• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuri!!! on Ice Anime Casts Pro Skater Nobunari Oda as Himself

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
Just browsing through some YouTube vid of his past performances and WOW! Nobunari is such a jovial skater!!! Here he is skating to Super Mario Bros theme song back in 2005!! Such an energetic and comedical athlete; can't wait to hear him in episode 11~ Very Happy

Edit: And he's still skating even at 29 years old!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
His other claim to fame is being a direct descendant from Oda Nobunaga.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:10 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
His other claim to fame is being a direct descendant from Oda Nobunaga.

Has he said that himself or is that intended as a joke? Oda is a fairly common last name
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote
^ Apparently that's what he said~

Here's a Japanese article debating that and I can only rely on the Google Translate version so, obviously someone more literate can translate it. Seriously, even in a sports anime Nobunaga Oda is freaking everywhere! (o_O)

Also, there's a Tumblr rumor about Yuzuru Hanyo's ancestors might have been connected to the Azai clan. Basically, we know that the sequel of Yuri on Ice will be a historical figure skating battle royal ala Fate/Stay Night! Razz
Jinbei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:29 am Reply with quote
^ It's not impossible that Nobunari is a direct descendant of THAT Oda. Nobunaga had 13 sons and 9 daughters and while many of them passed away in the early 1600's, most of them probably had children and it is known that Oda clan became vassals of either Toyotomi clan or Tokugawa clan, meaning that they survived the most turbulent years.

As for Nobunari..... well... we only have his claim about his ancestry, so he might have some proof about it...
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:31 am Reply with quote
I cant wait for his cameo since Plushenko lowkey made an appearance too. If there's gonna be a sequel I wish Evgenia would make a cameo too since she's such a fan of YOI.
I haven't heard that rumor where Nobunari is a direct descendent og Nobunaga, his parents might be a big Oda fan
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:10 am Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
^ Apparently that's what he said~

Here's a Japanese article debating that and I can only rely on the Google Translate version so, obviously someone more literate can translate it.

The summary is that people in Japan are skeptical about the claim; it's always framed as he claims it, and that there's no objective evidence to support it.

He was being interviewed by Masahiro Nakai of SMAP on Nippon TV's "The World's Astonishing News!" and pressed about whether it was true that he was a descendant. He said he was, and when cross-examined as to proof, he said that the family tree in his house was the evidence. They brought out the family tree, and it definitely started with Oda Nobunaga and ended with him as the 17th generation descendant. However, there was a gap between the 9th generation and the 14th generation. He called up his father on the program and his dad said that the 13th generation person's name was Toyoharu. This still left the question of the 10th, 11th, and 12th generation unclear, Nobunari claimed that it was lost because it was wartime, and Masahiro Nakai remained suspicious.

Masahiro pointed out that starting with the 8th or 9th generation the names stopped using the kanji read as Nobu in Nobunaga, and then it started up again with the 15th generation, his grandfather. So he put forth the theory that the family started using names with that kanji in order to pretend like they were a direct descendant.

He claims to be descended from Nobunaga's seventh son, Odu Nobutaka (織田信高).
lys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
December 14 in the show's 11th episode 14

This looked for a minute like it was talking about an "episode 14." Typo, don't get my hopes up...
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
Quote:
December 14 in the show's 11th episode 14

This looked for a minute like it was talking about an "episode 14." Typo, don't get my hopes up...

I thought it was saying it's the 11th episode 14, like, there's been 11 episode 14s.

Anyway, this is cute news. It's cool that they're getting real people in, gets everyone involved.
pikopika

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:16 am Reply with quote
Good job for Oda-san! I wonder how he will end up sounding in the episode(s).

I also didn't know Morooka was voiced by an actual commentator! It's no wonder the commentation sounded authentic. Thank you for the information, Anime News Network. Very Happy
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:23 am Reply with quote
It is claimed that Kung Tsui-chang (7/1/75; Senior Adviser to the Chinese President) is 78th great-grandson of Confucius (551-479 B.C.). If that is true, then I don't doubt the possiblity this ice skater is a direct descendant of Nobunaga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1