• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Gothicmade in Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I actually wrote the Lost Media Wiki article for Gothicmade. This one frustrates me more than other lost anime in that Nagano could release it...he's just choosing not to! Confused

http://lostmediawiki.com/Gothicmade:_Hana_no_Utame_(partially_found_limited-release_anime_film;_2012)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I avidly followed the release until volume 20, when I lost track of it, thus dooming myself to never getting books 21-26.

I'm in the same boat; volumes 19-26 might as well be lost to the ages.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
At least this has (hopefully) the movie safe so no matter how dire the situation grows or how long it takes, there's at least a chance for release. The Maze Megaburst movie never even got that chance when Toei 'lost' the masters they got from Kadokawa...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I do have all 26 volumes of Five Star Stories. Unfortunately I understand that there are a couple additional volumes issued in Japan (each equivalent to two or three US volumes) that have never been published in English. So, we all have our sorrows. Mad
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
At least this has (hopefully) the movie safe so no matter how dire the situation grows or how long it takes, there's at least a chance for release. The Maze Megaburst movie never even got that chance when Toei 'lost' the masters they got from Kadokawa...
Any idea what the Movie was about, was it a sequel to the TV show or a standalone story?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Gothicmade is definitely an interesting case in regards to "lost anime", due to it being technically still available, but only when the creator himself deems it so. At least Nagano is still willing to let it be shown, unlike the story with Araki & JoJo: Phantom Blood, and at least we know that the anime is still somewhere, unlike something like the Xevious CG movie & the Geisters compilation movies.

I don't recall where I read about it (though I could swear Mike said it once somewhere), but the only explanation I could find about Xevious & the Geisters movies is that the head of Groove Corporation (which produced the films) took the masters & all of the company's money & simply fled, which resulted in the death of Groove due to a literal inability to do anything. This also resulted in the Nakoruru OVA never getting the second episode it was meant to get, since there was no longer any money to pay for producing & animating it.
Gonbawa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I do have all 26 volumes of Five Star Stories. Unfortunately I understand that there are a couple additional volumes issued in Japan (each equivalent to two or three US volumes) that have never been published in English. So, we all have our sorrows. Mad

Same here, I have vol. 1-26, I think they are the equivalent of japanese books I-X.
Vol. XI-XIII were written later and never been translated in english. What a pity. Sad
The Five Star Stories is my favorite planet-opera, on par with Miyazaki's Nausicaä, and Frank Herbert's Dune.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I remember having a conversation with old time small anime retailer in California back several years ago and her impression of Mamoru Nagano wasn't good.
To her, Mamoru Nago was one of those snobbish artsy fartsy type who thinks that he's great.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
I remember having a conversation with old time small anime retailer in California back several years ago and her impression of Mamoru Nagano wasn't good.
To her, Mamoru Nago was one of those snobbish artsy fartsy type who thinks that he's great.

For all I know that's true, but I'm left wondering how an "old time small anime retailer in California" had ample enough points of interaction with the man that she was able to form an impression of his sense of self-worth. Confused
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
@reanimator

That is an entirely typical reaction to any artist who wants to retain control of their work. Even if it is his attitude, I can't say much because I tend to agree, he is great.
Cabron

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
Any idea what the Movie was about, was it a sequel to the TV show or a standalone story?
It's a sequel.

Here's the synopsis:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/8442/Maze☆Bakunetsu_Jikuu__Tenpen_Kyoui_no_Giant

And here's the PV for the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EozQGL33RuY
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:15 am Reply with quote
Fantastic article. I always wanted to get into FSS, but I could never find the motivation to do so because I know it will be finished (if ever) when I don't remember a single thing about it.
KlarkKentThe3rd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:15 am Reply with quote
I have no idea if I'll even like this, but my stance is that EVERY FINISHED PRODUCT should be available for everyone. Whether the creators like it or not.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:56 am Reply with quote
Cabron wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
It's a sequel.

Here's the synopsis:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/8442/Maze☆Bakunetsu_Jikuu__Tenpen_Kyoui_no_Giant

And here's the PV for the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EozQGL33RuY
I do not trust MAL 100%, as it doesn't seem to fact check. But thanks for the trailer.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Man, thanks for the article.

I really do hope we someday get to see Gothicmade in English. I'd love to see more of Nagano's mecha designs being animated.

Although I don't own them, I got the chance to read the English volumes of FSS around 5 years ago. Despite some weird setbacks (font choice, translation quirks, weird action scene portrayals), I find myself really liking it. I was ecstatic when I knew that it hadn't ended, but also disappointed they're no longer being released in English.

Come to think of it, weird as he may be, Nagano married the voice actress Maria Kawamura, right? It's great to know they're both still together after all these years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2