• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Magical Circle Guru-Guru

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
For me, one of the biggest selling points of this show is the relationship between Nike and Kukuri. Two episodes in, and they already have great chemistry with each other. It seems to be heading towards a kind of puppy love with them, and I'm a sucker for sweet, innocent romances, so this is right up my alley.
wiitard119

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
as a person has watched both of the old guru guru series this new one that premiered is really well done as well. Tbh its kinda hard to get used to the new voices but either way this is one of my most favorable anime this season.must watch indeed.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:06 am Reply with quote
The rapid fire really does mean I think a few jokes land quite well. Of the second episode, I think my favourite was how the girls escaped the prison cell, got the second key, and Nike misremembering Kuri's appearance. Also, the old man dancing, which would be akin to a supporting class, but just generally being annoying to a little upsetting.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:12 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Also, the old man dancing, which would be akin to a supporting class, but just generally being annoying to a little upsetting.

Dragon Quest is known for the recurring gadabout / goof off / jester character class (遊び人), which also does randomly just annoying things.

Makes sense that the manga was originally published by Enix, now Square Enix.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm not familiar withe the old anime or the manga, but as a big fan of old-school RPGs and Slayers, i'm enjoying this a lot. And the pixel game sequences are adorable! Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:44 am Reply with quote
I appreciate the picture of episode 3 being the statue, I found that part pretty funny, strangely their problem was not that the statue still said it was in memory of them. A line of jokes funny like them having a banner up in expecting them to die. Also, some random guy forcing them not to just throw away the pot.
wolf10

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
It looks like GuruGuru is pulling an FMA Brotherhood and speeding through the material that has been adapted before. This is probably for the best. It still manages to be a good time on its own.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this was too fast for my taste, especially dislike the montage. If your going to go trough event that fast you might as well drop them or replace them with stuff that will be easier to condense.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:46 am Reply with quote
I don't really have an issue with the pacing. The comedy is the main draw for me rather than the plot and seems to be the focus, and while they can afford to walk and chew gum on this, I'd rather they mostly stick to comedy. I don't know that I would say it about this boss battle in particular, but for comedies, them being emotionally fulfilling isn't the point and might actually be counterproductive. While in, say, a shonen battle anime, it is important to have the boss built up and defeated in a satisfactory manner, for a comedy, sometimes having the boss battle be anti-climatic is more effective comedy. You can certainly combine comedy and taking the plot seriously effectively, as in Gintama, but Guru Guru seems much more about the comedy than the most recent arcs of Gintama, and as such trying to take the plot more seriously just seems counterproductive to one's enjoyment of the show. That doesn't mean the quality of the plot and pacing are immaterial, but it is not the priority for me. One might need to take a different approach as a reviewer and one could make a more methodical version of the story and I'm certainly not against shows taking their time to develop things, but as it stands, I'm not dissatisfied with the brisk pacing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:20 am Reply with quote
I thought that Juju was quite funny when we saw the other part of her personality that she seemed a little scary. A little sad if she won't be continuing on.
JB_Gra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering what happened to the fairies (since Grielle said that Nike and Kukuri were going to visit them soon).
Also, what's with all town mayors giving weird presents? Laughing
First an old pot, and now a disappointing sword, a disappointing doll and weird statue. Wonder if this is a recurring gag.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
In episode 7 I found to great jokes almost side by side, which really made the episode. Nike throwing away the axe throwing enemy's axe rather than fight with it, and Kukuri asking for her clothes, which then had that the fairies brought the old man's clothes. These I think worked great in perfectly capturing these two in their reactions, Nike deflating the tension while really not caring, and Kukuri furious at the fairies. Or really in the episode everyone really disliking the old man, especially the fairies, like the reveal that his "room" was a literal dog house.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:28 am Reply with quote
I found it pretty hilarious how the statue ended up being treated as a depiction of god, and how it led to Juju seeming to have enough of it. As well as Old Man North ending up OP with the ridiculous costume.

It did feel like a lot happened in episode 10.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I had a pretty good time with this week's episode. As each episode of this series comes and goes, I like it more and more. The main characters are continuing to grow on me and the overall feel of the show is quite fun. Looking forward to more.
LaytonPuzzle27

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I have a question. Is this anime following the manga chapters because I hope they studio would adapt all the manga chapters including 12-16.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2