• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game, Round 15

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Hint #1: spoiler[This Goethe quote carries some dramatic irony when we hear it, as the woman reciting it is doing so while in disguise. ]
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:24 am Reply with quote
Since we're now on page 100, this round will end once this quote expires or is answered correctly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Hint #2: spoiler[The speaker is disguised as a teacher, and she recites the passage again while attempting to seduce a person whom she thinks, incorrectly, is a female student.]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Hint #3: spoiler[The passage also speaks to some broader thematic content of the entire show, which deals with the speaker's relationship with what appears to be her hidden traumatic origins through regularly occurring, surreal flashbacks. One of these "flashbacks" occurs shortly after her second recitation of the passage and the failed seduction attempt.]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Hint #4: spoiler[This show is sometimes credited with revitalizing a long-running franchise by giving it a striking aesthetic redesign and taking a more serious and nuanced look at one of its central characters.]
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:52 am Reply with quote
This is a series I need to finish, so I hope I have everything correct. The speaker spoiler[is Fujiko in The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, speaking to Oscar while she masquerades as a teacher and he as a female student.]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:34 am Reply with quote
Yup! Like I said, there are actually two scenes where the line occurs and I originally meant to go with the first, which is in a different context, but since I didn't specify in the original quote, that's perfectly fine.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote
And so that's the end of the round. murph76 will be up first when the new thread starts. (Will be a few hours on that at least, since I currently have a lot of work that I need to prioritize.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote
The hegemon returns.

Code:
Vaisaga           77
Raftina           40
CrowLia           30
getchman          30
Cam0              27
Key               18
rosebrook11       10
Beltane70          7
Hikari14           5
12skippy21         4
Galap              4
murph76            4
EmbraceMe          3
Gina Szanboti      3
Touma              3
Akane the Catgirl  2
Errinundra         2
鏡                 2
mierin             2
Showsni            2
504NOSON2          1
crx07              1
Darkmagick         1
dtm42              1
LordMaou           1
Night Fox          1
Takkun4343         1
Zin5ki             1

Last edited by Errinundra on Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Yikes. Should I sit the next round out again?
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I made top 5. That's amazing. 13 more points than last round and I even beat Key. Hnngh.

getchman used to compete for 1st place with Vaisaga, but he has fallen off. I guess it'll be more about who can get the 2nd place from now on.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I'm impressed, I thought I was barely gonna cut above 20 and yet surprisingly I outdid my score from last round. I had no hopes of crowning myself a second time with Vaisaga returning, so I'm pretty pleased with the results
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
getchman used to compete for 1st place with Vaisaga, but he has fallen off. I guess it'll be more about who can get the 2nd place from now on.

To be perfectly honest, lacking a strong rival makes my victory feel pretty empty. And I can't help but think that people might have more fun if I wasn't always snapping up the quotes.

Either way, perhaps rather than sitting out I'll simply not try so hard.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm always pleasantly surprised at the scores that I've been getting on these rounds. It always feels like I only get one or two right, only top find when the scores are posted that I actually got 6 or 7 of them!
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quote
^
The round went for over 8 months so you scored less than once a month. That may explain the impression you have.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 100 of 101