• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Canadian G4 Channel Stops Broadcast in September

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Rob49152 wrote:
When it first started I watched that channel all the time. From The Screen Savers, to X-Play, Leos Lab and all the other related shows. It was great! Enjoyed it so much. I would be doing other things around the house but would listen to whatever was on.

That's TechTV you're thinking of. G4 was a separate network owned by Comcast that focused on video games. Comcast bought TechTV and merged it with G4, but the main TechTV hosts (Leo, Patrick Norton, Sarah Lane, Kevin Rose) jumped ship and moved into podcasting when it became apparent that Comcast wanted to dumb-down and sex-up the programming.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
We go live to Mount Midoriyama, Japan!!!...mount green mountain?

I actually miss Code Monkeys...please forgive me for saying that.
why ask for forgiveness? Code Monkeys was pretty funny
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
G4 Canada didn't run Anime Unleashed. We had a separate block called Anime Current that ran Geneon stuff. When Geneon died, the block followed shortly after. The Canadian channel would never air anime again, though they eventually grabbed a bunch of Adult Swim comedies before getting slapped by the CRTC for airing non-tech related content and losing those shows to Corus. Laughing
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
If I correctly recall, the seemingly-endless marathon of Cops and Cheaters was the final nail in the coffin for American G4...

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
animefan1238

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
If I correctly recall, the seemingly-endless marathon of Cops and Cheaters was the final nail in the coffin for American G4...

I recall the Cops, but honestly what better way to kill a crappy winter or disgustingly humid summer evening?

I miss thw good G4 station. Their programing was great and if I recall correctly they also did some coverage of E3 and Comic-Con. I almost pooed myself when I saw it still existed.
se37

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I remember G4 very well. I watched it during the early days before TechTV merge, when they had Portal, Arena, G4TV.com, and Icons. I also remember TechTV (in fact, ZDTV in the late 90s thanks to Satellite TV) with the Screensavers and Robot Wars back in the days too. I remember when it merged and I stopped watching it all the time (I use to have G4 playing in the background in my room most of the time). I also remember being able to see Anime Unleashed and saw Last Exile and Cromartie High School. In fact, I remember how the merger didn't really make sense to me at the time and they dropped the TechTV part of it pretty early on after the merger. Kinda knew when that happened the channel wouldn't last much longer. Never cared for X-Play, I liked Judgement Day more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:20 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Usagi-kun wrote:
We go live to Mount Midoriyama, Japan!!!...mount green mountain?

I actually miss Code Monkeys...please forgive me for saying that.
why ask for forgiveness? Code Monkeys was pretty funny

...yeah, it really was awesome, wasn't it? Anime hyper
"Now let's try a little word association, and keep in mind, there are no wrong answers. Sword, chalice, barefoot witch!"

That was only the first episode, but I was hooked because of that character. I think Todd was meta in his own, really weird way. And it was worth noting, even in his fantasies (Tiffany), he still couldn't get ahead. And also as an easter egg later in the series: in his doll closet, you can see a doll for each of the other characters in the show!

I wish season 2 had been released on dvd.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:21 am Reply with quote
Oh G4, how we hardly knew ye...Oh wait, Canada broadcast? Heh, felt not too long ago how the US broadcast went and go, lol.

But yeah, was also another person who used to watch G4/TechTV back in the day when they were in their prime. And stop watching when they went full Spike, lol. Except for the good stuff they had left, lol.

And...that was that, lol.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:57 am Reply with quote
The way a cable channel can die is if ceases operation and there are no companies that rename it.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
I caught a glimpse of Anime Current back in the day, but never really cared too much since we had Bionix on YTV. How did Anime die on G4 Canada? Did they simply cancel it after Geneon went under?
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
I caught a glimpse of Anime Current back in the day, but never really cared too much since we had Bionix on YTV. How did Anime die on G4 Canada? Did they simply cancel it after Geneon went under?

Yes. Geneon was their sole partner on Anime Current. Rogers never worked with Sony to grab the Marvel Anime/other late G4 anime either.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Rob49152 wrote:

It's good that the plug is officially being pulled. They screwed up the potential of what it could have been so badly that it should be taught in schools to future business people about supply and demand. And not listening to what people actually want.

If they did what people wanted them to do the network wouldn't have turn into a syndication dumping ground.

se37 wrote:
Never cared for X-Play, I liked Judgement Day more.

Ah Judgement Day I'll never forget Tommy Tallarico giving Ninja Gaiden reboot a 7.5 and giving I Ninja a higher score for reasons that don't make sense.

Usagi-kun wrote:

I actually miss Code Monkeys...please forgive me for saying that

What's to forgive the haters can go eat a double deuce brownie.
se37

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:30 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

se37 wrote:
Never cared for X-Play, I liked Judgement Day more.

Ah Judgement Day I'll never forget Tommy Tallarico giving Ninja Gaiden reboot a 7.5 and giving I Ninja a higher score for reasons that don't make sense.

I trusted Victor Luca more than Tommry Tallarico with review scores. I remember Tommy Tallarico gave a Kirby game a low score just because he hated Kirby while Victor Luca gave a more honest score. The reason I didn't like X-Play was their skits, it was more trying to pull a laugh (and to me, failing) than trying to review it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
se37 wrote:

I trusted Victor Luca more than Tommry Tallarico with review scores. I remember Tommy Tallarico gave a Kirby game a low score just because he hated Kirby while Victor Luca gave a more honest score. The reason I didn't like X-Play was their skits, it was more trying to pull a laugh (and to me, failing) than trying to review it.

I didn't care too much for the skits myself probably the only good one they had was the one revolving around video game music and the one about the X-Play RPG.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2