• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Delta Film Reveals Title, February 2018 Opening With Concerts

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:40 am Reply with quote
Huh, a compilation film. While I have my disappointments with the TV series, I'm interested enough in seeing a second shot at it.

Also, any excuse to have more Walkure songs is fine by me.
Hobbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:59 am Reply with quote
I think it could still be a retelling, after all the Frontier movies reused some of the TV footage. I really hope it will be the case, because Delta was a huge disapointement for me.
tootbrush

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:27 am Reply with quote
I hope it jettisons the entire 2nd half of Delta and replaces it with something that doesn't feel like it belongs in a different anime.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:16 am Reply with quote
Ah so it's gonna follow in the lines of the Macross F films, thought it might and I'm glad.

I adored the series, not a patch on F sure (but what series is?) but it didn't disappoint at all, the music was stellar, the action was superb and the story had me enamored from the start so looking forward to what will change.

Just make sure the best girl is chose this time.
Hobbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:34 am Reply with quote
Or a least made it so we believe she have a chance !

Because she was totally wasted in the show, both as a pilot and as a love interest.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The film will recompile scenes from the television anime with new scenes to tell a different story, to maximize the storytelling potential of the shorter runtime but larger medium. It will have at least one new song and enhanced battle sequences.

Is it part of the standard operating procedures for making Macross films that they should follow the concept of Do You Remember Love to the letter?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:28 am Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:

Best girl was chosen tho.

In all seriousness, I liked Delta despite its flaws, and I am absolutely down for more Macross songs anytime. It'd be nice if we could get some solid clarification on the Makina/Reina relationship but I doubt they're willing to go the distance on that front. Not that the implication wasn't obvious, but some canon spelling-out would still be nice.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:16 am Reply with quote
Mew Berry wrote:
EighteenSky wrote:

Best girl was chosen tho.

In all seriousness, I liked Delta despite its flaws, and I am absolutely down for more Macross songs anytime. It'd be nice if we could get some solid clarification on the Makina/Reina relationship but I doubt they're willing to go the distance on that front. Not that the implication wasn't obvious, but some canon spelling-out would still be nice.

I agree best girl was chosen. The other option basically disappeared from the show in the 2nd cour anyway.

As for Makina and Reina, it's 100% irrelevent to the story so I don't see a point.

I also don't see a point in this movie at all, unless they really do just rewrite the entire 2nd cour's plot. Was utter garbage.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:06 am Reply with quote
yeah M/R are totally superfluous characters. Added little.

I for one enjoy and rewatch the Forntier movies far more than the series, and when Delta went insane in the second half I pinned all my hopes on the movie fixing the show.

Like remember how Dancing was hinted at being a big theme and they totally dropped it? Wind wind wind wind. In a space show. You know I can complain about the errors of Delta and the horrible 2nd half all day.

Movie will fix it all, again. Have faith. If not I'm not sure I can get hyped for the next series at all.
Hobbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I for one enjoy and rewatch the Forntier movies far more than the series

Same here ! The movies added a lot to the character devellopement.
That's something Delta really lacked. But the show still tried hard to make us think that some randoms charas were important.

I know the movie format will not make it easier on this point but I still have some hope for it ! ^^
DRWii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
Not the least bit surprised it's a retelling, but still disappointed, especially since the final episode implied spoiler[Freyja was dying], which would be an interesting start to a sequel. It'd be nice if this leaned more towards the Frontier movies than the Plus movie, but I'm not going to bother getting my hopes up; I'd just be setting myself up for even more disappointment.
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
As for Makina and Reina, it's 100% irrelevent to the story so I don't see a point.

Eh, there's not really a point other than I like them and it's nice to see a (probably) LGBT couple in anime that's not stereotyped or fetished (sadly, as we all probably know, it's still pretty rare). But like I said, I'm not actually expecting anything on that front. Just wishful thinking.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
I remember enjoying at least the first cour of content Macross Delta, so even an abridged movie of that content would be a an amusing watch, the Second cour of content would need the Sayonara no Tsubasa treatment to trim out some of the more egregious elements of Delta especially the lackluster finale.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
The main thing about delta was that I felt little to no chemistry between the characters. Hopefully the movie can clear that up. Also the songs in the series are really good. I love Zettai Reido sooooo much (also Ikenai Borderline). Other than that I'm glad to see the gorls come back. I'm an idol fanatic so seeing them announce this made my day.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised it's not two retelling movies like Frontier, but there was so much treading water in the second half of Delta that I guess it is possible to fit everything that matters in a single movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2