Black Butler S1 and S2 will return to Aniplex (US).

In Japan,different companies are handling the different adaptations,but they still use the same VAs.Even Prisma Illya has the original VAs,so that's not excuse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2