• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Really bad audio on Crunchyroll?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsilver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:24 am Reply with quote
I mostly watch Crunchyroll on my Roku, but I’ve been having issues with it where even if the video is of decent quality, the audio sounds ultra-compressed, like s 32kbps mp3 or something, just distorted and “wooshy” Sometimes it gets better as the episode goes on.

Is this Crunchyroll in general or just the Roku app? Stuff like YouTube sounds fine on it.
Any workarounds?
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
Well, this is easy enough to test. Just watch it with a browser and see if the experience is any better.

I've watched Crunchyroll on computers, an Apple TV box, a PS3, my Android phone, and cast from my phone to a Chromecast device. There are no audio issues that I can detect on any of those platforms.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I noticed some warping in the latest GARO episode when I watched it via PS4.
gsilver

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
Ok, it's been forever since I followed up on this:

Roku: Sounds awful
Same episode on my HTPC, on the same TV, from the same HDMI port, and on the same speakers: Sounds fine

I'm using a Roku 3, which is pretty old at this point.
ritwik

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:01 am Reply with quote
Same happened to me. Actually, When I asked Crunchyroll support they suggested me to change the browser. The Flash of your browser might cause this issue. JUst change from firefox to chrome and update to the latest version. Hope this might help someone.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:35 am Reply with quote
Just a reminder this thread originally concerned Crunchyroll on a Roku device. I have a Roku Streaming Stick+ plugged directly into an HDMI port on my audio receiver. Crunchyroll and other services using this device sound as clear as any other input.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I have a Roku as well but I haven't noticed anything wrong. It may be time for you to replace/upgrade yours. Mine's the Roku Premiere+.

ritwik wrote:
Same happened to me. Actually, When I asked Crunchyroll support they suggested me to change the browser. The Flash of your browser might cause this issue. JUst change from firefox to chrome and update to the latest version. Hope this might help someone.

Except a Roku isn't a browser. It's a device with pre-loaded applications that you use for streaming web content on your television via the internet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1