• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DARLING in the FRANXX Anime's 2nd Promo Reveals More Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
This show looks better and better everytime I see a new PV. 2D mechs! I am really excited for it. And I even get a SIMULDUB!
Yazu13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
They're finally giving Trigger a real budget? What timeline is this?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Now all it needs is to be written well so I can show it to everyone who claims Voltron Legendary Defender is good.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I feel like this show has a much bigger gimmick that they're not revealing yet, and I think it's the seating arrangement for the guy and girl in the giant robot.

Yazu13 wrote:
They're finally giving Trigger a real budget? What timeline is this?

It helps some of the Idolmaster's staff of A-1 Pictures is contributing this.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:16 am Reply with quote
With this many characters, it would make sense for there to be at least 24 episodes (be it split or double cour) to really develop the characters. Being my most anticipated Winter 2018 anime, many thanks goes to to the CR-Funi folks for getting this.
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:39 am Reply with quote
[quote="darkchibi07"]I feel like this show has a much bigger gimmick that they're not revealing yet, and I think it's the seating arrangement for the guy and girl in the giant robot.[quote]

Funny you say that, they're definitely trying to keep it "hidden". At least relatively so. But you can get a rough idea of how it works from the PVs and picture of the cockpit we got. It's definitely silly and probably the reason they got Yabuki to draw the manga to begin with. The position of the pilots is definitely right, but other specifics are just my guessing:

1. The girl is literally "integrated" into the cockpit. This is something I'm already certain of. The second part is a guess I've had since the reveal of the Franxx and their designs. The female pilot's consciousness becomes part of the robot and she "gives it life";
As to how the girl becomes "integrated" into the cockpit, I'd say it works like this:
https://i.imgur.com/uloYHWZ.jpg

The girl inserts her arms and legs in big holes that are right in front of the large seat. Her outfits have integrated "handles" that detach from their tights that the boys use to help them control the robot.

And they have the "control panel" on their backs:
https://imgur.com/i0optuC

So yes, the girls are "part of the cockpit." As to why I say the girls become "the consciousness" of the robot, that's actually pretty simple. Each robot has design elements from its female pilot.

2. Now, why does the girl need the help of a boy pilot to control the Franxx if her consciousness has been integrated with it? I'd say that the answer is in the "beast mode" that we see in the new PV:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DR5d2G8UQAA_mEx.jpg

In my opinion, this isn't a power-up or a proper alternative form. This beast form is the natural form the Franxx.The Franxx are probably too complex for a single person to control, so the girl like partially loses herself once integrated with the Franxx. That's where the boy pilot comes in. They're likely meant to assist them and help them control the Franxx. With two pilots, the Franxx is able to reach human form and the girl's consciousness fully emerges:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DR6FralW0AYcYEl.jpg

As for who truly controls the Franxx, I'd say that "ideally" the girl and the boy should be perfectly synched, but the story details we know imply that 02 (the pink haired older girl) merely uses her boy partners and they all end up dead. So I guess whoever has the stronger personality prevails in the end.
ChromeEagle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:44 am Reply with quote
I could've watched that promo film with my eyes closed, and the score alone would be enough reason for me to get on board.

But admittedly, I'll be watching because I need to see what Yabuki-sensei has been up to after illustrating the masterpiece that is To Love-Ru; and naturally, our female lead is covered by none other than Lala's seiyuu. Plus we get the bonus of Marina & Saori. Also, Trigger visuals. Shocked

I'm sold in more ways than I can count on both hands.
Feli1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:09 am Reply with quote
Idk if it's the music or the way they present it I don't get the "hype vibes" this trailer did got me slightly more interested but that was near its end making the beginning parts feel pretty draggy and boring all and all I'm gonna check it out hoping that's not the case with the anime itself and that it proves me wrong..........if not I'm gonna have fun tearing it apart lol
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:13 am Reply with quote
@7ThIsGod

So presumably, the guy and the girl pilot the giant robot by having the guy RIDING on top of the girl. That would be the most Trigger thing so far! Laughing
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:51 am Reply with quote
Nice cast. Hello, NANA. lol at same Tauburn transformation scene.
amc9988

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
If this going to be 24+ episodes, it will probably be great, if this will be 12-13 episodes it will most probably be rushed and full of disappointment.

On the side note, the female main character seems cool and she acts like how a cool "male" character are to their heroine which is quite fun to see
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, it needs to be a two cour show, especially with the size of this cast of characters.

Yeah, I quite liked the brief glimpse of Zero Two interacting, and love her design.

GoldCrusader wrote:
This show looks better and better everytime I see a new PV. 2D mechs! I am really excited for it. And I even get a SIMULDUB!

Yup! Can't freaking wait!
I feel the same, what a fantastic surprise that this got picked up by Funi/CR, so excited for the simuldub!
Great to really get a nice look at the Trigger mecha action animation and special effects.

Really liked the music in the trailer too.
Also, that uplifting last track that played over the station air dates was definitely their kind of music.

Feels like a mix of Trigger and BONES, probably thanks to Koyama, which is awesome. Smile

KH91 wrote:
lol at same Tauburn transformation scene.

Yeah Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1