• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Rising of the Shield Hero Novel 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
the part about the other three heroes believing they couldn't die really drove it home about how detached they are from the reality of the situation.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Even given the editing and translation issues in this volume, I feel it's a large improvement from the previous volumes (I wonder if this is when the author finally got an editor...)

I feel that this is the strongest volume so far. The two new characters, L'Arc and whats-her-name, do a lot to move along Naofumi's character development by being so unconditionally friendly and upbeat that it forces him out of his typical cynical shell, and also gives some real emotional stakes to the concluding battle. As much as the poor grammar and writing can make me want to beat my head against a wall, this series is entertaining and fun; I'm looking forward to seeing where the author goes with this strong premise.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
well, the series also has poor grammar and editing in the original japanese so that's a plus I guess ? just kidding, but afaik, this is the point where the light novel deviates from the webnovel, not that that is wrong.
Rokk3000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Like the reviewer, I am annoyed by the grammatical and translation errors in this series, especially substitution of homonyms. I have been enjoying the series though, and am buying both the novels and the manga companions, which leave out a lot of plot but have nice art. I'm still waiting for indigo to ship my copy of volume 5 as well as mangas 4-5.

Has anyone here read ahead to volume 6 etc? I like the series, though for the price the novels cost you'd think they'd proofread at least. I managed to order some at a 15% discount but in Canada they still cost a lot for the amount of story..half the amount of many typical English novels and more expensive. I'm wondering if the story continues to be interesting. I noticed in the blurb that he ends up in a different world, presumably separated from his party for a while.
the green death

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I've been thoroughly enjoying this light novel series. I'm happy to see stuff published that doesn't have an anime, and this is a particularly entertaining series, even though the main character can be a bit of a dick at times.
Rokk3000

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Understandably so, I think. Betrayed and robbed by his "partner," condemned by the king and his comrades," one of those comrades getting his equipment and his partner, nearly everyone believing he is guilty of rape, and then all the other things pulled by the princess and the spear hero to make life nearly impossible for him. It's a wonder he bothered to help anyone at all. He could have just earned enough money to live comfortably.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1