• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Oreimo Made Little Sisters a Big Deal

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
“If I had to write a new little sister-themed story right this minute, I'd like to try my hand at a new setting,” he says. “I might make the characters go to another world and have adventures there. It'd be one of those isekai stories.”

Oh boy that sure sounds like a good premise.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:20 am Reply with quote
The full title of Oreimo is "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute! and How a Stupid Tokyo Law made the ending so confusing"

Quote:
Unlike Oreimo's Kirino, Sagiri of Eromanga Sensei matches the otaku's image of the ideal little sister: a quiet, doe-eyed girl who exudes moe appeal.

Trust me, tsundere little sisters are a big thing in otaku world.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
The articles's blurb makes it seems as if Eromanga Sensei is the culmination of all this fetish incest anime. I have been following the anime industry closely for the last five years, and several of these shows have been made. This article is something that should have written in 2013 or 2014, when the little sister incest element was more prevalent.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
The articles's blurb makes it seems as if Eromanga Sensei is the culmination of all this fetish incest anime. I have been following the anime industry closely for the last five years, and several of these shows have been made. This article is something should have written in 2013 or 2014, when the little sister incest element was more prevalent.

And Koi Kaze is a serious drama. It does not belong in the fetish incest category.

The reason this article is being written now is because Eromanga-sensei is airing now, and as such is a relevant topic of discussion. In fact, due to the fact that it's been several years since this type of anime was popular, and therefore it's been raising a few eyebrows, I'd argue this article is especially relevant now.

Regarding Koi Kaze, nothing about the article claimed it fell into the incest fetish category, merely that it illustrates the history of this trend. As such, its inclusion in the article is definitely warranted.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
I feel weird since I don't like incest at all, but I like this guy's work. Probably because if you took the incest out, or made the siblings love completely platonic, the other aspects of the story explore otaku culture very well with human, relatable characters. If you ask me, the worst thing about his works is that too many people avoid them on principle alone. Damn shame.

But with regards to what one of you said. Is it true that the studio meddled with the ending somehow? Is the controversy of incest the reason that the last 3 or 4 episodes were ONAs instead of being aired normally?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
And Koi Kaze is a serious drama. It does not belong in the fetish incest category.
Regarding Koi Kaze, nothing about the article claimed it fell into the incest fetish category, merely that it illustrates the history of this trend. As such, its inclusion in the article is definitely warranted.

I know, and I edited my post when I realized that the article was mentioning Koi Kaze as an example of a serious, dramatized, not fetishized, incest story.

louis6578 wrote:
I feel weird since I don't like incest at all, but I like this guy's work. Probably because if you took the incest out, or made the siblings love completely platonic, the other aspects of the story explore otaku culture very well with human, relatable characters. If you ask me, the worst thing about his works is that too many people avoid them on principle alone.

I am fine with taboo elements in anime and media, but they have to be well written and not just fetishized. I still consider Oreimo a well written show, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in incest stories, slice of life and otaku themed anime. My big issue with the Oreimo anime is the backtracking ending.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Wed May 10, 2017 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Sahmbahdeh wrote:

I know, and I edited my post when I realized that the article was mentioning Koi Kaze as an example of a serious, dramatized, not fetishized, incest story.

^

Why I look over the ANN articles four times before typing anything in the forums. Someone WILL notice your mistake. Anime hyper
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:48 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

But with regards to what one of you said. Is it true that the studio meddled with the ending somehow? Is the controversy of incest the reason that the last 3 or 4 episodes were ONAs instead of being aired normally?

Looks like the ending is supposed to bespoiler[ more like in the LN were they kissed in the mouth and is implicit they are still together.]

About the reason of ONA, the anime staff knew ahead of time that they wouldn't be able to adapt all the way to the last volume and fit it into the TV airing, so that's why they chose the ONA release for the last few episodes

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Wed May 10, 2017 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

Looks like the ending is supposed to bespoiler[ more like in the LN were they kissed in the mouth and is implicit they are still together and that was the way the author wanted also in the anime]

Huh. I guess that's better than them playing pretend and destroying Kuroneko, Ayase, and everyone else's hearts for no reason. But... not by much.

My problem isn't with the incest, honestly. It's weird, but it's not a dealbreaker for me. I just wish Kirino was more tolerable. Like... if Kirino and Kuroneko switched personalities, I'd be all aboard on the incest train. Anime hyper
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Looks like the ending is supposed to bespoiler[ more like in the LN were they kissed in the mouth and is implicit they are still together.]

In the anime's ending spoiler[they also kiss in the mouth, but they decide to end their short lived romance and return to being normal siblings].
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:

In the anime's ending spoiler[they also kiss in the mouth, but they decide to end their short lived romance and return to being normal siblings].

Kyousuke’s and Kirino’s anime ending scene was supposed spoiler[to be based on the Oreimo PSP game and in the LN ending. Based on the author, the real ending of Kirino and Kyousuke should have ended with a kiss on the lips and she telling him they would have "life consultation" when they get home, but instead Kyousuke kissed Kirino on the cheek at the end of episode 16]
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
It was nice to hear about how Fushimi got into writing little sister LNs. After one of the recent episodes of Eromanga sensei, I couldn't shake the feeling it was autobiographical and it was actually the story of his romance with his step sister and how he turned it into a salable story (either Oreimo or Eromanga or both). But if his editor got him into it and he has stuck with it because he is most known for the genre, than that doesn't seem like the case and I don't have to worry he married his sister, if he even has one.

Oreimo was definitely the show that got me interested in the genre, though when I first saw the title, I - like many others presumably - went "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute? Gross". I heard good things about it after that and got into it in time for the second season, and I've seen most of the genre's anime adaptations. I guess I've made my peace with the ending of Oreimo, though I don't find it any more agreeable, and that certainly stifled the genre in anime at least for a few years but with Eromanga and another show in the genre coming next fall, it may be back, albeit with less enthusiasm from most Western fans at least.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Not watching Eromanga Sensei nice to see Koi Kaze get a mention but OreImo as a series is dead to me. I loved the first season but dropped season two after five episodes because it was so insufferably boring but that Saki episode was nice though.

The ending which I found out about though retroactively ruined the entire series for me. I'm better than I was when this series is used to be a topic of discussion I'll just leave it at that.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I was actually referring to spoiler[the kiss at the church, which is mouth to mouth].

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Wed May 10, 2017 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
You know what? I actually enjoyed Oreimo. All of it. Even that part.

Sure the full on incest at the end is a bit of a weird departure considering you could watch the whole of Season 1 and safely assume that their relationship is platonic. Plus I'm absolutely disappointed that the parodies of otaku culture were never quite as biting in Season 2. But in terms of execution I actually didn't mind too much how they tackled the topic of incest.

However, Eromanga-sensei is in a COMPLETELY different ballpark. It basically just came bursting out of the starting gates screaming 'I AM TRASH' without even the slightest hint of shame. The characters and their situation are fake and impossible to relate to, the incest is proper fetishy, the fanservice is ramped up, the character designs all make use of that really weird kind of gradient shading that's become all too common in modern anime, the works. It's pure unaplogetic trash.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6