• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Makoto Shinkai Wants to Make Next Work About Teens in 3 Years

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SNaGem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:55 pm Reply with quote
He is amazingly humble about his work. I respect his devotion to his craft and his reaction to fans. An admirable director. Hopefully the West takes a lot of notice of him now.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I will have to say that this was leagues more enjoyable than anything post Spirited Away. Had everything those other movies didn't. Also, this was my favourite Shinkai film.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote
He has the potential to become a really great director so I wish him luck in directing his next film. Smile
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
I'm both happy and afraid for Shinkai-sensei, I love that he keeps saying "I'm not Miyazaki" and hope he can hold up under the pressure to outdo this monster success. Just keep making what speaks to you first and fans second (or fourth..) Cool
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
He's been a great director this entire time, IMO.

3 years seems to fit his established pattern, so not too surprising.
Just his bigger-name films: 2002, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2013, 2016....so 3 years isn't unusual at all for him.

Also found this real quick via google....Quote from 2005? I think about people calling him the next Miyazaki back then:

Its an honor to hear, but I think the comparison is an overestimation. I myself am very influenced by Hayao Miyazaki, but his works have an incomparable richness that is not the same “animation” as my animation. I certainly won’t create such wonderful works in my future. However, I would like to deliver works that have a different place with audiences than the place of Hayao Miyazaki’s films.

Last edited by Kougeru on Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:23 am Reply with quote
SNaGem wrote:
He is amazingly humble about his work.

Pretty sure anyone other than Kanye West would say the same thing this dude said :p
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
An expected response. Just let your work do the talking for you.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:31 am Reply with quote
Very good luck to him and may his future works would also receive great reception. And nice to see Disney's stuff got curbstomped badly in Japan by this movie.
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:20 am Reply with quote
Another legendary work by a legendary director. Good job. I'm looking forward to this.
bodlat25

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:48 am Reply with quote
I love the Kimi no Na wa. (Your name.) but I like if there is a happy ending. However I think this is those anime that end without happy ending and the viewers will just imagine the happy ending or draw.

I hope Makoto-sensei's next film has happy ending for main protagonist although I haven't watch the other film of Makoto-sensei. Smile
endallchaos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
I will have to say that this was leagues more enjoyable than anything post Spirited Away. Had everything those other movies didn't. Also, this was my favourite Shinkai film.

I prefer Makoto Shinkai's movies over Ghibli's, but I think Spirited Away is a bit overrated. I much prefer The Wind Rises, From Up on Poppy Hill, When Marnie Was There and Only Yesterday. I know, most of those aren't films by Miyazaki, but they are made by Ghibli.

bodlat25 wrote:
I love the Kimi no Na wa. (Your name.) but I like if there is a happy ending. However I think this is those anime that end without happy ending and the viewers will just imagine the happy ending or draw.

I hope Makoto-sensei's next film has happy ending for main protagonist although I haven't watch the other film of Makoto-sensei. Smile

It was an open ending leaning toward a happy ending. His films not having (an obvious) happy ending, or a happy ending at all is what I like about them. They feel a little bit more fresh in the world of movies, which is full of generic 'happily ever after' type of endings.

Also, I might be spoiling the ending to the movie I'm about to name (Don't read it if you don't want to be spoiled), but from what I could remember,spoiler[ The Place Promised in Our Early Days] has a happy ending. So... You might like that Shinkai film.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
endallchaos wrote:
They feel a little bit more fresh in the world of movies...

Shinkai problem is that his story-telling range is extremely limited, to put it politely. Therefore the "freshness" wears out pretty quickly, and I can't see him rising to Miyazaki-level of greatness if he cannot fix that.
endallchaos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
endallchaos wrote:
They feel a little bit more fresh in the world of movies...

Shinkai problem is that his story-telling range is extremely limited, to put it politely. Therefore the "freshness" wears out pretty quickly, and I can't see him rising to Miyazaki-level of greatness if he cannot fix that.

I do agree. All his films are pretty much romantics. All I know is that I very much enjoy his movies. Most of Ghibli's films that I enjoy aren't by Miyazaki. But like I said at the beginning, Shinkai's is limited so far, while Miyazaki has had a wide arrange of plots and stories.
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
In all fairness to Shinkai and Miyazaki comparison, I've yet to see a Miyazaki film that's really engaging on a story-telling level.

Both are very visual directors and that's their strength. Their writing can be okay so long as they're visually interesting. I want to see Your Name in theaters because I want a pretty-looking romance, not the most provocative story to touch my mind.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:17 am Reply with quote
bodlat25 wrote:

I guess some people find realistic endings where they don't end up together. A reason I prefer endings where the couple ends up together is because movies often are supposed to be an escape from reality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1