• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Deadly Sins: Revival of The Commandments Anime's 2nd Promo Video Previews Opening Theme

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
New PV is cool and the Opening sounds nice. Was kind of hoping for some tease of the best character, but I'll be patient. Seems today wasnt the day!
UncleDrew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
İ cant really get the charming point of this anime, but would like to enjoy it like fans. Granrodeo, those VAs, Sawano Hiroyuki... A lot of good staff and need to say when a character with a small face smiles in this anime it looks like this :>
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely looking forward to the new season. The animation staff looks to be the same, and while they didn't keep the series composition writer from the first season, the new one is certainly capable (they are in the same position for the currently airing Konohana Kitan) though they do have some more mixed titles as any relatively prolific anime writer has. The previous one's last work was Dimension W anyhow. My only concern is with the direction (and assistant director), as the director only has three series under their belt - the only one of which I've seen (eldlive) doesn't exactly recommend them - and the assistant only two at that level, one of which was also eldlive.

Also wondering where it will end up streaming.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:36 pm Reply with quote
^is there some reason Netflix wouldn't have it? I am already all mentally prepared for their dub.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:40 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
^is there some reason Netflix wouldn't have it? I am already all mentally prepared for their dub.

More hoping that they don't really. Though even if Netflix does have it, it will almost certainly come out sooner than the first season.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:49 pm Reply with quote
The anime is about to adapt one of the best arcs of the manga so I’m extremely excited. The animation and music seems very solid from the PV.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:26 am Reply with quote
I feel like Netflix really killed this franchise in the West among Otaku. Literally no one I know talks about this poor show. And it's a little hard to get excited about it with that being the case. It's also been soo long since the last series. I'm going to need a refresher before jumping into this... next Fall, when Netflix presumably posts it... -____-
Slashman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:24 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I feel like Netflix really killed this franchise in the West among Otaku. Literally no one I know talks about this poor show. And it's a little hard to get excited about it with that being the case. It's also been soo long since the last series. I'm going to need a refresher before jumping into this... next Fall, when Netflix presumably posts it... -____-

How did Netflix kill the franchise exactly?
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:47 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

I'm sorry to say that while Otaku may not have latched onto this series in the west, it has definitely done really well on Netflix as a service and is one of the most commonly talked about anime from the service itself.

I cannot agree that Netflix killed the franchise in the west by any stretch of the imagination.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
How did Netflix kill the franchise exactly?

CaRoss wrote:

I'm sorry to say that while Otaku may not have latched onto this series in the west, it has definitely done really well on Netflix as a service and is one of the most commonly talked about anime from the service itself.

I cannot agree that Netflix killed the franchise in the west by any stretch of the imagination.

"I feel like Netflix really killed this franchise in the West among Otaku. Literally no one I know talks about this poor show. And it's a little hard to get excited about it with that being the case. It's also been soo long since the last series. I'm going to need a refresher before jumping into this... next Fall, when Netflix presumably posts it... -____-"

I highlighted the keywords for you guys. Hopefully that helps.

I've directly spoken with industry people who explained why they like Netflix and why it is a compelling option for streaming. I know how it works, and I'm under no delusion that it is bad for a show. It's bad for our little community of hardcore fans who watch stuff seasonally, and I reserve the right to be slightly annoyed by that.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:17 am Reply with quote
Do we have any idea how many episodes this is going to be? I really enjoyed the Netflix dub and honestly I'm in no hurry to watch this every week.

Also, with over half a million watchers on MAL (which really only western anime watchers use) and a score of 8.3, I would not say Netflix killed this one. Every anime fan I know has seen it.
The only way in which I felt Netflix detracted from it is that, since they don't do physical releases, it took several years for a western Bluray release. I know the Japanese dont like reverse importing of cheap western anime, but do they not care at all about the sales?

Last edited by LegitPancake on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Eddy564

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:26 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Do we have any idea how many episodes this is going to be? I really enjoyed the Netflix dub and honestly I'm in no hurry to watch this every week.

Also, with over half a million watchers on MAL (which really only western anime watchers use) and a score of 8.3, I would not say Netflix killed this one. Every anime fan I know has seen it.
I believe it’ll be two cours. So most likely, 25 episodes.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:30 am Reply with quote
I gotta say, it's heartbreaking when the anime just can't quite capture the style of the manga, and especially when the anime takes liberties with the manga's vision.

Here is an official colorization of the Ten Commandments from the manga:

https://imgur.com/a/wu46r

In the trailer, Garan is colored an odd and sloppy tone of deep red, which as a long-time fan of this series, looks hideous and baffles my mind why the creators of the anime adaptation couldn't be bothered to do a little research beforehand. But I digress, this is just a small problem in the grand scheme when such a masterful manga is getting such a lukewarm adaptation. I would have loved to see this series get an adaptation that could realize the original vision in animated form, especially with the next arc which takes the story from great to amazing. I guess Japan doesn't like putting money behind Anime anymore though. What a damn shame.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:31 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

The only way in which I felt Netflix detracted from it is that, since they don't do physical releases, it took several years for a western Bluray release. I know the Japanese dont like reverse importing of cheap western anime, but do they not care at all about the sales?

If you're also referring to my comment. First off, sorry I made the comment in the first place. I didn't realize no one was going to understand it at all. And secondly:

"I feel like Netflix really killed this franchise in the West among Otaku. Literally no one I know talks about this poor show."

"I'm under no delusion that it is bad for a show. It's bad for our little community of hardcore fans who watch stuff seasonally, and I reserve the right to be slightly annoyed by that."

By Otaku, I don't mean the audience that watches shonen anime regardless of what it is or where it is. I'm talking about people who legally watch seasonal anime and talk about it online. Personally, I haven't seen much discussion of SDS at all(I usually frequent places that promote legal viewership, so I'm not seeing the reddit and 4chan discussions or wherever all the pirates congregate. I'm sure they are just as lively as anything else).
Anyway, Netflix doesn't target the seasonal viewer, they target casual fans, and there are enough of them to make a show like SDS successful, I'm sure. But as far as my experience goes, the franchise has been killed among seasonally watching Western Otaku.
flackenstien

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:02 am Reply with quote
Why is Galand red?! Fml, he's my favorite Commandment and they butchered him. To be fair, I haven't watched the first season, so I don't know what else they might have changed from the source material.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2