• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The 10 Best Episodes of One Piece

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:12 am Reply with quote
A couple of my favorite episodes were the Thriller Bark episode when Nami took a bath. I don't mention filler, but this is noteworthy. The 2nd filler episode after the end of Thriller Bark when they took a break at that resort. The amount of sakuga they put into Nami brought a tear to my eye. I had to appreciate the hard work the staff put into the episode. It may have been filler, but Nami is always canon.
NobodysDawn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:13 am Reply with quote
spoiler[ Ace’s death episode ] isn’t on here? Blasphemy!
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
Personally, one of my all-time favorite episodes is #126, "I Will Surpass You! Rain Falls in Alabasta!". It's not just the climactic end to the Alabasta Arc, still one of the best in the entire series, but it's the way it ends that remains glorious. Luffy unleashing an never-ending barrage of Gum Gum Storm on Crocodile is memorable enough, but to have Kouhei Tanaka reach back into his Violinist of Hameln days & use a literal piece of classical music (Dvorak's "New World Symphony") to put the exclamation point on the sequence is still one of the greatest ends to a battle I've ever seen.

Obviously, there are other great moments, like Nami finally asking for Luffy's help, saying farewell to Vivi's time as a Straw Hat, & others that have been mentioned already, but for me the end of the Luffy/Crocodile fight has to be the most impactful (both literally & figuratively) episode that I've seen in full.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
NobodysDawn wrote:

Because it's overrated, both the character and what happened to it. I would have cared if that character was ever around, or not always shoved down my throat when he did appear.

Personally Jet Gatling is still probably my favorite scene/episode but that's cause I'm a sucker for Robin and that being the final event of "her" arc is something I like. I wouldn't put Zoro's flashback on my list, it's the weakest flashback next to Ussop's and for a series that puts so much emphasis on Flashbacks they both kinda...suck.

Just a weird thing I noticed. Sam's right and Fishman Island isn't an awful (Ussop's arc is probably worse) and it is clearly a "People are Racist and that's bad" story and it does it in a good way that criticizes the humans but doesn't absolve the fishmen entirely either. But it does bring up an interesting point about One Piece that I mentioned on r/manga the other day. There's like...no dark skinned characters in One Piece that aren't jsut background minor players, The Shandorians are all implied to be Native in race and Mr 1 is black/dark skinned but that's really it and it becomes even stranger when you realize in the manga Robin never had her tan, she was always a slightly off white and the anime made her darker. I don't know if it's because Oda uses a little more of a muted color pallet in his shading so its less notable or what, but like in Bleach you knew Yoruichi, Tousen, Harribel and Mila-Rose had dark skin without it being offensively dark but in One Piece it's either unclear if it's "Dark Skin" or just a weathered/tanned look. I don't normally call media out for stuff like that I just a little odd that Oda does Fishman Island and a whole lot of discrimination based storylines but a lot of his characters are similar in look, something he has bad with a lot of female characters looking like "Nami but with this haircut" or "Overweight Lady"
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The only other time that Luffy got into a serious fight with a cremate was Usopp

I think you meant crewmate there. XD

Ever since One Piece stopped airing on Toonami (a decision I still loathe to this day), I've been needing to get caught up. It seems I'm missing out on way too much One Piece.
klv
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Lord Geo about episode #126: "I Will Surpass You! Rain Falls in Alabasta!", with that awesome application of Dvořák. What a memorable moment in One Piece!
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
The only other time that Luffy got into a serious fight with a cremate was Usopp

I think you meant crewmate there. Anime hyper

Ever since One Piece stopped airing on Toonami (a decision I still loathe to this day), I've been needing to get caught up. It seems I'm missing out on way too much One Piece.

Ha ha, whoops! Fixed.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
NobodysDawn wrote:
That is more of a moment/scene, than an episode.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Personally, one of my all-time favorite episodes is #126, "I Will Surpass You! Rain Falls in Alabasta!". It's not just the climactic end to the Alabasta Arc, still one of the best in the entire series, but it's the way it ends that remains glorious. Luffy unleashing an never-ending barrage of Gum Gum Storm on Crocodile is memorable enough, but to have Kouhei Tanaka reach back into his Violinist of Hameln days & use a literal piece of classical music (Dvorak's "New World Symphony") to put the exclamation point on the sequence is still one of the greatest ends to a battle I've ever seen.

Damn you beat me to it. I was honestly surprised 126 wasn't on this list tho, it ended the conflict of the biggest saga in the series to date, put luffy on the map to the whole world by taking out a warlord and as you said was one of the best endings to a fight ever.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
I was honestly surprised 126 wasn't on this list tho, it ended the conflict of the biggest saga in the series to date, put luffy on the map to the whole world by taking out a warlord and as you said was one of the best endings to a fight ever.

To be honest, I was hoping that Dvorak would return for the end of the Doflamingo fight, if only to establish that song as a sort of leifmotif for whenever a Warlord has been defeated in battle, especially with the whole "New World" nomenclature. Granted, there's a chance that it wouldn't have fit in the actual moment, but it could have been a neat call back, at the very least.
sdab88

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm a huge fan of Zoro, so any episode that has him in the spotlight is a favourite. Though, I would have thought episode 377 would be on here.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I would argue that Ace's death isn't even the strongest moment of that arc, but instead include Whitebeard's. He passes the torch of what it means to be a pirate to the next generation and shakes the entire world one last time with his final words.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Ummm... I read 700 chapters of OP and hated every page, however, the Going Merry dead was actually a beautifully made chapter.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Ummm... I read 700 chapters of OP and hated every page, however, the Going Merry dead was actually a beautifully made chapter.

No one hate reads 700 chapters (Approximately 14000+ pages). You might not of loved it but if you stuck with it that long clearly you didn't Hate it.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:25 am Reply with quote
Thanks but I've switched from anime to manga since Dressrosa arc and I'm totally fine with reading a chapter/week instead of watching an episode/week at 2x-2,5x speed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2