• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Time Bokan 24 TV Anime Gets 2nd Season

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dandylion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
After those wonderful TV rankings ... I'm not surprised at all !!! Very Happy
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:15 am Reply with quote
I might have to try this out after all.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:53 am Reply with quote
No surprise as the end of S1 pretty much teased it, but still very happy to hear a new season is coming. S1 was really fun all the way through!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
valoon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
I knew it! Season 1 ended so unsatisfying, so it had to be done.
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:19 am Reply with quote
This flat out confirms that My Hero Academia S2 is 2 cours. In the last episode of Time Bokan, the characters joked that because MHA was starting, they were suspended for half a year.
valoon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote
Nakurawari wrote:
This flat out confirms that My Hero Academia S2 is 2 cours. In the last episode of Time Bokan, the characters joked that because MHA was starting, they were suspended for half a year.

I don't think so, could just mean that there will be another anime airing in July
SrkSano

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:45 am Reply with quote
Yes! The second half of the season was much stronger than the first half so anyone trying it out hang in there until about episode 13. It's like they saved all of their best ideas for last. The second opening and second ending are stronger too. The Moon Landing episode was the best. JFK! Nixon! A fake Stanley Kubrick! The X-Files parody OMG! So funny!

BA BOOM BA BOOM BA BOOM BA BOOM BOKAN!!!! Smile
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:55 am Reply with quote
I am glad this got another season it was like watching some weird educational kid's show that knew it was weird enjoyable but strange so count me in.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
55th
Anniversary of Tatsunoko, huh?

SO that could partially explain the push on revivals of older series AND partially explain why a lot of the old shows are just popping up on home video now.
The releases seem to be split between Funimation and Sentai.
Not a bad thing... We've finally gotten practically all of Gatchaman, Casshan, Tekkaman Knight, a bit of Yatterman, and Speed Racer on home video.
Now whether people buy this stuff or not, is another question...
Still, I don't think there's a series among the ones I mentioned that don't have at least one good entry in them. Practically all of them became instant classics when the original series were released in the 1960s and 1970s...
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
I might have to try this out after all.

I've gotten hooked on the fact that it's incredibly silly. Razz

Pretty much a five-minute Japanese Mr. Peabody cartoon stretched out to twenty-five minutes with stock toy-marketing battle-powerup footage, and a bit nationalistic (a string of Nobunaga/feudal episodes, while Western historical characters are shown to be utterly embarrassing or effeminate nutcases who say the same syllable after every sentence, and we get our share of White House/Trump jokes)...
But the "True Histories" turn out to be so completely random and non-sequitir--usually from untranslatable puns--you almost don't want to look at Crunchyroll's list of episodes to give away the episode gags.

GeorgeC wrote:
55th Anniversary of Tatsunoko, huh?
SO that could partially explain the push on revivals of older series AND partially explain why a lot of the old shows are just popping up on home video now.
Still, I don't think there's a series among the ones I mentioned that don't have at least one good entry in them. Practically all of them became instant classics when the original series were released in the 1960s and 1970s...

I know the "retro" classics like GeGeGe no Kitaro and Doraemon have to be revived once a decade by the clock, the same way My Little Pony and the Care Bears were over here, but with the Japanese, it's more cultural sentimentality.
Don't think it quite has to do with any current Japanese "Why don't they make anime like they used to?" whines about the otaku-era industry (the same reason we keep reviving 70's and 80's TV shows like Fuller House), but there's no denying that too.

I'd seen ONE episode of 80's Time Bokan back in the club days of untranslated VHS "care packages"--when your Japanese contact would just turn on the VCR for an afternoon, and you had no idea what you were watching, commercials included--and I...pretty much had no idea what I was watching. Shocked
I knew the series had to be famous, since it was mentioned in "Otaku no Video", but that was it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1