• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash Novels 1 & 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
While the anime was easily one of my favorites for the whole 2016 year I'm still on the fence of whether to buy the books or not for some reason.

I also read that the beginning of the LN and anime were different, don't know if that's a factor or not but for some reason I just really don't wanna buy the books, it would be so much more enjoyable if it was animated entirely.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:42 am Reply with quote
"too much boob talk, odd emphasis on pressuring Haruhiro to want sex"

The "boob talk" really does get dropped to like 2 sentences in book 2 and the "pressure" for Haruhiro to have sex is literally just something his instructor comments on.

ultimatehaki wrote:
While the anime was easily one of my favorites for the whole 2016 year I'm still on the fence of whether to buy the books or not for some reason.

I also read that the beginning of the LN and anime were different, don't know if that's a factor or not but for some reason I just really don't wanna buy the books, it would be so much more enjoyable if it was animated entirely.
As someone who read the source first, it was pretty well adapted (they did cut like 3 or 4 scenes which you'd need to read to continue reading past what the anime adapted), I'd recommend the books obviously but I share the sentiment that I'd rather have the whole thing animated. But it's just something that isn't realistic to expect.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:

the "pressure" for Haruhiro to have sex is literally just something his instructor comments on.

It's more like three or four people - it gets brought up in a couple of tavern conversations and the old lady he helps during the spoiler[orc attack] also mentions it. It was just weird enough that it struck me.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Paulo27 wrote:

the "pressure" for Haruhiro to have sex is literally just something his instructor comments on.

It's more like three or four people - it gets brought up in a couple of tavern conversations and the old lady he helps during the spoiler[orc attack] also mentions it. It was just weird enough that it struck me.
They do call them "virgins" until they kill a [spoiler], it does end up having the double meaning because of how the characters react but never really felt like those instances were in same ground as what his instructor said which was actually talking about being a sex virgin.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
I liked the Anime and pre-ordered the Light Novels so I guess I'll see if this any good having not read the novels
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
Ironically, this review makes me want to check out the anime now. ^^; I got into Grimgar via the manga, and then ended up at a fan translation of the novel, but it was such a slog to get through volume 1 with all the tone-deaf "comedy" that I just dropped it, and I initially avoided the anime out of fear that it would be similar in tone.

So while the review alleviates some of my fears surrounding volume 2, I think I might hold off until at least volume 3 to see what kind of tone the story settles into.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
^ Honestly, I think you could get away with starting at novel three - there's one scene in volume two that's not in the anime, but I'm sure people will be delighted to spoil it for you. Smile
stilldemented

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Ao Jyumanji....that's up there as one of the coolest names I've ever seen.

Seeing it spelled Merry weirds me out to a certain extent. It's a little too close to the Going Merry from One Piece so I just start thinking about ships...which makes me think about shipping...which brings me back around to that HaruhiroXMerry ship.

I probably would have just made it Mary or Meri. Unless it's supposed to be ironic in that her name is Merry when she has more reason to be Gloomy.

I'll stop. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Anyway, sounds cool! It's neat to hear that the books aren't quite as heavy handed as the show. I might look into buying them when I get the chance. Smile
Slashman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Season 2...maybe?
Melchiorgk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I think the oddest thing about Grimgar and the isekai genre is that I cannot help but feel that Grimgar is actually based on a pen-and-paper/tabletop RPG, rather than a video game. Should probably read the books to see if that is supported in the source.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:03 am Reply with quote
Jyumonji says that he's basing it on old computer RPGs in his afterward; the author of The Faraway Paladin cites tabletop games as his influence. The earliest computer RPGs aren't that far from the tabletop ones, though...
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:26 am Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
Paulo27 wrote:

They do call them "virgins" until they kill a [spoiler], it does end up having the double meaning because of how the characters react but never really felt like those instances were in same ground as what his instructor said which was actually talking about being a sex virgin.

So basically it was a double entendre that got mistranslated in English?
Paulo27

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:30 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Paulo27 wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
Paulo27 wrote:

So basically it was a double entendre that got mistranslated in English?
No, it got properly translated. I think the reviewer just took the "virgin" as a double entendre when it isn't (at least not in all the times it's used).
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
I am talking about specific scenes, not the general usage of the term "virgin" for "no kills." As I said before, one specific example is in volume two, chapter one: spoiler[“You lack ambition!” Baba thrust a finger in Haruhiro’s direction. “You’re a man, aren’t you? You’re young! You want to sleep with women, you want to kill orcs! What are you holding back your desires for?!”] This does follow a "double virgin" comment, so she clearly is using both the in-world and real-world meanings, which leads me to the idea of a deliberate double entendre, borne out by other scenes' context and usage.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
But that's the thing. Did they say spoiler["You want to sleep with women"] in the original Kanji, or was that how the translator read it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2