• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle Fighting Game's Character Video Reveals 3 More Playable Characters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
And that's why they call her the Ice Queen. (Sorry couldn't resist)
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:

Awesome, now I shall be able to tolerate playing the game with them in it~

Weiss sounds fine in English but I don't understand how Ruby's VA is still employed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EajgCbXB2CU Watching/listening to her fight is like nails on a chalkboard.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
Weiss sounds fine in English but I don't understand how Ruby's VA is still employed.

You make it sound as if whether a voice actor can get "fired" from something depends entirely on your personal tastes in voices as oppose to said voice actor doing good work and being good to work with and establishing connections and networking as a result.

And yes people, I know Lindsay Jones isn't technically a professional voice actress! I'm just making a case in response to this supposed notion of how creative freelance gigs work.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
MrTerrorist wrote:

Awesome, now I shall be able to tolerate playing the game with them in it~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EajgCbXB2CU Watching/listening to her fight is like nails on a chalkboard.

I mean that video is of a demo, it's not the final mix and there's two Ruby's on screen at the same time so I it's not really an accurate depiction of the characters voice.
IanC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Why, exactly, is RWBY so damn popular?
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say, Weiss looks to have a lot of potential to be a unique character gameplay-wise.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
To be fair to Lindsay Jones, Ruby's english voice actor, she's not a professional voice actor like Vic Mignogna and Jen Taylor who both had training to do voice acting. Furthermore, she voiced her lines for the game not too long after she gave birth to her daughter, which may have affected her performance.
macattack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:03 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
To be fair to Lindsay Jones, Ruby's english voice actor, she's not a professional voice actor like Vic Mignogna and Jen Taylor who both had training to do voice acting. Furthermore, she voiced her lines for the game not too long after she gave birth to her daughter, which may have affected her performance.

Colleen Clinkenbeard did the same thing, albeit she is a professional VA. You can't really hear a difference with her.

The reason why Lindsay Jones is Ruby's VA was because when RWBY started it was an incredibly low-budget thing meant to keep Monty Oum happy while he did other things at Rooster Teeth. Rooster Teeth basically had to find whatever female employees they had to get behind the mic and portray Monty's many female characters, and Lindsay was the choice to play Ruby. No one at RT including Monty expected RWBY to explode like it has.

Rooster Teeth started bringing in professional VAs for the new characters since season 3, which accelerated in season 4 with them commissioning a Dallas-based recording studio for all new castings from this point onward. However, Lindsay and company have been voicing their characters for too long, to change them at this point unless it was an amicable departure would be incredibly rude. The closest we've gotten to the Austin VAs being replaced is that their characters as children are being portrayed by pro VAs instead of by the Austin crew, and I suspect that's how it will stay.

That being said, Lindsay has the least amount of acting talent of the four VAs playing team RWBY and her voice, which gives the impression of a forced soprano, is about as pleasing to listen to as Bella Hudson's Luffy. Again, though, she's been Ruby for too long, they're not going to replace her at all unless Lindsay opts to stop portraying the character, which I don't think is going to happen either.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Jesus, I'm surprised by the hate-storm directed at Lindsey Jones. She lacks formal voice acting training, absolutely, but she was hardly chosen simply because she worked at RT at the time of RWBY's creation and was female. Monty Oum specifically chose her for the part; (working on Red vs. Blue, he did in fact have access to other female VAs he could have approached instead).

I'm excited for the game and am glad RWBY gets to reach new audiences in this way.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
As expected. Hazamama joins the fray. Hope Es will be in it soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1