• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Official Twitter Account Announces Plans to Celebrate Ga-Rei-Zero Anniversary in 2018

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treeborn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Ah Ga Rei, one of the very first anime and manga I finished when I first entered the community. Good times, Good times.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, they'll animate the manga, which reminds me I should make more progress on reading that.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it's been 10 years already?

I remember when I older anime fan first came across this series and told me how cool it was. He turned on a younger friend and that was two people that were filling me in on how cool the show was. Then after a few years I finally broke down and bought it. I sat home one weekend and popped it into my VCR/DVD combo player and put the signal on "component" and was like, "HOLY SH**, this show is...(messed up and...) COOL!!! Just think how I would feel if I was able to use HD cables? LOL!!

I'll admit it's a great show and I really enjoyed it. To this day I've never regretted buying it.

I also tossed it in my list of things to buy for the collection. I mean $20 who can beat that while the budget runs out?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
It was a very good show and hopefully we can see more of it.

What I was surprised to learn was that it was directed by Ei Aoki and was only the second show he directed, after Girls Bravo, which is also surprising to me.
jirg1901

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:11 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Hopefully, they'll animate the manga, which reminds me I should make more progress on reading that.

There is a very good reason Ga-Rei Zero was made instead of an adaption to start with. For similar reasons as why Tokyo ESP was one of the worst selling shows of its season. (although it outsold two shows I really liked, go figure)
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:49 am Reply with quote
jirg1901 wrote:

There is a very good reason Ga-Rei Zero was made instead of an adaption to start with. For similar reasons as why Tokyo ESP was one of the worst selling shows of its season. (although it outsold two shows I really liked, go figure)

I have to admit, when I finally got the chance to read Ga-Rei after seeing Ga-Rei Zero, the differing tone really took me off guard.

I still think both are cool for different reasons though.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:58 am Reply with quote
I remember watching the first episode of GR0 a long time ago on Funimation's website and was immediately confused when (I thought) the main characters had been killed off in the first episode and didn't watch the rest of it.

I would end up buying Ga-Rei Zero on a whim years later for the low when my local FYE was closing. I'm glad I did, it was a decent little show with some pretty cool action scenes and the conflict between Yomi and Kagura was good. It made me interested in reading the manga but I never got around to it.

Too bad Tokyo ESP couldn't keep that same energy. Though I did appreciate the cameos.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:46 am Reply with quote
One of these days I'd like to have the spare money to buy a long out of print copy of the Japanese release complete with Gai-Re-Zero The Live concert on blu-ray with songs like Sentimental Cool performed live. Studio version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD0RCfcaols
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote
Although I found some in-between moments a bit boring, I enjoyed watching Ga-Rei-Zero.
I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel of it sometime...
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Ga-Rei: Zero is one of my all-time favorite supernatural action anime of all time, if not one of my favorite anime of all-time period. Seriously, this show is so underrated, it's crazy. I love it to death and I had the good fortune to come into contact with it early on in my anime fandom.

People have mixed opinions about the manga, but there is AT LEAST something that they can pull from that's not made up on the spot, unlike every other nostalgia bait sequel flooding the market.
jirg1901

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Ga-Rei: Zero is one of my all-time favorite supernatural action anime of all time, if not one of my favorite anime of all-time period. Seriously, this show is so underrated, it's crazy. I love it to death and I had the good fortune to come into contact with it early on in my anime fandom.

People have mixed opinions about the manga, but there is AT LEAST something that they can pull from that's not made up on the spot, unlike every other nostalgia bait sequel flooding the market.

I feel like most of the latter part of the manga was made up on the spot for anime fan baiting anyways though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1