• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Player Claims to Beat Pokémon Sun & Moon With 1 Magikarp

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Congrats. You just became one of the GOAT's.

Haters gonna hate.
gedata

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
There's a certain quote from Karen of Johto's elite 4 on the tip of my tongue here.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Had it not been for the recovery items, Magikarp would not have stood a chance, even at Level 70+.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't be surprised. I was laughing so hard when I watched someone stream the opening of the game and was just handed like 30,000 pokedollars at the very start of the game. So silly. To think it was a reward in the original to get past Nugget bridge to get that nugget that sells for 5,000 and just simply starting the game nets you 6x the money.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
^
At least now the Trainer has enough money to buy all the Poké Balls, Potions, and Repels he/she needs. Wink
Niyari

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:49 pm Reply with quote
this classic comes to mind
diefty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:13 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
There's a certain quote from Karen of Johto's elite 4 on the tip of my tongue here.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites."

One of my favourite lines from any Pokémon game.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
No surprise, especially if Magikarp can sweep an entire team of ubers...given the right setup.

Megiddo wrote:
Wouldn't be surprised. I was laughing so hard when I watched someone stream the opening of the game and was just handed like 30,000 pokedollars at the very start of the game. So silly. To think it was a reward in the original to get past Nugget bridge to get that nugget that sells for 5,000 and just simply starting the game nets you 6x the money.

To be fair, there are many more expensive things now than there used to be, particularly clothes and TMs. Character customization may as well not exist if we had the kind of money we did in the R/B/Y days.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm calling bullsh!t. My team is level 65 and we're getting REKT at the Pokémon League.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

And back then, the bike path was uphill both ways! Well, not really, but it seemed like it because the game was so hard! And a fat lazy blob was one of the strongest Pokemon... wait, where was I going with this?

I haven't played Sun/Moon, but most people who have say its elite four is very difficult, if you're using more straightforward tactics. The Magikarp-cheese "strategy" is a well-known stunt that's been done in other games, and requires a ton of healing items. Gen 1 has quite a few of its own cheap ways to win (abusing the way crits are calculated to get crits over 99% of the time, for example).
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:23 am Reply with quote
That Magikarp can easily decimate Shanks from One Piece Laughing
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:38 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

The money can be used for anything, but the early boutique is quite expensive and buying one full outfit of your choice costs pretty much 20-30,000 yen/pd. Since the clothing is more consistently priced, it makes more sense to give the player more spending money rather than make the clothing cheaper or something. Besides, it gives other players who don't care about customization (Wait, do these sorts of people even exist?) more freedom.
Coolback

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:13 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I'm calling bullsh!t. My team is level 65 and we're getting REKT at the Pokémon League.

This, it's just because you're a big noob Wink
tsundereikemen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:02 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Just gotta git gud :^)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
Magikarp is finally useful, so why can't they make Magikarp more useful in the games?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2