• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Persona 4: The Animation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The main difference is that the character Naoto (whose original voice goes uncredited) has been recast as Mary Elizabeth McGlynn. Otherwise, there's little difference.

Actually, there's one other voice actor change: Matt Mercer replaced Troy Baker as Kanji starting with Episode 13, though it can be hard to tell the difference since they sound alike.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
New Game's second season was more than just better than the first season, it essentially moved the work into another genre, from light workplace comedy into touching drama for people of a creative ilk.... though I'm still trying to figure out how the character designer who came up with the overall game mechanic was never referred as the game's main creator.

I still haven't tried either Sakamoto or Phantom World though I hear... I haven't heard much about either one of them. I've even watched a few episodes of the Sakamoto sub and I still have no idea what it's about. The work decided to have a rotating cast so we can get a new "OMG, Sakamoto is awesome!" reaction each episode either for some reason or because that's all the humor they got. Wait, I mean "that's all the humor they got, for some reason".

I like Future Diary and now that's finally more complete, I can get it sometime just not this year as my anime budget has been wiped out.

And we're back to Persona 4 again? I liked the overall design of the show but I found the story as well as use and integration of the cast as well as the show's magik/combat/game system to be pretty bland. It's the kind of show you can still like without even remembering any of it once you finish. I'd call it "impressively inoffensive".
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
The main difference is that the character Naoto (whose original voice goes uncredited) has been recast as Mary Elizabeth McGlynn. Otherwise, there's little difference.

Actually, there's one other voice actor change: Matt Mercer replaced Troy Baker as Kanji starting with Episode 13, though it can be hard to tell the difference since they sound alike.

And Teddie, who was voiced by Dave Wittenberg in the original game and Sam Riegel in the anime versions.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
What an awesome collection! I looked at each picture again and again seeing stuff I missed the first time. And you really have maximized space (I have the same problem), but it is fun to be creative and look at the results. Very Happy
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
You're missing Wandering Son vol.3?
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:46 pm Reply with quote
The Persona 4 anime was my first experience with the Persona series and I really enjoyed it. I really enjoyed the style and feel of the anime. So I don't think it's bad introduction for someone if they don't have access to the game.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
@Elizabeth: I adore your shelf of Pokemon plushies! You've also got nice box sets for some fantastic series. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Well we'll be getting a Persona 5 anime, and meanwhile Persona 4 the Golden and Persona 3 movies are expensive as all hell. I enjoyed the show for what it was worth. Of course I think P4tG has a tighter design than the TV series. But again that's a whole different debate between those that either liked the TV series or those that considered P4tG looking like sh*t. Don't know what they were looking at.

I am curious about that series called 'Haven't you heard I'm Sakamoto'.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To me, this anime worked best when it was being comedically self-referential about the game and its mechanics. I was most engaged during the “summer break” episodes, where the production team had to figure out what to do with a month-long period of mostly unstructured free time for the player. They knocked out quite a few social links in quick succession by inventing an original framing story about the crazy min-maxing shenanigans that the player has to pull off in order to complete every route in the game.
This is the tone that would eventually be adopted more fully in Persona 4 the Golden Animation, a later anime series that adapts the bonus material from the game's expanded re-release.

The Summer break two-parter, where they basically wrap up EVERY single side-quest social link that didn't have to do with the main murder storyline (eg. the nurse, the widow, the daycare mother) is a good example of just how faithful the first series is to the game--
The main cinematic story of the game follows a set plotline, so it's not hard to do a good anime adaptation, but there are points where the dialogue is almost word-for-word from the game, I went back, started over the game again, and followed the series as a "hint book" whenever I found myself stuck.
I could never get all the side quests finished, and if it wasn't for the anime, I'd never have known how the Widow/Death quest resolved.

The Golden series was basically the series stuck for what to do for an encore, after the first series had gone through the entire game storyline--We get side stories, alternate-POV backstories, and Tenchi-like ensemble stories as an excuse to sell the new Marie character, but it's basically an ensemble series rather than the game series.

Chrno2 wrote:
We'll be getting a Persona 5 anime, and meanwhile Persona 4 the Golden and Persona 3 movies are expensive as all hell.

For those who (ahem) still look to Netflix for their anime Confused , the second "P3: Midsummer Knight's Dream" feature--starting from the love-hotel scene--is still streaming subbed on Netflix.
Just that one, though, and haven't seen any of the three features turn up on any of the other usual suspects. Anime acquisition on Netflix was rather odd, before Seven Deadly Sins.

And testament to P4's saturation that when I watched the movie, I couldn't remember who a single P3 character was, jumping into the middle of it. I remembered the Dark Hour, Aegis and making their way up the tower, but the rest was all buried under more attention to Yukio and Teddie.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
And Teddie, who was voiced by Dave Wittenberg in the original game and Sam Riegel in the anime versions.

Ah yes, that too. I don't know why I keep forgetting that one. It's the most obvious change compared to Kanji and Naoto.

Chrno2 wrote:
Well we'll be getting a Persona 5 anime, and meanwhile Persona 4 the Golden and Persona 3 movies are expensive as all hell. I enjoyed the show for what it was worth. Of course I think P4tG has a tighter design than the TV series. But again that's a whole different debate between those that either liked the TV series or those that considered P4tG looking like sh*t. Don't know what they were looking at.

With all these Persona anime (including the half-baked and just plain awful trinity soul), I wish Persona 1 and 2 could get animated productions of their own.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
You're missing Wandering Son vol.3?

Yes, I am! The first 3 volumes are hard to get. I had the first 2 and snatched the later volumes when I heard they were all going OOP, but it was too late for volume 3. Even had a canceled backorder from Rightstuf. Crying or Very sad

@CatSword and Usagi-kun, thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BVerfG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Aside from its storytelling quality, much of the game's popularity can be attributed to just how hard Atlus pushed the damn thing

Until proven otherwise I would argue that this is untrue and confusing cause and effect. The spinoffs, the manga, the anime, the merchandise, all of it was because Persona 4 was so successful and not itself the cause of its popularity. The Anime is from 2011 (!) while the game was released in 2008. Seems a bit farfetched to say Persona 4 was so popular because Atlus decided to do some other related stuff years later. In fact i'd go so far to say that this is rewriting history from todays experience. Because we have been flooded with P4 related stuff over the years Persona 4 is seen as that game with a lot of spin-offs etc. and not as that game that even put the franchise on the map and therefore got all those spinoffs and made them profitable.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:58 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Chrno2 wrote:
We'll be getting a Persona 5 anime, and meanwhile Persona 4 the Golden and Persona 3 movies are expensive as all hell.

For those who (ahem) still look to Netflix for their anime Confused , the second "P3: Midsummer Knight's Dream" feature--starting from the love-hotel scene--is still streaming subbed on Netflix.
Just that one, though, and haven't seen any of the three features turn up on any of the other usual suspects. Anime acquisition on Netflix was rather odd, before Seven Deadly Sins.

And testament to P4's saturation that when I watched the movie, I couldn't remember who a single P3 character was, jumping into the middle of it. I remembered the Dark Hour, Aegis and making their way up the tower, but the rest was all buried under more attention to Yukio and Teddie.

Ah, didn't know it was streaming. But I'm talking about owning. But I had start watching P4tG on Netflix (think it was Hulu). Maybe I'll check it out. Because I have no idea how good the animation was for the P3 movies.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I watched P4 Animation streaming and bought it, mainly for the chance to finally get to hear the Japanese voices of the characters that I had literally spent over 500 hours with in the PS2 version in English.

It was good, but generally what you hear first is your preference, and I liked the English more this time.

I had already decided I was not buying P4G Animation before Aniplex made my decision easier for me.

Though, full disclaimer, I own all the Aniplex P3 movies, worth the price to me, and I was not disappointed.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
The Persona 4 anime was my first experience with the Persona series and I really enjoyed it. I really enjoyed the style and feel of the anime. So I don't think it's bad introduction for someone if they don't have access to the game.

Same. My first experience with the Persona series as a whole was through this anime. I loved it (the anime version of the King's Game is still one of my favorite scenes of all time). It is certainly a better introduction than the Golden anime, which is essentially New Game+ with how fast it breezes through some story elements.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2