• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Metroid: Samus Returns

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I have now attempted to purchase the special edition from three separate retailers, because apparently having pre-orders or plain normal orders available has absolutely no correlation to, y'know, actually having the item in question. Hopefully Amazon can manage that base level of competence.

On the plus side, it's good to hear my persistence will be worth it. Very Happy
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the reviews I've read out there, this is the one review that has finally convinced me to purchase this game. Immediately. Well... after I've gotten some extra money.

Thank you very much for the review.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Stop making me want to buy a 2DS.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see Nintendo hasn't given up on the Metroid franchise and is genuinely committed to examining what made the series so well-liked in the past. I hope they do that to some of the other franchises of theirs that's fallen by the wayside because of a drastic and unwelcome change in gameplay. Intelligent Systems in particular is prone to this, having managed to screw up everything they've had to the point of unprofitability except Fire Emblem. (Paper Mario is moving in the right direction though.)

I also hope Samus Returns sells well enough for this to signal a new age of quality Metroid games.
Seishin Jinrou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quote
What a pretentious, corporatist scumbag to not even mention the far superior AMR2 in your review!
Ambrose7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I'm glad to see Nintendo hasn't given up on the Metroid franchise and is genuinely committed to examining what made the series so well-liked in the past. I hope they do that to some of the other franchises of theirs that's fallen by the wayside because of a drastic and unwelcome change in gameplay. Intelligent Systems in particular is prone to this, having managed to screw up everything they've had to the point of unprofitability except Fire Emblem. (Paper Mario is moving in the right direction though.)

I also hope Samus Returns sells well enough for this to signal a new age of quality Metroid games.

Well they have only worked on Fire Emblem and Paper Mario in recent years. I hope Nintendo revives the Advance Wars series though.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:46 am Reply with quote
Seishin Jinrou wrote:
What a pretentious, corporatist scumbag to not even mention the far superior AMR2 in your review!

IMO it was impressive, but not exactly good though. Wink
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Ambrose7 wrote:
Well they have only worked on Fire Emblem and Paper Mario in recent years. I hope Nintendo revives the Advance Wars series though.

The thing is that they dropped Nintendo Wars after the disastrous release of the DS Advance Wars games and also dropped WarioWare after something similar happened to Game & Wario. In both cases, they completely overhauled the series for the worse. I do hope Nintendo gives these franchises another chance. I was worried they'd do the same with Metroid after Other M, but it seems they've learned their lesson.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:52 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

The thing is that they dropped Nintendo Wars after the disastrous release of the DS Advance Wars games.

Which is a shame given the DS games are comparatively better than the GBA games.....even with Days Of Ruin needlessly darker tone and nerfing mechanics.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
I was worried they'd do the same with Metroid after Other M, but it seems they've learned their lesson.

Which comically enough they accomplished by handing it off to a studio that was in need of redemption themselves.
wolf10

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
Seishin Jinrou wrote:

IMO it was impressive, but not exactly good though. Wink

I'm only a little past the halfway mark, but the boss encounters in Samus Returns already blow AM2R out of the water. Maybe if AM2R hadn't been released in an admittedly unfinished state I might have thought differently.

I think my only issue with Samus Returns so far is that the original 3DS is still the most uncomfortable handheld Nintendo has ever designed. I keep dying to what should be, on paper, fairly simple maneuvers, just because of the amount of strain it puts on my hands to hold the L button down firmly with the base of my index finger while pushing diagonally up on the slide pad with my thumb. In the middle of a running jump. While being chased by death itself. Really missing the auto-locking grapple beam.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
Seishin Jinrou wrote:

I see the word "pretentious" misused practically every single day, and yet, you have somehow managed to misuse it in an extremely unique way. Congratulations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1