• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Everything You Need to Know About Yakuza

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I also remember Kiryu being part of the survey for new DLC characters for Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. This was when the series was still pretty niche (well, it still is, but it's no longer a C-tier franchise for SEGA in the west), so I wonder if he could've ranked higher than 14th or 15th if the survey was done now...and if SASRT remained relevant.

These all sound like quality efforts made by a skilled development team, and yet SEGA would get treated as a company full of incompetents solely because of Sonic. (And all the eccentric sidequests and mini-games makes Kiryu look like a tough guy with a lot of geeky hobbies, which I guess he is.)

In any case, the title is a bit misleading. Since "Yakuza" was not italicized, I thought this article was going to talk about the ACTUAL Yakuza until I looked at the screenshot.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
The series has kinda evolved into what Shenmue would have been had the focus been on gameplay.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Kiryu and Majima also appeared in Project X Zone 2. They're one of the strongest units since they're all about brute force and each of their attack sets is ranked B or higher (though to balance that, they have no special tricks like status ailments or stat boosts; they're just good at breaking enemy guards and busting skulls, which is fitting given it's these two we're talking about). XD
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Everything You Need to Know About Yakuza: Play those games! Start with Yakuza 0.

It's simply the best game I played this decade. Especially if you care about a good and well-told story and are tired of the anime stereotypes in many other JRPG franchises.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
This was when the series was still pretty niche (well, it still is, but it's no longer a C-tier franchise for SEGA in the west),

Still not high enough on the tier for simultaneous releases or getting all the games on the same platforms.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

These all sound like quality efforts made by a skilled development team, and yet SEGA would get treated as a company full of incompetents solely because of Sonic. (And all the eccentric sidequests and mini-games makes Kiryu look like a tough guy with a lot of geeky hobbies, which I guess he is.)

Gameplay Story Segregation.

Blackiris_ wrote:
Especially if you care about a good and well-told story

Minus some ass-pulls, red herrings, convenient plot twists, forgone conclusions, and silliness.

Blackiris_ wrote:
and are tired of the anime stereotypes in many other JRPG franchises.

Which is strange since the games uses anime stereotypes.

Like overcoming things with guts and determination which is pretty much Kiryu's bread and butter character trait. And then there's Majima's "only I'm allowed to defeat you" rival gimmick.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
Huh? Rivals? Kiryu and Majima don't even meet in Yakuza 0.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:

They meet in the stinger following the end credits.....with Majima somehow knowing what Kiryu looks like in spite of having never met him before (and despite the game hinting towards the middle of the story at the two being drawn into a confrontation with each other).
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Blackiris_ wrote:

They meet in the stinger following the end credits.....with Majima somehow knowing what Kiryu looks like in spite of having never met him before (and despite the game hinting towards the middle of the story at the two being drawn into a confrontation with each other).

Well, there's obviously a time skip between the finale and the ending. There are plenty of ways Majime could have learned about Kiryu's appearance in the passing years, including seeing him in person (without confronting him). This scene is there to connect the Yakuza 0 with Kiwami.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:

Well, there's obviously a time skip between the finale and the ending. There are plenty of ways Majime could have learned about Kiryu's appearance in the passing years,

spoiler[
It was a 1 Month timeskip in between Kiryu and Majima facing down Shibusawa and Dojima in the finale and both running into one another randomly in Kamorocho.]

Blackiris_ wrote:
including seeing him in person (without confronting him).

If it did we don't get to see it as Kiryu and Majima are too busy taking care of their respective problems in that period of time.

Blackiris_ wrote:
This scene is there to connect the Yakuza 0 with Kiwami.

Yes I know doesn't exactly explain away the laziness of the scene in question though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1