• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Classroom of the Elite (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote

Season 01: Classroom of the Elite (TV)
Season 02: Classroom of the Elite II (TV2)
Season 03: Classroom of the Elite (TV3)

Source: Light Novel (completed @ 11 volumes, written by Shōgo Kinugasa, illustrated by Shunsaku Tomose)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Lerche

Genres: drama, psychological, thriller

Themes: school

Plot Summary: Kōdo Ikusei Senior High School is a leading prestigious school with state-of-the-art facilities where nearly 100% of students go on to university or find employment. The students there have the freedom to wear any hairstyle and bring any personal effects they desire.

Kōdo Ikusei is a paradise-like school, but the truth is that only the most superior of students receive favorable treatment. Kiyotaka Ayanokōji is a student of D-class, which is where the school dumps its "inferior" students in order to ridicule them.

For a certain reason, Kiyotaka was careless on his entrance examination, and was put in D-class. After meeting Suzune Horikita and Kikyō Kushida, two other students in his class, Kiyotaka's situation begins to change.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: July 12, 2017 (Wednesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 02: July 4, 2022 (Monday)

Season 03: January 3, 2024 (Wednesay)

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 12 episodes
Season 02: 13 episodes
Season 03: Pending

Total: 25 episodes
----------------------------------

Episode 1:

Suzune Horikita reminds me of Yukino from OreGairu somewhat.

Visually, I am impressed by the quality of the setting and characters. However, it doesn't seem this show escapes from some of the generic tropes you'll find in similar school settings. Still, I think it's better than what I had expected mainly for its themes so far.

I'm curious to see how they plan to focus on their school system.

Ayanokoji Kiyotaka is a character that I also hope they plan on developing as the story progresses. There seems to be a lot of characters in this show so I do exect some to get less spotlight compared to others.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:19 am Reply with quote
My response to the first episode is to call the majority of the kids idiots that they might be surprised by the predicament they ended up in, that they were given no guarantee what they would be given the next month, and what it would be based off. As the sort of person that tended to fit into the being rather studious while everyone mucked around, I think that I can feel the sort of anger that those like the main characters should have to the classmates that dicked around. The unfair bit being that they are being measured by class, but I guess by student would be pretty hard to measure.

There is this sort of SNAFU thing with the main duo, which is kind of making it appealing so far, even if I am someone who stands by a strong message of that attitude in that show. I do like how he was pretty honest about his part in a plan against her.
Noctis313

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:49 am Reply with quote
what a grateful surprise
enjoyable animation/music and a very interesting story. It has a feeling of communism, since they are controlled and watched and their outcome is a product of their entire class
Noctis313

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:53 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The unfair bit being that they are being measured by class, but I guess by student would be pretty hard to measure.

No, i think thats the point of the experiment. Exposing everyone as a whole will force students out of the confort zone to try dealing with the problematic ones.
And the fact that they accepted some thugs instead of regular students may reinforce this
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
The cliché for the scenario is usually the Battle Royale set up, but I guess the class learning the harsh lesson of "you get NOTHING, good day!" works out too.

This won't be the first time we have scene a class room full of losers or anime tropes, but it is a little heavy handed with openly citing Nietzsche and basically putting it on the board what the show theme is intending to be.

The lesson about blood lines being important was likely not a throwaway line, this is likely a contribution to Suzune being in class D either as punishment or an indirect means to prove herself, the end game being she endures the experience (likely not going to happen), she learns and conquers the class in one form or another, or it destroys her either metaphorically or literally.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I dug it. I don't trust big boobed, "I just want to be friends with everyone!" girl. I feel that she plans to use her boobs and innocent act for evil.

I'm usually not a fan of the "eh, I don't care about anything and I'm super low energy" MC but there is something about this guy that sets him a bit apart from the usual breed. I think it might be that he is actually making a bit of an effort (i.e. letting Big Boobs talk him into the cafe set-up scheme).

I like Stern, Big Boobs Teacher. Yeah, I'm liking this so far.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this show was a surprise. I went into it not knowing what to expect, and it turned out to be surprisingly endearing.

Best moment for me so far was when spoiler[Kiyotaka rescues Suzune from her brother. I didn't expect that he'd show that much backbone, and moreover the fact that he demonstrated some serious defensive moves made it a big bonus. And the best part was that his obvious martial arts abilities didn't entirely come out of the blue; it was foreshadowed earlier when Suzune noticed that he was actually rather muscular. Also, the "I didn't say anything" moment right after was rather cute; yeah, those two are going to end up together, and they'll be fighting it the entire way.]

I think this class is going to start banding together like the classes in Baka-no Test and Assassination Classroom did, although probably with more grim determination than humor. The system is decidedly stacked against them, and it sounds like its only going to get worse from here on.
Noctis313

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I dug it. I don't trust big boobed, "I just want to be friends with everyone!" girl. I feel that she plans to use her boobs and innocent act for evil.

I'm usually not a fan of the "eh, I don't care about anything and I'm super low energy" MC but there is something about this guy that sets him a bit apart from the usual breed. I think it might be that he is actually making a bit of an effort (i.e. letting Big Boobs talk him into the cafe set-up scheme).

I like Stern, Big Boobs Teacher. Yeah, I'm liking this so far.

nice catch on the big boob girl
i didn't like episode 2, show was growing for a slice of life theme.. but episode 3 went back for the "survival against the system/strategic theme"
this episode was based on adam smith quote so it was based around voluntary trades (buying old tests and score points). Judging by the next episode quote, it will prolly focus around big boobs girl
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
Ah, episode 3 showed Kushida's true colors.

I never trusted that girl since her first apparance. Turns out, she's not the perfect angel she appears to be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I think the first three episodes have shown pretty conclusively that Ayanokoji is far better at manipulating people than Kushida is. While she did reveal a side of herself that Ayanokoji didn't expect, that also means he now has a much better idea what sort of a person she is. And he's smart enough to know how to use that to his advantage. Kushida shouldn't have worried about whether he'd tell anyone about what he saw; rather, she should be worried about how he'll adjust whatever plans he has now that he knows. Oh, and she's probably lost whatever chance she may have had with him now, not that that will stop her from interfering with what appears to be the inevitable Ayanokoji/Horikita 'ship.

As for why Ayanokoji didn't take his hand away when Kushida forced his "incriminating" fingerprints on her clothes (when he's already been shown to have impressive reflexes), I'm guessing his assessment of the situation was something on the order of "Huh. Free boob grab."

Last edited by DeTroyes on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Assuming she didn't leave the phone behind on purpose, that is
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Assuming she didn't leave the phone behind on purpose, that is

True. But if that's the case I think Ayanokoji is smart enough to recognize the possibility he was set up. Either way, she's played a card she might have better kept hidden.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:03 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I can't really claim any great credit for seeing through Big Boobs. Her behaviour was patently fake. Her willingess to use subterfuge to become "friends" with Horikita was an early tip off that those succulent melons covered a treacherous heart. Or something.

I continue to enjoy this title.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Really looks like this show is going for a lot of people wearing masks, putting on fake appearances of who they actually are. Like even the girl from class B who seemed perfectly nice even wanting to help class D because she felt like it, seems awfully suspicious by having a huge amount of points, that she likely not as nice as she mostly appears. Although doing it because she wanted to be nice might not be the truth, class C is getting close to B in terms of points. I still do not understand why class D had so little points after dominating the tests so much. Is the system purposely pushing the students they chose for the lowest class down? There does seem to be more corruption that is slipping through, to the point that maybe it is rewarding for using corruption to push those underneath down and hide their corruption, thus there would be little they could do as the lowest class.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I still do not understand why class D had so little points after dominating the tests so much. Is the system purposely pushing the students they chose for the lowest class down?

I believe the test scores posted in the previous episode were the scores of only Class D. I would also not be surprised if each class had different tests since their academic levels might vary. Though, that actually might not be the case since even high scoring students have been placed in class D from what I've understood -- so there are different factors (social skills, athletics, etc.) that may have led to their placements in said classes. Or the simpler answer could be that other classes scored way better or behaved better which fits in with Sudo's whole delinquent-esque nature.

If the school's purpose is to bring individuals who'll succeed in the "real world," it makes the whole ability to buy test grade points seem pretty logical to me. The real world isn't so righteous and clear and there's always shady business to get things going (i.e. lobbying and such). After all, being a pure hearted person doesn't really get you far in life -- you need to step on others to climb to the top.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2