• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Other 100 Best Anime Movies of All Time, Part 3

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Thank you so much Mike, including the screen shots! At #37 is a show I haven't seen in decades but quite visually memorable. I never would have guessed Miyazaki-sensei had a hand in it. I'll have to look it up! Also, kudos for Patema Inverted at #45. For some reason critics seem to dislike Patema but I found it refreshingly inventive and entertaining, especially with the visual device that Age and Patema will be OK and can overcome powerful forces in the world as long as they are connected.

P.S. Is it my imagination, or do most of these come from the 80's and early '90s?

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, despite the fact that Type-Moon and Aniplex stand a vigilant watch to prevent people from buying and enjoying Garden of Sinners

Preach it, Mike.

All in all, this series of features have been a Godsend. My anime collection is overwhelmingly composed of TV series rather than movies, and while I doubt a lot of these titles will be getting licenses any time soon, it's nice to know what's out there.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Quote:
Well, despite the fact that Type-Moon and Aniplex stand a vigilant watch to prevent people from buying and enjoying Garden of Sinners

Preach it, Mike.

All in all, this series of features have been a Godsend. My anime collection is overwhelmingly composed of TV series rather than movies, and while I doubt a lot of these titles will be getting licenses any time soon, it's nice to know what's out there.

Needs a dub too.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Wait, is Time Etranger and GoShogun: Time Etranger on the list twice? Thought I remembered us talking about it on the last list column.

I can't believe that Dirty Pair: Project Eden didn't make Paste's list, but if it's because they weren't around in the early days to have heard of it, that's their fault.

And Mamoru Oshii claimed he made Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer because he hated working on Only You, and to give him the benefit of the doubt, it's possible to see why:
He claimed it felt like a cold, commercial parade of the first-season character lineup, and it does; first-season Lum is still a little too clingy, but she's already developing her "nice" qualities where we sympathize with her pursuit, and the characters are less shrill and symbolic than they were in the first-season manga-based episodes, and settling into their lovably eccentric niches we know from the longrun show. The wacky slapstick starts getting a little more polished and screwy-in-a-good-way in the style of the later series, and it's purely heart-sentimental without the attempts at "eerie" that Movies #3 & 4 after Dreamer felt they had to try and shoot for.
No Dreamer, but like "Remember My Love", still watchable for TV fans. Anime smile
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
When I saw Fatal Fury make it onto the list, I knew Street Fighter had to make it on here. It's the movie that got me into anime, and to this day, Ryu vs Fei Long remains one of my favourite fights ever, among others. It also still looks great as well. The SF 20th anniversary book shows the extensive reference material Kinu Nishimura (former Capcom artist, now freelance) provided for the the team behind the movie and they really laboured over the characters, especially Chun-Li. One of the notes for Chun-Li was "She should be more elegant and classic, enough to make someone say 'what is this masterpiece theatre?' We shouldn't feel too embarrassed to show our moms" LOL.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The perplexing difficulty involved in seeing these movies (remember, Aniplex have to guard these movies carefully! Someone might see them!!) kept me off their trail, but the act of compiling this list spurred me to see them. I'm glad I did.

Am I misunderstanding something, or does Mike Toole really not know that he/anyone could easily purchase the Garden of Sinners series either as an import from Right Stuf or directly from Amazon Japan? It may be pricey (far cheaper on Amazon JP), but it's still very much in stock in both places as of this posting, complete with English subs. It'd be cool if this was dubbed someday, but until when/if that happens, this truly is an exceptional title I feel great to have in my library.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Am I misunderstanding something, or does Mike Toole really not know that he/anyone could easily purchase the Garden of Sinners series either as an import from Right Stuf or directly from Amazon Japan?

The pricing represents a massive barrier to entry for many anime fans who would normally eat up stuff like Garden of Sinners. There's nothing easy about dropping 320-400 dollars for less than 9 combined hours of film.

It's a formidable leap of faith for those who haven't seen the series before, especially considering that they'd have to buy it all in one go. They can't just buy the first film in the series and see whether they like it enough to pick up the rest. Aniplex could easily solve this issue - and bring in a bunch of action anime fans who have just finished watching Fate/Zero - by putting the first couple of films on Netflix. I'm sure there's some sort of licensing snafu preventing them from doing so, but it seems like such a wasted opportunity.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
What an Easter treat this article was! A good chunk of the inclusions fall under the broad class of films I should get around to watching, present contingencies notwithstanding. Time Stranger, Dirty Pair: Project Eden, Arcadia of My Youth and so on are the most notable of these, given their moderate popularity around these circles.

Works such as Ocean Waves and Patlabor WXIII need their spokespeople. By being associated with more renowned directors but declining to mimic their traits, they face a certain constraint on the praise they enjoy: "enjoyable, but not quite up to such-and-such's standard", or words to a similar effect. This is a most undeserved restriction, I say. The latter film drew unexpected catharsis from a sci-fi cliché in a way that only a fanciful mecha anime really could, whereas the former, while certainly drier in content, came as a refreshing change to the standard subjects and themes with which one associates its studio of origin.

For all the praise I award a certain Rintaro work in particular, I am quite clueless as to the merits of his broader catalogue. As such I forgot that Yona Yona Penguin exists. Indeed, this may be the first time it has been subject to any criticism on ANN in this decade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
#48: Alakazam in that screencap looks like an early version of Lion-O from Thundercats.

#45: I love Yasuhiro Yoshiura's work. Patema is a good movie, but Pale Cocoon is probably my favorite thing in his catalog, still one of my favorite anime short films ever.

#34: Yes, yes, yes! I adored the Girls und Panzer movie, even if it was a total popcorn flick, because it was just such an absolute blast to watch. I don't know when I've ever had so much plain old-fashioned fun watching an anime film as I did with that one. Very happy to see it on the list.

#31: Hyouka was what actually put me onto They Were Eleven, with Ibara cosplaying one of the characters during the Festival arc. Glad it did, because it turned out to be a terrific movie.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
The pricing represents a massive barrier to entry for many anime fans who would normally eat up stuff like Garden of Sinners. There's nothing easy about dropping 320-400 dollars for less than 9 combined hours of film.

That's exactly why I don't own it. I liked Garden of Sinners, but not enough to justify the price they're charging to own it when you're talking about basically around $50 per film, especially when 5 of the 7 films are less than an hour long.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Good to see that as we get closer to the top of the list, the easier it is to track down these movies, although it looks like The Eleven Cats could be a tough one.

By the way, Patlabor WXIII was directed by the underrated Fumihiko Takayama, not Takuji Endo, who was just the animation director.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
"Everybody loves Beautiful Dreamers"

Ha, except me because I freaking HATED it. Razz

Really, it was the most boring, nonsensical animated thing I've ever watched. Ugh.

(also, Mike, if Air the Motion Picture doesn't make it into the 100, you are DEAD to me, sir. Laughing )
chronos02

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, now I have some new movies to watch, damn you and your lists! Now my backlog increased yet again!!!

By the way, what's with everyone calling Kara no Kyoukai with its subtitle "The Garden of Sinners"? It should be "The Boundary of Emptyness - The Garden of Sinners" or "The Boundary of Emptyness" for short. The same thing happens with each movie title:

Fukan Fuukei - Thanatos. > Overlooking View - Thanatos.
Satsujin Kousatsu - ...and nothing heart. > Murder Speculation - ...and nothing heart.
Tsuukaku Zanryuu - ever cry, never life. > Remaining Sense of Pain - ever cry, never life.
Garan no Dou - garan-no-dou. > Hollow Shrine - garan-no-dou.
Mujin Rasen - Paradox Paradigm. > Paradox Spiral - Paradox Paradigm.
Boukyaku Rokuon - Fairy Tale. > Oblivion Recording - Fairy Tale.
Satsujin Kousatsu (kou) - ......not nothing heart. > Murder Speculation (Conclusion) - ......not nothing heart.

And yet, I see people naming some with the title, and others with the subtitle, it's strange.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
Well, now I have some new movies to watch, damn you and your lists! Now my backlog increased yet again!!!

By the way, what's with everyone calling Kara no Kyoukai with its subtitle "The Garden of Sinners"? It should be "The Boundary of Emptyness - The Garden of Sinners" or "The Boundary of Emptyness" for short.

Because we are simply too lazy. Laughing

Coincidentally, I am watching it now.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
My thoughts on this batch! I feel like I've overall seen more of these than the past lists. I do enjoy anime movies.

Patema Inverted-I definitely enjoyed this movie a lot, it had a fun and interesting world and the two leads were both good. It’s not really breaking a lot of new ground on story telling or anything, but sometimes, you just need something simple done competently to make a good film

Toward the Terra-I still think the 2007 TV series is the best version of this movie to date, but the movie is still good. The movie kind of feels like a cliff notes version, but it can be had for so cheap that I still recommend it. Just not over the 2007 series or the manga.

Black Jack-I’m still working my way through those OVAs CPM released ages ago, I recall the movie being good too, but I don’t honestly remember it too much, which is strange since I did see it in the past few years. I do remember it being solid Black Jack though!

Patlabor-While I like the series in general, I found that all three of the movies didn’t do a whole lot for me. I think the first one was ok, felt more like an extra long episode, the second one put me to sleep, and WXIII was decent from what I recall, but it used “Patblabor” more in name.

They Were Eleven-I definitely genuinely love this movie! I thought the reason for the extra member was obvious, but whom it was wasn’t immediately obvious (but it was on a second viewing). But it’s a good scifi flick with good pacing and an exciting reason to watch (to see if the ship will explode into space disease, or if they’ll survive after all). But c’mon, “Frol Bericheri”? I love it when Japan tries to make “English” names (and we end up with things like Straight Cougar, or Leopard Solid)

Sea Prince and the Fire Child-first off, this is one of the few anime with Dragon Quest composer Koichi Sugiyama on it, and boy does it sound so DQ and that makes me very happy! It’s Romeo and Juliet with fire and water, but I still really enjoyed this one (Koichi Sugiyama is very important to that though, after DQ got big, he basically only does DQ music now)

Dirty Pair: Project Eden-I’m really so so on this one. I mean, it’s competent movie, but I feel like Dirty Pair is meant to be more silly than serious and adding a touch of seriousness (and a guy) didn’t really do much for me. I want things like seeing them spend an entire episode trying not to get a planet blow up, only to hit the detonator themselves on the way out by accident! So the intro to the movie here was what I liked best about the movie.

Things I plan to watch: Crusher Joe (if only because Dirty Pair shows up in it! and Giant Gorg is good stuff too)
chronos02

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Because we are simply too lazy. Laughing

Coincidentally, I am watching it now.

I call that false lazyness! If you were trully lazy you'd call it KNK!

And by the way, Kara no Kyoukai is available for rental in the Australian PSN, I haven't checked if all 7 movies, the extra OVA and the recalled out summer movie are available, but the movie I found was available for rental for 2,99 on SD, 3,99 on HD for 48 hours.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4