• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Alice & Zoroku

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:50 am Reply with quote
So far, this is the show I'm most looking forward to from week to week, which is a a real accomplishment considering how many big name titles are airing this season.

I never really enjoyed Elfen Lied or Brynhildr in the Darkness, despite initially liking the premise of both shows. This time around, Alice's creators have changed just enough to make me excited about another "gender-flipped Pretender" storyline.
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
Been loving this show. Great characters, a good mixture of action, comedy, and drama, and the overall animation has a soothing feel to it.

Although am I the only one who's thrown off by the Carl's Jr. tie-ins? (spoiler[Carl's Jr.: Feeding widowed wives since 1963.])
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
So far, this is the show I'm most looking forward to from week to week, which is a a real accomplishment considering how many big name titles are airing this season.

I never really enjoyed Elfen Lied or Brynhildr in the Darkness, despite initially liking the premise of both shows. This time around, Alice's creators have changed just enough to make me excited about another "gender-flipped Pretender" storyline.

Minnie C's hair may not be pink but she does have pink hair accessory-and she is coming across as a psychopathic killer lol.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:11 am Reply with quote
Also following this series.. however the CGI which was very prevalent in the first episode appeared horribly dated.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
What really stood out in episode 1 was when the car stopped moving halfway through the chase scene the camera switched to inside the car and the background was still moving.

Despite the shortcomings this is for now my most anticipated show of the week so far as well. Can't wait to see more.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:15 am Reply with quote
I dunno, "unpredictability" seems like a plus to me. I'm not yet convinced that this series has that trait though.

What surprised me most about the Carl's Jr. product placement was that the tag line was not only in English but was the same as in the US. oO

My first impression was that she brought the pigs from somewhere, so I wondered why she didn't just send them back. Given where they went on their world tour, it's probably a good thing she went with them. Smile I wonder though if the spotted pig was brought in from somewhere and the rest were created from its template or something.

Does anyone get why her husband called her Minnie C.? If there's a joke, reference or pun there, it's going over my head. She reminds me of Kanako Ohno from Genshiken, but with short hair. And kinda evil.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:30 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Does anyone get why her husband called her Minnie C.? If there's a joke, reference or pun there, it's going over my head.

Her real name is "Miriam C. Tachibana", and she presumably introduced herself to her husband using her full name with middle initial. (I've known several veterans who regularly referred to themselves in such a manner, so I'm assuming it's an armed services thing?) The "Minnie" part is her husband's pet name for her, probably related to her stature - just look at how tiny she is compared to him in the flashbacks!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:43 am Reply with quote
Where did they say her name was Miriam?

I'm also wondering why they're translating trump as card. I hate it when I can clearly hear (and read) an English word and they translate it as something else. Smile I know sometimes there's a good reason for that, but in this case I don't know what it is.

I did appreciate the observation that smiling all the time is the same as never smiling.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:00 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I'm also wondering why they're translating trump as card. I hate it when I can clearly hear (and read) an English word and they translate it as something else. Smile I know sometimes there's a good reason for that, but in this case I don't know what it is.

I did appreciate the observation that smiling all the time is the same as never smiling.

Your question about a certain translation choice, could lead into other waters,if you think about it.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:19 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

It was in the PV materials:
animenewsnetwork.com/anime-spotlight/2017/spring/alice-and-zoroku/.114268
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Saw the first EP of this series last night and I agree with the reviewer. Fairly typical magical girl stuff. But it is very well done in most respects plotting, pacing, animation, characterization to make it interesting and as the reviewer said, the relationship between the kawaii magical girl and crusty old Zouroku is very well done and interesting something like Usagi Drop. Am not particularly drawn to magical girl but have no objection to it either if done well. Princess Tutu comes to mind. So I will stay with this one and see how it develops.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Your question about a certain translation choice, could lead into other waters,if you think about it.

What waters? Are you saying the production committee or CR's translation staff thinks we're too stupid to know the difference between "trump" as in playing cards and "Trump" as in the current occupant of the Oval Office?
Nimitz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

The Japanese word for western-style playing cards is トラ​ンプ toranpu (taken from the English trump) so card is a reasonable translation.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Then how do they differentiate trump cards in games that have them, or designate trump suits (e.g., hearts are trump this round)?
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:35 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

What waters? Are you saying the production committee or CR's translation staff thinks we're too stupid to know the difference between "trump" as in playing cards and "Trump" as in the current occupant of the Oval Office?

I'll stick to the far more plausible explanation provided by-
Quote:
NimitzThe Japanese word for western-style playing cards is トラ​ンプ toranpu (taken from the English trump) so card is a reasonable translation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3