• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Joker Game

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quote
Kiddy Girl is something of an oddity to me. I didn't even know it existed until I saw it on Right Stuf. I was also surprised that Funimation didn't dub it despite dubbing Kiddy Grady, but I assumed it must have tanked. Finding out that it isn't streaming on Funimation or CR makes it stranger still, since there are several examples of things that streamed without a physical release, but the opposite is unusual for them.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe I'm this close to getting to see GoShogun. It's been my most wanted anime for maybe ten years and I'm almost afraid of watching it. What if I don't like it after wanting to see it so badly for so long? In any case, I'm really, really happy Discotek is releasing it.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Paul's complaints about the characterisations in Joker Game are the same as my own. Intrigue and deception were ample in the series, though next to none of the characters seemed human. The fearless, stolid demeanour of the D-Agents offered few openings for sympathy, while the people with whom they interacted, perhaps unsurprisingly, were often little more than mouthpieces for geopolitical forces. I abandoned ship before the halfway point—a cerebral plot really doesn't interest me if it supersedes the portrayal of emotion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't think you're wrong about joker game not being very enjoyable. I've watched close to half and it's not nearly as clever as it think it is. I guess it suits the theme, its only real skill is behaving as if it was a smart show when its not.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Kiddy Girl is something of an oddity to me. I didn't even know it existed until I saw it on Right Stuf. I was also surprised that Funimation didn't dub it despite dubbing Kiddy Grady, but I assumed it must have tanked. Finding out that it isn't streaming on Funimation or CR makes it stranger still, since there are several examples of things that streamed without a physical release, but the opposite is unusual for them.

Interesting as it puts Kiddy Grade And in the same class as Nichijou and Good Luck Ninomiyu-kun. I still wonder why Nichijou wasn't dubbed and the best thing I could come up with... it's still selling now and I can't think of a sub only title that has sold more, in fact I'd even wager that it's starting to outsell most of Funimation's dubbed titles now... is that they can't stream it.

I don't wonder that much about Kiddy Grade And. I first heard a sequel was going to be done years ago, then I heard a sequel was made and years later, I heard Funimation licensed it.

And that's all I know about it. It's like someone licensing To Heart 2 years and years after To Heart was licensed and dubbed. In other news of weird licensing feats, someone licensed To Heart 2. Wait, was that Sentai? Is it on...

Wait a minute... wow, that one actually is streaming. Wow, life is weird.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Joker Game was quite good, glad to see it get covered.

I remember having the tape for Macron-1 so I'm looking forward to seeing GoShogun when it ships.

Greed1914 wrote:

Yeah, I'm picking it up to finish it but what I watched of it was not as good as the original and I'm guessing it didn't do so hot or Funi would have gotten to it sooner, but I'm still surprised that they didn't dub it. Also, yeah it's weird that it's not streaming.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
ANN has a dub listed for GoShogun, with the likes of Barbara Goodson and Cam Clarke, so I wonder why it is getting a sub-only release.

I'm happy that Joker Game is Shelve Worthy, that was a fun spy show, and having stand alone stories across the world made for lots of different scenarios. It is a shame that it never got a second season. Some people criticise the spies for all being the same, but once you see them in their own stories, they each have their own personalities.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I pre-orderd Go-Shogun I got GoShogun:The Time Étranger earlier this year but put off watching it since it's technically a sequel of sorts and I would rather have the full context of the story before I watch the film. Also nice to see Swan Lake get a release.
pikabot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Paul is far kinder to Joker Game than it deserves. It’s deathly dull.
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I gave up on Joker Game the moment I realized that I couldn't tell any of those sharply dressed, highly proficient spies apart from each other after 8 episodes. There wasn't enough pathos besides being a bunch of slick mofos.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:59 pm Reply with quote
joker game was really, really slow a few episodes in and took quite some time to get interesting. After the first arc you can skip most of the show until they return to the main plot.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Joker Game. My biggest issue is it was too episodic. In the end, there was never a real plot.

I don't get the complaints about the lack of emotion. That was the whole point. They established right from the beginning that the agents were trained to blend in. Spending time on pointless interactions wouldn't make any sense other than to further a narrative. In my opinion, this was one of the better aspects of the show.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Ah...I get a weird joy out of looking at shelves with old ADV/Tokyopop manga, ADV/Bandai/Geneon/Pioneer box sets, etc. I greatly envy that silver Abenobashi box.

I also love the framed Azumanga Daioh and Aria photos! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Swan Lake is out tomorrow!!!!!!!!!! I think I might be excited. Just a little.

Quote:
We don't have much coverage of this 1981 movie
Ain't it de way. Okay.

This is a great movie. If the wonderful, straight up beautiful, sort of fairytale storytelling that Japan has done many times appeals to you, then check out this movie. It's a 4-star film like classic Disney does at its best (think Snow White and Sleeping Beauty) but is a very distinctly anime film in its look and tone.

The English dub that I am most familiar with is the Pam Dawber one from the 80's and it's a fantastic dub: The script follows the original story very well and the few made-up lines still hit the mark (i.e. Silence is not considered dead air and the words spoken aren't trying to reinvent what is clearly shown onscreen); The performances are amazing (It's one of my favourite dubs of all time); and the one major piece of music changed is a huge improvement to the mood of the scene (When Odette goes up to the tower). This Discotek release includes the Japanese version, too, so you can compare.

I cannot plug this film enough. Toei's crack at The Little Mermaid was very much a made-for-tv movie, in its storytelling and script, but their turn at Swan Lake is very much a theatrical show.

This movie is for everyone: There's nothing avant garde in the animation or filmmaking but it is still a beautiful feature; There's nothing that would be considered a turn-off, such as fanservice or swearing or graphic violence (If the kids were okay with the climax of Sleeping Beauty, they'll be okay with this); and the subject matter is pretty much straight forward good versus evil, mixed with fairytale romance, wrapped in a package of talking animals who serve a purpose and charming villains who are a threat but are so damn delightful at it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Joker Game and intend to buy it eventually. I adore the OP song and visuals. My only complaint really was having trouble telling them apart, which in a sense isn't a flaw, given that they're not supposed to be conspicuous. A dub might help with that, although I enjoyed the voice work on the Japanese side enough that I probably wouldn't listen to the dub more than once. I also appreciated that they were not all spoiler[protected by plot armor.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2