• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Emoji Movie Gets Japanese Dub for Home Video Release

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Nothing can save this film.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe they're actually going to waste an all-star cast for this...
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Poor Sakurai...i’ve really been wondering lately if voice actors aren’t forced or ‘strongly persuaded’ into certain roles by their agencies. Since we’re on the topic of seiyuus, Answerman? (Jk)
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
LMAO They really got an all star cast for this. I don't think that's going to save this train.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
That movie actually made money? Was it from little kids, or guys who went to see how bad it was?
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
That movie actually made money? Was it from little kids, or guys who went to see how bad it was?

Made money? It made over four times its budget! Yes, this movie was actually profitable!
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh, damn! How dare this movie make its money back and then some! This is why we can't have nice things! I can only hope this at least fails hard in Japan (of course, since the Japanese animation sales chart numbers we get on ANN include things like Frozen, still, even after all this time, it would include this travesty too, and hopefully it just never appears on it or appears in the lowest slot once then forever disappears at best).

I like how there's just a flying stack of money on the Japanese cover so prominently. Like it's just straight up admitting it's a cash grab.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
I think even bad kid movies make money because for every kid that goes, one or more adults has to go with them so the ticket sales multiply that way. Plus the movie is bright and colorful and has poop jokes (remember how prominently the poop guy was featured in the marketing) and that's enough to entertain some kids even if it leaves their parents snoring.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Cerceaux wrote:
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
I think even bad kid movies make money because for every kid that goes, one or more adults has to go with them so the ticket sales multiply that way. Plus the movie is bright and colorful and has poop jokes (remember how prominently the poop guy was featured in the marketing) and that's enough to entertain some kids even if it leaves their parents snoring.

That's a good analysis:
Also, we had the movie-summer Massacres of '16-17, when bad unwanted franchise blockbusters dropped like flies.
Least-objectionable animated films usually do unnaturally good business during bad-blockbuster summer--Just as Finding Nemo struck fear into the hearts of 2003 studio execs as Terminator 3 and the Ang Lee Hulk movie failed, and Shrek roamed the earth as '01's Planet of the Apes and AI tanked epically, the Massacre of Summer '16 was relieved by implausible box-offices for Finding Dory and the Secret Life of Pets taking us away from all those Ghostbusters and Turtles.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
It has a talking piece of poo as a character. Of course it's going to be popular in Japan.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
It has a talking piece of poo as a character. Of course it's going to be popular in Japan.

I wonder if it's popular in Germany, too? Laughing
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:38 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

especially it's Koyasu-voiced Poop.... Or Koyasu-voiced hand...
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:51 am Reply with quote
What a waste! It's bad enough when people like Patrick Stewart squander their talents on stuff like "The Emoji Movie." Now,there are going to be talented Japanese voice actors who are going to be voicing this silly thing? I've heard a lot about this movie and not a lot of it good. From what I've heard,this movie's going to be ranked with some of the worst stuff that have ever been made. Stuff like "Plan 9 From Outer Space,""Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band,""Ishtar,"and "Battlefield Earth."
I don't doubt that there'll even be comparisons to anime like "Angel Cop,""Mars of Destruction," and "Skelter Heaven." And now,talented Japanese voice actors are going to waste their time and talents on this? Why? I can imagine that years later,many of the actors who starred in this are going to say that this movie should have never been made. I don't think that a lot of people are going to disagree with them on that.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Nothing can save this film.

What if Norio Wakamoto voices every character and You Say Run plays throughout the entire movie?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote
Really, Japan? Really?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2