• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Now We're Having Fun

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
A ton of actors in studio, but wheres Brittney Karbowski?? I miss her unique voice Sad
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
All the discussion of theatrical releases was interesting. However, if you don't live in or near a major population center listening to it is rather frustrating. Like teasing a kid with candy they can't have.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
A ton of actors in studio, but wheres Brittney Karbowski?? I miss her unique voice Sad

Since she has a 2-year-old girl (born in Oct. 2014) and based in Houston, her roles at Funi are limited. She is the lead in the Monster Hunter simuldub.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to Zac and Funimation for this very informative episode. Funimation should just go ahead and release the Tatami Galaxy on disc; I am not a big fan of that show, but I pledge to buy a BD/DVD copy of it if you release it.

Treeborn wrote:

She is still doing dubs at Sentai; she is in the great dub they made for Amagi Brilliant Park.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:50 am Reply with quote
I always enjoy the industry episodes! The Escaflowne/Code Geass comments were interesting. I kind of wish they went more into the Kickstarter aspect of the Escaflowne campaign, rather than just the QA part. I think some people were frustrated with the lack of communication for that project, and didn't think they allocated enough resources or time to devote to the backer-support/communication aspects, which could have saved both parties some frustration and hassle overall.

I thought the Tatami Galaxy comment was pretty much noncommittal. I don't think she knew which rights they had exactly (which is fair if its not her title), but if they do have it, I wish they would just give it a bare-bones blu-ray already. I've seen them put out a couple sub-only releases once in a while, and I honestly would gladly take a sub-only release, since it would be pretty tough to adapt anyways.

And I could not be more excited for that Wolf's Rain release. It's my favorite anime series, and I've recommended this show so many times always with the disclaimer that it was out-of-print, so it will be nice to be able to point people in a direction to watch it. Now if only those earlier Satoshi Kon films + Paranoia Agent could be rescued...
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:04 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Treeborn wrote:

Since she has a 2-year-old girl (born in Oct. 2014) and based in Houston, her roles at Funi are limited. She is the lead in the Monster Hunter simuldub.

Yeah, the main question they ask in casting simuldubs is if someone will be available, so it seems to have a limiting effect on Houston actors being able to record. At the last convention I went to, Greg Ayers said that he has to drive back home to Houston after each session because he would lose money if he got a hotel room, and simuldubs don't allow them to record all of a characters lines close together anymore.

Great ANNcast, by the way. I wasn't sure I was going to listen to all of it, and then it was almost done before I realized how long I had been listening.

It is nice to hear that whatever methods they use to pick shows is working for them because licensing and committing to a dub before episode one is even made seems like a daunting task to me.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:04 am Reply with quote
I was waiting tensely when the question about Mach Go Go Go ( Speed Racer) was asked, praying that the answer wouldn't be "Weelllll, that kinda fell through."

I am really looking forward to this release; My CD soundtrack and English-only DVDs are lonely.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:10 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
I thought the Tatami Galaxy comment was pretty much noncommittal. I don't think she knew which rights they had exactly (which is fair if its not her title), but if they do have it, I wish they would just give it a bare-bones blu-ray already. I've seen them put out a couple sub-only releases once in a while, and I honestly would gladly take a sub-only release, since it would be pretty tough to adapt anyways.

Japanese rights holders are probably even more to blame for sitting it for all these years.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:22 am Reply with quote
When they say they look to similar shows as predictors of success, I'm curious as to what kind of similarities they ascribe that success? Is it similarities in theme? Visuals? Staff?

In the case of Tatami Galaxy there's really nothing else like it until we get "Night is Short, Walk, Girl". I'm not sure why Justin seemed eager to draw a connection to ACCA, which doesn't share any similarities narratively or aesthetically except that Natsume Ono character designs could be said to be similarly distinct like those of Yuusuke Nakamura, (though Nakamura's designs are far more attractive and less likely to turn viewers off).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:03 am Reply with quote
I wish they would do a Funi show with Justin Rojas and Justin Sevakis. I miss hearing the latter's rants and the techno-talk.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:58 am Reply with quote
Damn it, Funimation. You licensed Outlaw Star and Speed Racer ages ago, either sh** or get off the pot. This is even worse than Sentai's LoGH hold up. Don't even announce a license until you have the material and have worked on it somewhat. If you can't handle the project, give it to a licensor who is capable of giving it their time. If the Japanese companies don't give you the materials, drop it, and tell us you've dropped it, rather than leaving the fans in suspense. Otherwise, don't come onto a show like this with so little to say.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have some big grudge. Most of my anime collection now is Funimation releases and I imagine more will be in the future. But the lack of information here is irritating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
eyevocal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Fair enough that not everybody who works at Funimation would be able to answer questions about how well one title or the other sold, since that's not their department, but you'd think that they'd know by now that they're going to be asked about that by Zac/the Twitter questioners at several points when they come on the 'cast. So why don't they bring on one of their staff who can say with authority that this title or the other did gangbusters, great, all right, uhhh...? Of course, that doesn't mean they have to disclose sensitive numbers; they just have to be able to prevent those frustrating "I don't know"s.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Damn it, Funimation. You licensed Outlaw Star and Speed Racer ages ago

The plush UK release is in ample stock in case your patience grows too thin!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Damn it, Funimation. You licensed Outlaw Star and Speed Racer ages ago, either sh** or get off the pot. This is even worse than Sentai's LoGH hold up. Don't even announce a license until you have the material and have worked on it somewhat. If you can't handle the project, give it to a licensor who is capable of giving it their time. If the Japanese companies don't give you the materials, drop it, and tell us you've dropped it, rather than leaving the fans in suspense. Otherwise, don't come onto a show like this with so little to say.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have some big grudge. Most of my anime collection now is Funimation releases and I imagine more will be in the future. But the lack of information here is irritating.

It does seem like they announced those titles prematurely, and I would guess that they have probably learned from it, but I have to think the announcements were made with the belief that they would get the materials much sooner than this. I know a while back they said that pushing harder to get materials could backfire in regards to current or new licenses, though I had to agree with Zac's question of why they would agree to a license that had no firm date on receiving materials. They might not want to drop those titles if they already made up front payments, or they might be worried that fans will be upset that the titles are back in limbo.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
I'll never understand the hesitance to release Tatami Galaxy after FUNimation had already broken their "must dub everything" stance. One of the first successful Kickstarters for anime was Masaaki Yuasa's Kick Heart. That was already a proof positive that Yuasa's work has English speaking fans that are fervent enough to buy home video releases. It probably wouldn't sell enough to make up for the costs of a dub, but for a sub-only release, they already had the translation work done so it'd just be the disc artwork and Blu-ray authoring/duplication that would need to be done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2