• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Cat Fight

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:08 am Reply with quote
I could not possibly disagree more with this evaluation of Hare+Guu... wallows in mediocrity? This is one of the funniest anime ever! $100 seems like a good price, too (box-sets can run $150 or more, usually).
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quote
Whoa... 400 minutes of Hagaren for $40?! That's like... the price that anime SHOULD cost!

I will definitely be investing in Fullmetal Alchemist... eventually. When I actually have money. And it's not even because I'm a huge Hagaren fan (I'm not), but that I think that Funimation should be rewarded for such a brilliant marketing decision. I hope that enough people will do that same so that more industry giants can pull stuff like this, at least for the super-popular series.
youkai_ronin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and Akitsuki, so thrilled for the chance of eventually getting his penis touched....

Best thing ever said about Suzuka....ever. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Long Live Shelf Life. Cool
Nermal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I could not possibly disagree more with this evaluation of Hare+Guu... wallows in mediocrity? This is one of the funniest anime ever! $100 seems like a good price, too (box-sets can run $150 or more, usually).

I really enjoyed Hare+Guu as well...I wear my chest hair wig to sleep every night. The box set may be $100 retail, but at least that's cheaper than buying the 7 discs individually.

I also bought the FMA box set 1 and I'm glad it came with all the booklets for each volume. I didn't enjoy stuffing them all back into the box, but at that price, I shouldn't really complain.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quote
I ended up buying the Hare box set for $63.89 at TRSI since it felt like a major hole in my collection, but have not gotten around to watching it yet. At under $10 a DVD it didn't seem like much.

I just watched Suzuka 3 a few weeks ago and felt like the series should have wrapped up with that volume. I have never despised a title character as much as Suzuka. The creators seem to go so far out of their way to turn her into a #!@$ that there is no way I can feel sorry for her. spoiler[As far as I'm concerned Yamato and Honoka hooking up would have been a happy ending to me] The fact that there are a few more DVDs on the horizon has me worried.

I'm glad that Funimation is including those gorgeous books with their FMA release. They did a good job with the extras on that series.
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:25 am Reply with quote
Ah, Zhang Ziyi.

I can remember seeing her for the first time in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and thinking how beautiful she was and how she kicked ass too! Then there was House of Flying Daggers and Memoirs of a Geisha. Now to read about the crown jewel of her portfolio: Princess Racoon Wink

Seriously though, I believe I read an article back when Memoirs was about to open that she had switched her name around to Ziyi Zhang. I believe it had something to do with being in more western films. Hmmm...or do I have that backwards? Embarassed

This is the first Shelf Life that I can remember that didn't feature anything I'm watching. Well, I don't include FMA because that is a re-issue.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:37 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Seriously though, I believe I read an article back when Memoirs was about to open that she had switched her name around to Ziyi Zhang. I believe it had something to do with being in more western films. Hmmm...or do I have that backwards? Embarassed

Zhang is her family name. She probably did that to avoid confusing Western audiences.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sago

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:55 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I totally agree with you.

I would buy Hare+Guu boxset but right now, no money =/ Even so, it's surely worthy!
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:32 am Reply with quote
So everything has worked out and ImaginAsian is actually able to send out their DVDs now? I thought I'd read as much on AoD, but just wanting to clarify this point, as I very much intend to invest in Cat's Eye and Remi, but feel no pressing need to order them until I know they're actually being released. And until November, as I've already busted up my anime budget this month due to Geneon purchases.
babbo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:29 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:

I just watched Suzuka 3 a few weeks ago and felt like the series should have wrapped up with that volume. I have never despised a title character as much as Suzuka. The creators seem to go so far out of their way to turn her into a #!@$ that there is no way I can feel sorry for her. spoiler[As far as I'm concerned Yamato and Honoka hooking up would have been a happy ending to me] The fact that there are a few more DVDs on the horizon has me worried.

Agreed, but as soon as they hooked up I immedieately prepared to be dissappointed. The only show that annoyed me more than suzuka was Rumbling Hearts (funniest english title ever even if (i may be mistaken) it is accurate).
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:03 am Reply with quote
I loved the Suzuka review. I gave up on the series after a few episodes because I couldn't stand the characters. Bamboo's comments on the volume cracked me up.

"Curse you, rising industry standards" Laughing
irishninja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with Bamboo on Hare + Guu. The first disc is great. The last disc is great. The other N number of discs (can't remember if that's 4 or 5) are extraordinarily meh.

But then, to each his own. Smile
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quote
In my experience, Hare+Guu is either something you love or hate... The FMA deal is nice, too, but yeah, I'm strapped for cash, so it's on my "wish list" for Xmas.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote
The FMA box set is completely worth it. Not only is FMA a great series, but the set is lovely (and shiny!) and comes with all the booklets from the separate DVDs. I would have been willing to pay far more than the $40 I paid for my set. I can't wait for the next ones to arrive. Very Happy
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:38 pm Reply with quote
phoenixphire24 wrote:
The FMA box set is completely worth it. Not only is FMA a great series, but the set is lovely (and shiny!) and comes with all the booklets from the separate DVDs. I would have been willing to pay far more than the $40 I paid for my set. I can't wait for the next ones to arrive. Very Happy

Sssshh!! Don't tell Funi! I still have to buy my set, and $40 is a fab price.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2