• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Dragon Dentist

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
I can admit Gundam Wing is not as good as my childhood probably made it out to be but it's better than the last season of IBO was. Sorry I really can't let that season 2 of IBO go, probably one of the worst Gundam seasons I have ever sat through.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
I think The Dragon DentIst gets a little crazy at the end but I do appreciate the bigger questions it ask. The main question being: if you know the time of your death, what is the purpose of life? Fantasy and science fiction tend to succeed when they ask these bigger philosophical questions. I get the criticism about the CG animation though. It’s jarring and the frame-rate clashes with the 2d animation. Studio KHARA is hit and miss when it comes to successfully integrating 3d animation with the traditional; so I suppose it’s par for the course.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
The Speed Racer bust is somehow a trifle unsettling. You'd want to enshroud it or otherwise store it aside from the rest of your collection. (Having seen it though, I now have the mental image of Chargeman Ken receiving a similarly decorative-yet-unflattering release.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote
And First Lone Monster rears its overly bishonen head once again... a pretty gutsy move on Funimation's part: "This series... still exists! Mu wa ha!"

And who said Halloween is over?

I ordered the Chunbiyo collection as well as the standard Your Name BD set. Will the movie live up to the hype? Does the catholic bear Pope in the Vatican sit? Wait, I think I messed that up somewhere...

And that was the nicest way to describe Chunbiyo season 2 I've ever seen though I think the fact it never got any kind of review is closer to the truth of its overall value. The first season is an essential work in the Kyoto Animation canon... season 2 is just along for the ride.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I have Your Name on preorder and can’t wait till it arrives in the mail tomorrow!
Also, I hope Sentai streams The Dragon Dentist somewhere, as I’m not keen on buying blind. I know HiDive or Anime Strike will probably be their go-to places, but CR would be nice as I believe it’s already there for the UK.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
So when will there be a discussion thread for Your Name? Can we get one before the 'official' street date, pretty please? Some of us have already seen the movie.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Good to know that there weren't many things on the perish shelf. But lots of good stuff. I do want to see the 'Dragon Dentist'.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
The Speed Racer bust is somehow a trifle unsettling. You'd want to enshroud it or otherwise store it aside from the rest of your collection. (Having seen it though, I now have the mental image of Chargeman Ken receiving a similarly decorative-yet-unflattering release.)

The price tag for that thing scares me more, I mean it could be worse but geez.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I watched the dub when it aired on NHK World TV back in March. The special had an interesting concept, but the overall presentation was just okay. If the story and the 2 protagonists were more interesting, I would've liked it a lot more.

What really baffles me about the dub is that the credits list the voice actors, but they don't tell you which characters they voiced. I don't really understand why that still happens in some dubs. You'd think that practice would've been abolished by now. I understand that in non-union dubs there are no set rules about voice credits, but still, how are you supposed to appreciate the voice actors if they aren't credited, or if they are credited but the characters they voiced aren't revealed?
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
So when will there be a discussion thread for Your Name? Can we get one before the 'official' street date, pretty please? Some of us have already seen the movie.

You could always go make one yourself, though, it would probably be best to wait 'til people get their hands on the domestic release.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Gundam the Origin can’t wait to get it.
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
What are the odds that the 2 leads in an anime English dub are named Xanthe and Xander?
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
I can admit Gundam Wing is not as good as my childhood probably made it out to be but it's better than the last season of IBO was.

Eh, I'd still argue Wing is better than most of the UC Gundam series (especially Zeta, 0083 and Victory), roughly on-par with 00, Seed and the original Mobile Suit Gundam and that really only 0080, G and Turn A are superior to it.

Last edited by Zeino on Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
DanQ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:17 am Reply with quote
Dragon Dentist was excellent! Strange, little psycho, but in good way.
But i'm Enokido's fanboy (yes, I really like even Captain Earth Razz), so, take this with a grain of salt ~_^.
Anyway, animation was really superb.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrSatyre

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:38 am Reply with quote
"You know the overused comedy scene where a character sprints at full tilt toward a bus stop or train station, only to watch helplessly as their chosen form of transportation rolls away without them?" (emphasis mine)

Comedy?

What a peculiar translation of an overused scene traditionally understood to be tragic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2